Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A SIMMO SAYS cycling tip for just one person

You can call it what you ****ing like, it's still a road tax!

No, it really, really isn't, and your refusal to admit this is really undermining any valid argument you may have. If it was a road tax it would be dependent upon the distance travelled - it's not. It's a tax to use a motor vehicle, based upon the amount of CO2 emitted by that vehicle. Use of a pedal bike emits less than 130g of CO2 per kilometre, so it's zero-rated. A car that does the same is similarly zero-rated.

Only this morning I saw a woman (yes a fully grown woman, not a 10 year old on his BMX) using her feet on the floor to break. What if she had to stop suddenly and couldn't, sent herself over the top of a car, no fault to the driver and died. How do you think that driver would feel?

There's absolutely no way you can win a completely hypothetical argument about road accidents between a car and a bike, no way. I mentioned earlier that I was given only about 6 inches of space by a car this morning on my way into work - what if the driver had sneezed, and I had been knocked off my bike, how do you think I would feel? (I suspect the answer is a short blast of extreme pain and then death, by the way)

One of the girls that works for me rides into work and thankfully she got busted jumping the lights. She had the choice of going on a course from the law or getting a £60 fine. She went on the course and she now appreciates how much a nuisance she was to law abiding, tax paying motorists. Shame more of you aren't like her.

I don't know who this 'you' are that you're talking about. You could make exactly the same argument about a driver speeding, yet I wouldn't accuse all car drivers of speeding just because one did.

All you're doing is constructing complete straw-man arguments about all cyclists based upon a small number of examples. Everyone (cyclist, car driver) is able to do that - do you really think that means that all car drivers or cyclists behave like that?

edit to add: I'm not a militant cyclist, I'm really not. I've only been doing it (over any reasonable distance) for four weeks or so. I'm a law-abiding cyclist that hasn't even (so far, touch wood) had a major run in with a motorist. But the ridiculous level of animosity and venom directed at cyclists by other road users (particularly motorists) I find really worrying, especially taking account of their seeming inability to admit any flaws in 'their own' (using such generalisations really makes me just as bad!). As far as I can see the continuation and potential escalation of this is only going to increase the chances of me having an incident with an angry motorist while I'm out on my commute.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just back from work----you know, that stuff some people do when not on NSC.
Have had a quick look through some of the replies to my ever so slightly 'TONGUE IN CHEEK THREAD'----amazed it got more than one reply to be honest:ohmy:
Try to get back to some of you plonkers that think I'm twatty soon-------after my First bottle of New Zealands 'FINEST'----Happy Days everyone :whisky:

:thumbsup: no wing mirrors lost today

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
On a serious note, I honestly believe a pedal cycle should have some kind of registration plate the same as cars or motorbikes, and if he/she wants to ride on the road it should have at least third party insurance.
Cyclists should have to abide by the same road laws and be held accountable too.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No, it really, really isn't, and your refusal to admit this is really undermining any valid argument you may have. If it was a road tax it would be dependent upon the distance travelled - it's not. It's a tax to use a motor vehicle, based upon the amount of CO2 emitted by that vehicle. Use of a pedal bike emits less than 130g of CO2 per kilometre, so it's zero-rated. A car that does the same is similarly zero-rated.

But you could use the same argument about MOTs. Why should someone who does 1 mile a year have to obey the same rules as someone who does 100k miles a year? If you use the road you should pay for it.

There's absolutely no way you can win a completely hypothetical argument about road accidents between a car and a bike, no way. I mentioned earlier that I was given only about 6 inches of space by a car this morning on my way into work - what if the driver had sneezed, and I had been knocked off my bike, how do you think I would feel? (I suspect the answer is a short blast of extreme pain and then death, by the way)

I don't care how you'd feel. You shouldn't be there in the first place.

I don't know who this 'you' are that you're talking about. You could make exactly the same argument about a driver speeding, yet I wouldn't accuse all car drivers of speeding just because one did.

Of course everyone speeds, the speed limits in this country are a joke! If we raised the speed limits, people would get places quicker, we'd be able to get more done and the country would be a better place for it. Speeding tickets are just another tax on the motorist. I note there isn't a speed limit for cyclists. Once again one law for you and another for us law abiding tax payers!

All you're doing is constructing complete straw-man arguments about all cyclists based upon a small number of examples. Everyone (cyclist, car driver) is able to do that - do you really think that means that all car drivers or cyclists behave like that?

