Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A SIMMO SAYS cycling tip for just one person

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I am not familiar with that specific cycle path, as I live in the better half of Sussex.

The other question linked into 'why don't you lot use a bloody cycle path'.

How many junctions are there to cross if you rode the length of the path?

You need to get out more on your bike --- a couple of junctions in six miles?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
So you can pretend you are Mr L Armstrong and get a thirty tonner run over you-but its everyone's fault but yours------that sums up BRITAIN TODAY-----Its always someones fault----but not yours----coz 'I'm not gonna do what is safe for me------I'm gonna do what I want to do'.
Cyclists will come second in every car-lorry situation-------------good luck with that-------I'm twatty BTW:)

Strange reply, I am just stating the highway code as it is. There are loads of cycle lanes that vere on and off of pavements and roads, that is why cyclists protested to get the second line put into that particular rule. So, often it actually is safer for us to tangle with your imaginary thirty ton truck than to ride in the cycle lane that ends abruptly, or just disappears, or has someone parked in it, or narrows down to less than a foot.

Here are a couple of pictures from Dyke Road, a cycle lane I ride next to on a daily basis.

cars_parked_in_Dyke_Road_1.jpg2933486299_eb46f8a5c1_z.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When I'm next in the area I may well photograph a nearly local cycle lane, that is about 6 foot long :lol:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Wot the feck are you on about---------------believe me I do not want to run over some big billy bollex biker. Sooner or later the bloke is going to cause an accident.
If he rides on the designated cycle path he way live to my age(56) and more.

How exactly would he cause an accident?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
See, you just take the piss mate------but it will be car & lorry drivers coming home for their tea when you are strawberry jam on the road.

Why do you think SB's taking the piss? Try looking at the cycle lanes in this country!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Strange reply, I am just stating the highway code as it is. There are loads of cycle lanes that vere on and off of pavements and roads, that is why cyclists protested to get the second line put into that particular rule. So, often it actually is safer for us to tangle with your imaginary thirty ton truck than to ride in the cycle lane that ends abruptly, or just disappears, or has someone parked in it, or narrows down to less than a foot.

Here are a couple of pictures from Dyke Road, a cycle lane I ride next to on a daily basis.

View attachment 42322View attachment 42323

I have lost the will to argue to be honest-------------I was nearly killed riding a Yamaha 175 Trials bike in 1976 so do not fecking preach to me----you will always come second best in any collision. But if you want to prove different --------------carry on.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Why do you think SB's taking the piss? Try looking at the cycle lanes in this country!

Do you think Gus will play his strongest side tomorrow---------------that is a lot more interesting than you trying to prove a point.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I have lost the will to argue to be honest-------------I was nearly killed riding a Yamaha 175 Trials bike in 1976 so do not fecking preach to me----you will always come second best in any collision. But if you want to prove different --------------carry on.

There's no need to argue. All the cyclists on here know they'll come off worse in almost every collision. Nobody has said otherwise. People have generally stated what the law/highway code currently is.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

All cyclists know that we will come off second best in most collisions, that is why when we choose not to ride in a cycle lane it is pretty clear that the cycle lane is just not a very sensible or safe place to ride. I am not preaching to you I have stated the law and tried to explain to you why cyclists might not want to use cycle lanes. Whilst you have insinuated, and threatened, death to cyclists who do not follow the rules that you have made up.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
See, you just take the piss mate------but it will be car & lorry drivers coming home for their tea when you are strawberry jam on the road.
Oh don't be like that, I don't want to go out and photogragh it tonight, I've got my Giro team to pick.

But I will take the pic tomorrow, assuming the tarmac'ers haven't got there first.

But it genuinely is a cycle lane, coloured red, with a tiny bike painted on, less than 6 feet long.

It always makes me smile.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Oh don't be like that, I don't want to go out and photogragh it tonight, I've got my Giro team to pick.

But I will take the pic tomorrow, assuming the tarmac'ers haven't got there first.

But it genuinely is a cycle lane, coloured red, with a tiny bike painted on, less than 6 feet long.

It always makes me smile.

To everyone who has contributed to my thread----I wish you all good cycling----honestly-------------------------WILL GUS PLAY TO WIN TOMORROW?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For picking and choosing to follow only parts of the Highway Code they feel applicable, whereas the rest of us would be done.

Car drivers 99% of the time get away with:

Speeding, going through lights just turned red, blocking junctions in traffic jams, using mobiles whilst driving, undertaking, tailgating .....

Does paying car tax, vat and fuel duty, excuse these offences carried out in a 1.5 tonne missile?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Car drivers 99% of the time get away with:

Speeding, going through lights just turned red, blocking junctions in traffic jams, using mobiles whilst driving, undertaking, tailgating .....

Does paying car tax, vat and fuel duty, excuse these offences carried out in a 1.5 tonne missile?

Speeding, dealt with by fixed and mobile speed cameras plus police patrol vehicles

Jumping red lights dealt with by fixed cameras.

Blocking junctions dealt with by using cameras... again..

Driving while using a mobile phone dealt with by police and on occasions by camera.

Cycling too fast on the prom/through brighton's 20mph limit dealt with by.. er, nothing

Cycling through red lights er, not dealt with...

Cycling while on a phone... ditto

Cycling up and down pavements rarely dealt with

Cycling without lights rarely dealt with

Persistently breaking all of the above resulting in a permanent or short term ban .. not dealt with.

Feb 3, 2013
Speeding, dealt with by fixed and mobile speed cameras plus police patrol vehicles

Driving while using a mobile phone dealt with by police and on occasions by camera.

Cycling too fast on the prom/through brighton's 20mph limit dealt with by.. er, nothing

Persistently breaking all of the above resulting in a permanent or short term ban .. not dealt with.

Preety much somes it up. Thread closed.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Strangely I've probably committed all of these offences at some point whilst driving, and yet nothing ever came of any of it. The vast majority of the time drivers get away with it - why do you see so many people slowing down for speed cameras?!

All the cycling offences can be, and are dealt with by the police, in the same way as the driving offences. IF they catch you you MIGHT be stopped and MIGHT be given a ticket.

I'm certainly not condoning people cycling like idiots, or driving like idiots, but it's simply not true to say that drivers are ALWAYS punished for everything and cyclists are never punished.

You could always contact the 'police and crime commissioner', or local council, or the police directly and ask them to do something about it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

As someone who rides and drives in about equal amounts I can honestly say the only things on list i do are speeding in my car and blocking junctions (both on very rare occasions and never deliberately). While I am riding my bike I am aware how vulnerable I am and make sure I act in the safest way possible. Most of the dangers i encounter on my bike are people open their car doors without looking and blocking the cycle lane in front of me (my mate ended up in hospital because of this last year), drivers driving carelessly or on mobile phones and not seeing me or hate filled moron deliberately setting out to disrupt my ride.

The cyclists I know ride safely (like most drivers i know) and within the law and do not deserve the hatred, bile and death wishes dished out by some of the morons on this thread.

Last edited:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

And your point is null and voided by the fact I've been done for speeding on a pushbike. The policeman was impressed that I was doing 37mph through Seaford town centre though (I had been slip streaming a van shortly before). One hell of an ear bashing from Mr Policeman and I was on my way.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011

For me when any of these offences are committed (and most of the driving offences are not caught by Police/Cameras) the most important aspect is whether you are likely to cause death/injury to others. I don't really care what people do with their own lives but ultimately the impact of car drives acting recklessly is far more likely to cause injury to others.

I both drive and cycle and as most sensible people point out there are idiots using both. I find it scary some people have such venom towards cyclists when most of us just want to get from A to B safely and are sensible road users. Would be good if we were treated on our own merits, as I would a car driver, rather than lumped together as somekind of scum and realise that you can be so vunerable on a bike especially with fast moving traffic.

Also cyclists riding faster than 20mph, really, it happens that often?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here