50% of Brighton fans are gay

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Liz gets interviewed by the Argus & Radio Sussex on a regular basis as the media rep on the Supporters' Club committee. She turns down lots of interviews as she doesn't want to comment on them and they are sometimes on a subject where she doesn't feel the view is relevant. The phone calls can even be intrusive as we found out spending time with her in Portugal last preseason.
If you don't like her as vice chair of the Supporters' club then join it and vote her out.
I'm surprised that so many feel the need to post her photograph and mock a female pensioner who takes care of the disabled and elderly fans some of whom have been supporting the Albion since before the Second World war, on away trips. She also helped on the Falmer for All committee who helped win the stadium with hours & hours of hard work. Players who have had testimonials recently and currently have chosen her to be on their testimonial committee because of all her hard work.
You may not agree with her views but keep the discussion on subject rather than make personal abusive comments about her. For those who also want to make comments about her relationships, she lives with John Lees the Radio Sussex sports presenter.

Good post.

LC has made a bit of a daft statement here, but some of the personal comments and abuse are totally unjustified. That woman does more good for the Albion, and fellow Albion fans, than 99% of people on here, ever will.

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
Exactly. Why would it matter if 50% of the crowd were gay?

Why would it increase?

Stating that 50% of Albion fans are gay just reinforces the view held by some away fans that we are all homosexuals thus increasing the potential for more homophobic use. If Liz Costa is the voice of the Supporters' club why would I want to join? Even if I did try and vote her off, chances are her cronies would close rank and block the motion. I'm sure she's done some sterling work on behalf of the supporters in the past but perhaps the time has come when she needs to take a good hard look at herself and consider whether she really continues to represent the best interests of the supporters. I've no idea how many members the Supporters' club currently has but in 2002/03 it was 350 so chances are she only speaks for a small minority of the fans.

LE19

Exactly. Why would it matter if 50% of the crowd were gay?

Why would it increase?

Liz gets interviewed by the Argus & Radio Sussex on a regular basis as the media rep on the Supporters' Club committee. She turns down lots of interviews as she doesn't want to comment on them and they are sometimes on a subject where she doesn't feel the view is relevant. The phone calls can even be intrusive as we found out spending time with her in Portugal last preseason.
If you don't like her as vice chair of the Supporters' club then join it and vote her out.
I'm surprised that so many feel the need to post her photograph and mock a female pensioner who takes care of the disabled and elderly fans some of whom have been supporting the Albion since before the Second World war, on away trips. She also helped on the Falmer for All committee who helped win the stadium with hours & hours of hard work. Players who have had testimonials recently and currently have chosen her to be on their testimonial committee because of all her hard work.
You may not agree with her views but keep the discussion on subject rather than make personal abusive comments about her. For those who also want to make comments about her relationships, she lives with John Lees the Radio Sussex sports presenter.

Well posted Ned. This thread is getting rather personal and abusive isn't it?

What does it matter about the %age?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Stating that 50% of Albion fans are gay just reinforces the view held by some away fans that we are all homosexuals thus increasing the potential for more homophobic use..

Maybe, if they were truly thick.

If Liz Costa is the voice of the Supporters' club why would I want to join? Even if I did try and vote her off, chances are her cronies would close rank and block the motion.

Really? You know that for a fact? Or just prejudicial guesswork?

I'm sure she's done some sterling work on behalf of the supporters in the past but perhaps the time has come when she needs to take a good hard look at herself and consider whether she really continues to represent the best interests of the supporters. I've no idea how many members the Supporters' club currently has but in 2002/03 it was 350 so chances are she only speaks for a small minority of the fans.

For the fourth time, she doesn't represent the supporters - and never has.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
listening to radio Sussex today as they were reporting that a new MP report has highlighted homophobia is now the most prevalent form of discrimination in football.

Liz Costa was interviewed regarding her campaign to stop this problem and came out with this statement.

"we know that half our crowd is quite probably on the basis of being Brighton probably is gay"

50%!!!!!!...........really? thats quite a sweeping statement.

BBC Sussex - Sarah Gorrell, 19/09/2012 piece starts 1 hr 39 mins

One of the most homophobic, ignorant bloody statements I have heard

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
I don't find the homophobic chants in any way acceptable or appealing but they probably aren't going away anytime soon. The humour in our response puts us on a higher plane. Time for everyone to sing the full words to Sussex by the Sea at the beginning of the match and show our disdain for the Neanderthal.

It is possible that the chanting brings us all much closer as fans in the same way as Millwall fans believe (rightly) that not too many people like them and use that to bond and be stronger as a group.

As homophobic chanting is the peddling of hate, are the boring "Stand up if you hate palace" chants any better?

Humour against the opposition and strong support for our team are the strongest demonstrations of support for our club. I am very proud that we are an exceptionally inclusive club and no other percentage, other than we are 100% behind the team, really matters.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As has been said, it's silly daft comment and not knowing her felt some unwarranted animosity aimed towards her, however judging by some posts in the past she has upset some people and I wonder why ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just that NSC posters are a minority of Albion supporters, and not necessarily representative of typical opinion.

(As opposed to "representing" supporters at meetings with the club.)

NSC has been 'represented' at fans' meetings with the club, along with many other groups, including the Supporters Club.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just that NSC posters are a minority of Albion supporters, and not necessarily representative of typical opinion.

(As opposed to "representing" supporters at meetings with the club.)

Fair enough, but NSC has never tried to be a representative of supporters, it's a bit like accusing NSC of representing religious opinion just because we had a 'Does God Exist' thread.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
The supporter's club has a vice section?

That's scary. The thought of ***** ***** doing an enormous **** on a (heavily reinforced) Ikea glass coffee table whilst the likes of *** and *** ***** are underneath ******* themselves off puts me off my Shreddies. I just hope the new software that Bozza has installed to prevent Google Ads picking up disgusting phrases or images in the head is working!

I've tried and tried, but I can't fit Terry Connor in any of those asterix...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

I have said for a long long time that Liz Costa is totally out of touch with the fans now. And this proves it. She is brilliant and does and did do great things for a club but she is no longer representative of more than about 100 supporters club type dick knight cronies and should be left as that. As a voice of the fans she is completely lost now.

The supporters club needs a total revamp. They make no effort to seek new members, have nothing in the programme about it, and frankly it's just a prviate club for those that have been in it for years. How can a club with less than a few hundred members represent nearly 30,000 fans and call themselves the official supporters club. Its a complete joke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports