Your coldest ever match

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nick Rowles

Naughty Nick
Jan 20, 2010
Uxbridge
Can't remember how cold it was but losing 0-4 to Swindon away in the late 70s for the game to be abandoned due to snow with 20 mins to go warmed us up, as Swindon invaded the pitch and tried ti blame us for the weather. Pity we lost the re-arranged match!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Me too.

Mind you, it was worth playing in it just to see DTG/Granny Weatherwax seize up and collapse after his first goalkick of the game. :lol:

so much for the professional coach who didn't warm me up properly!!! I still get hassle from my calf muscle after all these years!!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The coldest I've ever been at a football match was at Kidderminster V Plymouth in a Tuesday evening FA Cup replay. I was at college in Worcester at the time, hence the rather random fixture. Aggborough is on a plateau above Kidderminster and catches all the worst weather.....the match was 50/50 to be played due to a semi-frozen pitch, the ref decided it was playable but just before half time a bank of freezing fog drifted in. You literally couldn't see the pitch from the terraces. The start of the second half was delayed for 45 minutes and was eventually abandoned.

I was so cold that night that I could barely talk, I got back to the car and all the locks were frozen....the joke was I stayed 'til the bitter end to watch two teams I've got no affinity with. The replayed replay was the following week, that ended at 0-0 after extra time and Plymouth eventually won on penalties....I went to that as well, but have never been back since!

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Plymouth away on New Year's Day in early 90s, maybe '93 or '94, bloody freezing with f***ing arctic wind

That's the one I was going to say. That away terrace was so open.

But, also outside the UK:

Dynamo Dresden vs. Stuttgart in the Bundesliga in the early 90s, just after reunification, -10 degrees. My Dresden mate refused to go, but we did, to see an orange ball and players slipping all over the place. The only goal was in 93rd minute for Dresden. TV caught the reaction of the Stuttgart manager (Christophe Daum) as he was hit full in the face with a snowball, just as the goal went in.

Also, MSV Duisburg vs. St. Pauli in Duisburg's pre-developed ground. Also very open, very windy.

These Germans know how to do cold, though the Plymouth one might beat them all for that icy wind, that was not pleasant.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I remember a match a few years ago at Withdean where I was so cold that I clenched my muscles for the whole game. When I got back in the car and then home I'm sure my body went into some kind of shock as I was in agony for about 2 hours.

Quite scary it was.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Millwall at home 2 years ago i think, when we won 4-1. Never been so cold in my life!

This; and the New Years' Day game against Bournemouth a couple of years ago (when Henderson gifted Bournemouth an injury time winner). I can't decide which one was coldest - both times it was the combination of cold and rain that was the killer.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not sure if it was THE coldest I've ever been, but New Years Day this year, I was at Grays for their game against Ebbsfleet, and puddles we splashed through walking onto the terrace at the start of the game, were solid ice as we shuffled away after the game.

FCUM match at Gigg Lane. Got home at 2.30am and my feet had just thawed out! It was absolute
fffffffffrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Remember helping clear snow of the Goldstone pitch in the early-mid eighties, for a cup game I think (can't remember exactly), so must have been pretty cold then.

Coldest game I remember was away at Wigan in about 92/93 when I lived in Manchester. Snowed during the game, last time I saw an orange Ball being used. I was with a mate who supported Wigan so wasn't in the away end, but wasn't undercover. Could have moved into the covered stand, but you had to join the Wigan supporters club for a couple of quid.. strange entry requirement!

Bugs Hill

Jan 13, 2004
I wasn't there, but wonder if anyone can spot themselves, Palace at Goldstone, 12/1/63:

Soccer-Football-League-Division-Three-Brighton-and-Hove-Albion-v-Crystal-Palace_682031.jpg

I'm not in that one ..... but I am in this one!

soccer-football-league-division-three-brighton-and-hove-albion-v-crystal-palace_1719347.jpg

I remember pelting the Palace winger with snowballs!

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I was writing a match report for Pagham v. Whitehawk in about January 2002, and because my hands were so cold, there were five minute gaps in the time-line, as I had to put my hands in my pockets to thaw out :lolol:

Also played in a Sunday league game again in a January, on a pitch near Hangleton I think, that had a view of the sea, with a full-on southerly (?) blowing, making it a wee bit chilly :lolol:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Remember helping clear snow of the Goldstone pitch in the early-mid eighties, for a cup game I think (can't remember exactly), so must have been pretty cold then.

Probably v Peterborough (replay). I helped clear the pitch too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports