Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your coldest ever match

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Today is getting to be my coldest. :cry:

I was so cold V Tranmere (either last season, or season before) that my skin went blue and orange.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Away at Hull City, one Wednesday night in January 1996.

Bloody freezing.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Oldham's supposed to be the ground at highest elevation in English league and therefore probably the coldest.

I always thought that, but Wikepedia (often total bollocks) says that West Brom is the highest professional ground...three metres above the ground I will be at this afternoon, namely The New Lawn.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Millwall at home 2 years ago i think, when we won 4-1. Never been so cold in my life!

That was my WETTEST ever game.

My coldest, New Year's Day at Torquay 1996/97. The day that "Jump around, if you hate Archer" was invented, primarily to keep warm.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I wasn't there, but wonder if anyone can spot themselves, Palace at Goldstone, 12/1/63:

Soccer-Football-League-Division-Three-Brighton-and-Hove-Albion-v-Crystal-Palace_682031.jpg

I was 2 months old at the time, and, no I don't remember it

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I hitched to Birmingham for the Walsall v Brighton game (69-70 season I think) and it was February time. Left Hove around 4pm in a blizzard and it didn't get much better. Slept in a shop doorway in Aston and froze. Caught bus to Walsall next morning but was postponed due to snow on pitch. Ended up with fans from all over the Midlands as well as those travelling to postponed games from other parts of the country at the Birmingham v Leicester game which was the only one to survive.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Millwall at home last season, looking back at the highlights some of the pitch had frosted over.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Sheffield United away in the FA cup 1987??.Finished 0-0.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Plymouth away on New Year's Day in early 90s, maybe '93 or '94, bloody freezing with f***ing arctic wind

Giraffe's Son

Dec 3, 2007
Brentford away in the 90's around boxing day or New Years Day, Wilkins scored the winner with a cross that went in.

Stoke away always seems cold too.

ds4000

Sep 4, 2010
Barnet away, one of the many Boxing Day matches with them. I think it was the day Paul Watson blazed a penalty about 10 feet over the bar! Freezing cold, absolutely horrible day.

This one, and Swindon away one new years day!

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
Barnet away, one of the many Boxing Day matches with them. I think it was the day Paul Watson blazed a penalty about 10 feet over the bar! Freezing cold, absolutely horrible day.

oh yes, i'll join you on this one, didn't we lose this game 1-0??

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Hartlepool away (2-2) in December 1993. On the opposite end to where we go now, that was uncovered and faced a building site where the main stand is now. The wind was chilling as it was blowing off the North Sea. At half time, most of us took shelter from the wind either behind the tea bar or inside the toilets. My 5 year old (at the time) has mental scars of Hartlepool ever since !

Another case of possible child cruelty was the FA Cup tie at Newcastle in 1986, when the snowy North was a great contrast to the south that day. We won 2-0 but it was the first time that I have ever left before the end as my two lads (8 & 6 yrs) were actually crying with the cold! We were better prepared for Peterborough away later in that cup run.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Rotherham away in 92/93 sticks in the mind the most.

Definitely had another cold one at Mansfield late in 1999 I think.

There must have been a few really cold home games given that I've seen about 600, but the away games always seem to be colder in my memory.

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
That was my WETTEST ever game.

My coldest, New Year's Day at Torquay 1996/97. The day that "Jump around, if you hate Archer" was invented, primarily to keep warm.

I was there and it was coooooold! But all had a laugh jumpin around. Did it end 1-1?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I always thought that, but Wikepedia (often total bollocks) says that West Brom is the highest professional ground...three metres above the ground I will be at this afternoon, namely The New Lawn.

You learn something every day. Even Port Vale is higher. Wikipedia figures:

The Hawthorns 168m
Vale Park 160m
Boundary Park 155m

Btw where is The New Lawn?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here