Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

12000+ empty seats at Falmer

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't understand some people's attitude to other clubs/cities. Who are we to patronise Norwich FFS, with our 5,000 fans to their 25,000?

Norwich is a place that has always been patted on the head by the national media, but they have just got their heads down, got on with it, and as a result have probably one of the best places to live in the country. Less to do than Brighton? If that was true once, I would say no longer, and certainly if pubs are important to you there is no finer selection anywhere.

Plus their support is quite simply outstanding. There as a queue of coaches (for home fans) outside the ground last night from the further-flung outposts of Norfolk that reminded me a little bit of Celtic Park.
When I pointed out on here about 5 years ago that Norwich and Ipswich were the true hotbeds of football support in England (and not Liverpool or Newcastle), you laughed at me!

So I agree with you. The support at these two clubs has always been first class and the support at Norwich this season has been simply amazing really.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with the sentiment of Simon195's post, if not the way it was presented. It's great that we've got Falmer and that it is in about the best location we could have got at the end of the day, but it doesn't mean fans don't have big reservations about the fact that its out of town location might put people off going to games. For me personally it's great that I can cycle there because the last thing I want after games is to be waiting around for the pleasure of being on a packed train or bus with someone's armpit in my mouth.
I don't think the fact that it's out of town will put many people off. Bolton play in Horwich, 5 or 6 miles outside Bolton I think. Reading's ground is on the outskirts and there must be plenty of examples.

I do, however, suspect we'll have a big big problem sustaining any new fan base, because cash on the turnstile is a no-no and people will soon get pissed off with queuing to get out of the place. But we've done these issues to death on here, so I'm quite happy to wait for thing to be built first and see how it pans out.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
When I pointed out on here about 5 years ago that Norwich and Ipswich were the true hotbeds of football support in England (and not Liverpool or Newcastle), you laughed at me!

I always laugh at you! Nah, you must have me mixed up with some other argumentative numpty. East Angular - it's the future.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
can't agree with you more buddy, for myself i will be getting the train from newhaven - a whole 2 stops, as opposed to currently driving to mill road and getting on the bus. i think plenty of people will be using our new shiny stadium.

Perhaps it’s not ideal for everyone but settling for an out of town location is the reality for almost all new stadiums. For me Falmer will add about 15 minutes to my journey time but I would imagine that for many, like yourself it will be much easier and quicker to access the stadium.

In an ideal world, our new Stadium would be in a central location where you could pay on the gate, stand in a terrace with a beer in your hand and only part with a tenner but it isn’t an ideal world it’s the football world full of red tape and restrictions. We should just be glad that in a City where almost all new developments get postponed and inturn scrapped we are getting a state of the art home.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
hahahahaaa. Are you Charlt*n in disguise?

Busses from Croydon to Falmer would be amazing. Croydon is an area crying out for access to a decent football stadium/football team. :p

Joking aside your horrible lot have done well in creating fan bases in large towns like Crawley, the Albion should be seriously looking at stealing back some of these supporters. Laying on coaches would be a very good idea, it worked for Charlton much to the annoyance of those Kentish pikeys!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I do, however, suspect we'll have a big big problem sustaining any new fan base, because cash on the turnstile is a no-no and people will soon get pissed off with queuing to get out of the place. But we've done these issues to death on here, so I'm quite happy to wait for thing to be built first and see how it pans out.
Yeah, I think that's my view now. Personally I feel the club should currently be a bit more pro-active in (re)building the fan base in advance of Falmer (marketing, ticketing, sales strategies etc), but they've obviously got the opposite view. Rather than waste effort (and spend money) now they seem to have pretty much written Withdean off and are preparing for a re-launch of the Albion 'product' once we move; it'll almost be like a new club.

There WILL be teething problems and some issues may have to be looked at again (even if that means trying to get more 'permissions' from the various relevant authorities) but at the moment we don't know what they'll be. I'm worried about transport (especially people coming from the west via train) but time will tell.

Oh, and as for someone saying it's in the 'wrong place' :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

well i think the new ground is totally in the the wrong place...dont ask me why but it is.. far too far out the way for a start ! and what a dreary area ... and yes it will remain half empty on most match days.. unless.. 1) we get in championship. 2) someone or persons invest large amounts of money for decent quality players.. not has beens, like we been getting !!!:shrug:

bit late to start worrying about the location.:laugh:

and for those of who can remember going to The Goldstone by train, it will be no different going to Falmer than it was going to Hove.

it will still require a change of trains.

There needs to be Bha stands or shops in towns outside Brighton selling tickets & Albion gear. What marketing does the club do in worthing, eastbourne or haywards Heath? Nowt!

It's not just on the field of play that we are third rate

why do you need a shop in Haywards Heath when it is BRIGHTON & HOVE Albion:tantrum:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can't be bothered to go through other posts so can someone simply answer this: (if it has been announced yet - if not, are there any indications as to)

Are people going to be able to pay on the gate at Falmer?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
why do you need a shop in Haywards Heath when it is BRIGHTON & HOVE Albion:tantrum:

Why is it, whenever I go into JJB or Sports World, in any town or city, they've always sold out of BHA shirts (none on the racks). They always have Munure, Chelski and others left over (must be a smaller fan base) but never any blue 'n' white stripes.

We should write to our PMs I tell yer! :angry:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Can't be bothered to go through other posts so can someone simply answer this: (if it has been announced yet - if not, are there any indications as to)

Are people going to be able to pay on the gate at Falmer?

No you cant pay on the gate. You have to get a top up card of sorts, top that up and then whatever you buy is creditted from that card.

A Cashless stadium is the theory

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
and for those of who can remember going to The Goldstone by train, it will be no different going to Falmer than it was going to Hove.

Eh? If you were coming from Brighton or on the West Coastway it did NOT require a change of train to get to Hove - one train took you straight there. (Even East Croydon and Haywards Heath had direct trains to Hove!)

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Its imperative to be able to pay on the day (not necessarily on the gate). It would be nonsensical to turn away 'casual' fans due to overly complex rules. If its not quick, easy and obvious, many will just not bother. This is a really important way to grow the fan-base.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Its imperative to be able to pay on the day (not necessarily on the gate). It would be nonsensical to turn away 'casual' fans due to overly complex rules. If its not quick, easy and obvious, many will just not bother. This is a really important way to grow the fan-base.

According to Martin Perry, season ticket holders will have, for want of a better term, glorified Oyster cards (even the turnstiles will be like those at railway stations, rather than barred gates). You can also use this card to buy drinks, food, merchandise etc inside the stadium.

First-time buyers are given a paper ticket, but will be sent a card to their home address as soon as they have done that, so that a return visit will mean topping up your card either on a match-by-match basis or en bloc.

They also intend putting ticket kiosks at the P&R sites, Brighton Station and Lewes Station.

People will be given the opportunity to obtain these cards well before Falmer opens, STH being given first priority.

He said more, but I'd have to listen again to remember properly.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Except there are four times as many trains between Brighton and Hove and they can be twice as big!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here