It's not a small number of examples though. I walk from London Bridge to Blackfriars and back every day and every day I must witness 10 - 15 cyclists either riding on pavements or jumping the lights or talking on their mobiles. How many drivers do I see doing that? None!

Until you have proven you can behave on the road you shouldn't be allowed to use it.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
If you're so unhappy about the laws in this country CONTACT YOUR MP AND TELL THEM TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

As a driver and cyclist I will continue to use the road legally. I will pay VED for my car and have it MOT'd annually. I'll ensure that everyone who uses it is insured to do so. I'll not speed, or use my mobile while driving, and obey the rest of the highway code. I'll ride my bike in accordance with the same laws. Not what you think they are, or what you want them to be, but what they actually are.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
If you're so unhappy about the laws in this country CONTACT YOUR MP AND TELL THEM TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

As a driver and cyclist I will continue to use the road legally. I will pay VED for my car and have it MOT'd annually. I'll ensure that everyone who uses it is insured to do so. I'll not speed, or use my mobile while driving, and obey the rest of the highway code. I'll ride my bike in accordance with the same laws. Not what you think they are, or what you want them to be, but what they actually are.
[MENTION=54]teaboy[/MENTION] is there a law that says cyclists must use a purpose made cycle lane when one is a yard(old measurement) away?
At the moment I have driven in the new bus lanes in Lewes Road when there isn't a bus to be seen----am I breaking the law?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Congratulations, with that post you have been officially confirmed as NSC's very own Village Idiot for 2013, well done twatty.

[MENTION=213]GNF on Tour[/MENTION] ---- There ain't a lot of people that live in Auckland but lots of :sheep: so you don't count------------so very politely feck off-----------------------you can have my crown as the new Village Idiot of 2013----I'll send it via OCEAN LINER so you should get it in six months:)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
[MENTION=54]teaboy[/MENTION] is there a law that says cyclists must use a purpose made cycle lane when one is a yard(old measurement) away?
At the moment I have driven in the new bus lanes in Lewes Road when there isn't a bus to be seen----am I breaking the law?

Afraid not, Simmo.

Highway code rule 61:

Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Afraid not, Simmo.

Highway code rule 61:

Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

There's no compulsion for cyclists to use cycle lanes. The provision of cycle lanes does not make the use of the main carriageway by a cyclist illegal, or against the highway code.

Drivers of cars may use bus lanes if it is outside of the operational times - there'll be a blue sign to tell you when it's operational. If there's no sign then the bus lane is operational and motor vehicles must not use it unless already permitted to do so (usually taxis and motorbikes). Cyclists may use them unless specifically prohibited - again, there'll be a sign.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Afraid not, Simmo.

Highway code rule 61:

So you can pretend you are Mr L Armstrong and get a thirty tonner run over you-but its everyone's fault but yours------that sums up BRITAIN TODAY-----Its always someones fault----but not yours----coz 'I'm not gonna do what is safe for me------I'm gonna do what I want to do'.
Cyclists will come second in every car-lorry situation-------------good luck with that-------I'm twatty BTW:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you can pretend you are Mr L Armstrong and get a thirty tonner run over you-but its everyone's fault but yours------that sums up BRITAIN TODAY-----Its always someones fault----but not yours----coz 'I'm not gonna do what is safe for me------I'm gonna do what I want to do'.
Cyclists will come second in every car-lorry situation-------------good luck with that-------I'm twatty BTW:)
That about it, you're learning.

That is why it is safer riding on the road, than on a cycle path.

On the road you can be killed to death by every other user.
On a cycle path, any person/child can and will walk straight out in front of you.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

So if someone assaults you outside a pub it's your fault for being there in the first place? ???

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
That about it, you're learning.

That is why it is safer riding on the road, than on a cycle path.

On the road you can be killed to death by every other user.
On a cycle path, any person/child can and will walk straight out in front of you.
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] my original thread was about the cycle route from the Amex to Lewes Prison. I have not seen many walkers on that route for years.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] my original thread was about the cycle route from the Amex to Lewes Prison. I have not seen many walkers on that route for years.
I am not familiar with that specific cycle path, as I live in the better half of Sussex.

The other question linked into 'why don't you lot use a bloody cycle path'.

How many junctions are there to cross if you rode the length of the path?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
So if someone assaults you outside a pub it's your fault for being there in the first place? ???

Wot the feck are you on about---------------believe me I do not want to run over some big billy bollex biker. Sooner or later the bloke is going to cause an accident.
If he rides on the designated cycle path he way live to my age(56) and more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here