Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

50% of Brighton fans are gay

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Stating that 50% of Albion fans are gay just reinforces the view held by some away fans that we are all homosexuals thus increasing the potential for more homophobic use. If Liz Costa is the voice of the Supporters' club why would I want to join? Even if I did try and vote her off, chances are her cronies would close rank and block the motion. I'm sure she's done some sterling work on behalf of the supporters in the past but perhaps the time has come when she needs to take a good hard look at herself and consider whether she really continues to represent the best interests of the supporters. I've no idea how many members the Supporters' club currently has but in 2002/03 it was 350 so chances are she only speaks for a small minority of the fans.

Does it bother you that much, in the overall scheme of things if away fans shout homophobic abuse? Are you affected by it? If so...why?

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Thank goodness for the likes of A21 Club, Blues Away, Mid Sussex Seagulls etc etc

All of whom have a great relationship with the Supporters club and have been in contact in the last few days regarding the 2 benches for the Memorial Garden which the club are purchasing with supporter's money. Darren was also contacted but hasn't yet posted it on Nsc.
For the record, I've never seen a game of bingo either on the coach or at a meeting. :smile:

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
only hate speech in a public place according to the law, and too chant does your boyfriend know here doesnt really constitute that infringement.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
All of whom have a great relationship with the Supporters club and have been in contact in the last few days regarding the 2 benches for the Memorial Garden which the club are purchasing with supporter's money. Darren was also contacted but hasn't yet posted it on Nsc.
For the record, I've never seen a game of bingo either on the coach or at a meeting. :smile:

Ned ...your boys took a hell of a beating last night.

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
1) most brighton fans are born in brighton or sussex
2) the reason for brightons high gay population is that a lot of gay people MOVE to brighton......being born in brighton makes you no more or less likely to be gay than anywhere else in the country
3) we may pick up SOME gay fans who have moved to brighton, but nowhere NEAR 50%.....probably not even 5%
Nail on head with this.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This page says it all by the way:

AGM Photos

What person under 50 is going to think about joining this organisation?

And I can guarantee this is the first time most people have even gone near the website. I didn't know it even existed until today.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I should add that I have nothing against any of the individuals in the supporters club or their committee. However there is no way that they can continue to be making statements on behalf of supporters as Liz Costa occasionally does.

I know there is an argument that she is just giving her views so so what, but invariably she is quoted as representing Brighton supporters and that's how it will be seen. Time for that to stop. In fact that time came about ten years ago.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
just a question who says that homophobia is unacceptable. Tell me why that too voice an opinion on homosexual intercourse is wrong. I have never really understood why it upsets people so much. People choose this lifestyle and it is bound to upset a few people, move on and accept it, not everyone shares the same belief that homosexuality is a normal lifestyle.

Wow.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Sorry to digress a little bit.. But what, in the name of all that is holy, is this?

LogoCrowd-850-n.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This page says it all by the way:

AGM Photos

What person under 50 is going to think about joining this organisation?

And I can guarantee this is the first time most people have even gone near the website. I didn't know it even existed until today.

On the committee tab, the picture when you open it, the fans there is our very own woodingdean seagull , tony, the chair of remf

Marvellous scenes.

And further down, lord ed of firle in his front room with the very great and good of the club fans. Great photo!

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Well posted Ned. This thread is getting rather personal and abusive isn't it?

What does it matter about the %age?

Indeed.

There seems to be a lot of unnecessary abuse & vitriol on this forum these days. Maybe some of the inadequates are looking for new hate figures since the respective high-profile accusations of racism in football & recent Hillsborough conclusions? That said, NSC probably just reflects the attitudes of wider society - so it's possibly my bad for half-expecting things to be any different.

Hey bleedin' Ho.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here