Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

12000+ empty seats at Falmer

Its imperative to be able to pay on the day (not necessarily on the gate). It would be nonsensical to turn away 'casual' fans due to overly complex rules. If its not quick, easy and obvious, many will just not bother. This is a really important way to grow the fan-base.

well, they can just buy aticket in advance like the rest of us

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
I know far more of those times than my age would suggest, but I can't quite grasp what you're getting at.

Archer, Stanley and Bellotti raped and conspired to murder the Albion, but what did 'the club' as an entity do that was so bad in your eyes?

A little naive if you think "the club" were squeaky clean in the violation of the Goldstone. The bulldozers didnt get sent in by those 3 repugnant, rat like,scum without a lot of wheels getting greased. A lot of people and organisations said yes when they could of said no. I couldnt build a window in my loft FFS, corruption is all around us not just in the houses of parlament and the x factor.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
A little naive if you think "the club" were squeaky clean in the violation of the Goldstone. The bulldozers didnt get sent in by those 3 repugnant, rat like,scum without a lot of wheels getting greased. A lot of people and organisations said yes when they could of said no. I couldnt build a window in my loft FFS, corruption is all around us not just in the houses of parlament and the x factor.

Here we go! Bit late on a Friday for this... perhaps it's time for a nice glass of Morgon and some Paprika Pringles?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Such as whom?

When you have majority control of the club - as Archer did, you can, if you want to, do what you want with it. Who could have stopped them? Lawyers? The courts? They weren't doing anything illegal. Immoral, yes but not illegal.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
My estimate of the attendances at Falmer were very similar to Uncle Spielberg until I heard that supporters would not be able to purchase tickets on the day, at the stadium.The fact that you would not need to buy a season ticket due to the fact that 22,000 seats are available means the club should be making every assistance to those attending,the fact they have made this amazing decision can only lower attendances.
I cant imagine that local cinemas will be following suit.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you listen to MP on the Albion Roar from last week (iTunes podcast or from their site) he explains in absolute clarity how the system will work. You will even be able to send a text from your mobile phone as you walk up to the ground and you'll be able to get in. Don’t take my explanation of it, listen to MP, I think he probably knows far better how it will work.

If it is your first time ever, then you'll need to go through a sign up process, but then you have to do that at pretty much any club, or ticket agency, where it is "all ticket" for games or events. But once you have done it, you don't need to do it again. So not only will you be able to "walk-up" to a game, but you won't actually need any money with you at the time. The Oyster system works fine on London Transport, and that has somewhat more than 20K users, I understand our system will work like that. STH will have their own card to swipe at the gates (no turnstiles, just gates like at railway stations).

Like I mentioned, listen to MP, he explains it quite clearly. Really, people should try not to get so irrational about something they clearly know insufficient about. It is the modern world, and Falmer will epitomise the way a modern stadium works.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My estimate of the attendances at Falmer were very similar to Uncle Spielberg until I heard that supporters would not be able to purchase tickets on the day, at the stadium.The fact that you would not need to buy a season ticket due to the fact that 22,000 seats are available means the club should be making every assistance to those attending,the fact they have made this amazing decision can only lower attendances.

Blimey, you're more negative than the board's most negative, er, person.

Why do you say 'you can't buy tickets on the day?' Where did that little nugget come from?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Why do you say 'you can't buy tickets on the day?' Where did that little nugget come from?

Where so many such items come from, cloud cuckoo land or somewhere nearby.
:US::US::US::US::US:
The perfect opportunity to use that smiley

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

It's all bollocks really. No one can accurately predict attendances at Falmer, it's purely speculation. Perhaps the inforced ticketing restrictions will have a negative effect on ticket sales but there is really no evidence to suggest it will.

There will probably be people on here in two years time claiming the reason they don't go to Falmer is because of being unable to 'pay on the gate' but I suspect they probably wouldn't have bothered turning up if Tony Bloom himself, hand delivered the ticket and drove them there.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry CS, what EXACTLY are these ticketing restrictions? can you explain them please, I have listened to the horses mouth as it were, and his explaination is that there will be no ticketing restrictions, far from it, it will be just about the easiest place to get into on matchdays.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Sorry CS, what EXACTLY are these ticketing restrictions? can you explain them please, I have listened to the horses mouth as it were, and his explaination is that there will be no ticketing restrictions, far from it, it will be just about the easiest place to get into on matchdays.

I thought one of the conditions of the planning concent was that tickets would not be sold at the at the Stadium? Personally I think a cashless stadium will be convenient and work eficiently but if i'm correct then that it is a ticketing restriction, albeit one that doesn't bother me.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
People will always find excuses not to buy tickets - particularly as people are deadset on convincing themselves and others that it will be a hassle to follow the team. A successful team will put a stop to that.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
If you listen to MP on the Albion Roar from last week (iTunes podcast or from their site) he explains in absolute clarity how the system will work. You will even be able to send a text from your mobile phone as you walk up to the ground and you'll be able to get in. Don’t take my explanation of it, listen to MP, I think he probably knows far better how it will work.

If it is your first time ever, then you'll need to go through a sign up process, but then you have to do that at pretty much any club, or ticket agency, where it is "all ticket" for games or events. But once you have done it, you don't need to do it again. So not only will you be able to "walk-up" to a game, but you won't actually need any money with you at the time. The Oyster system works fine on London Transport, and that has somewhat more than 20K users, I understand our system will work like that. STH will have their own card to swipe at the gates (no turnstiles, just gates like at railway stations).

Like I mentioned, listen to MP, he explains it quite clearly. Really, people should try not to get so irrational about something they clearly know insufficient about. It is the modern world, and Falmer will epitomise the way a modern stadium works.

er right oh, but er sorry if i am er a bit er slow but er, if you can er buy a er ticket by er sending a text when at the stadium then er why not just er have a er turnstile? You know the thing that clicked after you paid a few quid, and was all a part of the football experience for about a 100 years. Bloody funny. Not an ounce of common sense in that policy is there? The best thing is, they think they are clever and forward looking. But if they had brains they would be dangerous.

On the "nothing illegal" point of TLO he is almost right, depending on what he means by "legal". Criminal no, but someone valued the soldstone at £3/4 Million one year and then it was re valued a year later at £35 odd Million. Interesting, give it some thought. The club is a separate entity to its directors, shareholders and the club could have looked to the valuer to er "seek an answer" as to why the price for the site had gone up or perhaps maybe £30 Million. But too many years have gone by now for that. Was it looked at after the take over by Knight? Naive if not, but I doubt Knight was naive, so maybe another reason. But it was always something that has interested me. However its all too late for that now

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I thought one of the conditions of the planning concent was that tickets would not be sold at the at the Stadium? Personally I think a cashless stadium will be convenient and work eficiently but if i'm correct then that it is a ticketing restriction, albeit one that doesn't bother me.

The thing is, if you are correct and the planning prevents them selling a ticket at the turnstile (gates), then with this system you buy them with your mobile/web/landline while you are on the train/bus/car travelling to the ground, so really couldn't be much more convenient. I imagine you'll be able to go into the shop to buy one too, or get one sent to you by the post.

er right oh, but er sorry if i am er a bit er slow but er, if you can er buy a er ticket by er sending a text when at the stadium then er why not just er have a er turnstile? You know the thing that clicked after you paid a few quid, and was all part of the football experience for about a 100 years. Bloody funny. Not an ounce of common sense in that policy is there? The best thing is, they think they are clever and forward looking. But if they had brains they would be dangerous.

Becasue then there is no cash changing hands, it is quicker, and saves time, what is less difficult? Forget 100 years, in case you haven't noticed, football has changed quite a bit. Even if you "turn up" at many grounds to pay on the day, rarely do they take cash on the turnstile, you have to queue at a ticket booth. I know of no Premier league grounds take cash at the turnstile, few of the Championship, and already this season several of the League one teams don't. The club are breaking any new ground here, putting in a far superior system. Anyone who went to Norwich without a ticket knows the ticket booths are around the other side of the stadium to the away end, and you queue with the home fans.

Why do people have such a downer on this concept? thousands of Londoners have been using Oyster for years, and it is ultra convenient. What is wrong with it, if it is quicker, easier, and safer? Do you fear change?

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Having listened to Martin Perry I've softened my stance slightly and I really do think that ease of purchasing tickets on the day will not be the real issue. I do like the 'cashless stadium' concept whereby I can (like the old days) decide at the very last moment that I want to attend and just troll up there with my 'Oystercard' and get in - and then buy a pint afterwards with it as well. No planning in advance, no going to the shop, no going on line and certainly no ringing the ticket office - indeed no 'ticket' in the current sense at all. Yes I'll have to be registered and no doubt people who have unregistered friends from outside the area turning up unannounced on the day of the game and wanting to go to the match will be disappointed and that's bad, but it is the circumstances in which we (currently) find ourselves. (I may still not go or not buy a pint if I consider it over-priced but that's another argument entirely).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Meant to add that (as I mentioned earlier) I think transport will prove to be a far bigger issue than ticketing. There's a worrying glimpse of the future on 'Ask the Club' where Twinkle Toes asks what happened to the extra buses going into town after Leeds. Insider said that due to adverse weather conditions and congestion in the town centre only a third of the extra buses were availiable.

I can just imagine that at Falmer: A 20,000 or so crowd for a match with Palace. Adverse weather and congestion means a severe lack of buses - and then signal failure and/or a body on the line (DON'T tell me it can't happen) means that the trains are up the spout as well. All the brainwashed FOOLS who think that public transport is better than private will have a bit of explaining to do then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here