Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your coldest ever match

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It's the third highest professional football stadium above sea level (although I always thought it was second...)

The Hawthorns is the highest, followed by Vale Park then Boundary Park.

The coldest game I've ever been at was at Boundary Park - it was also the location of the hottest.

Anyone remember that heat wave across the whole country that weekend ?

Not quite, The Hawthorns is the highest, followed by The New Lawn, then Vale Park and Boundary Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest_English_football_stadia_by_altitude

It was very cold up there today, though at least it wasn't windy, the pitch was already pretty hard under foot when we put the frost covers on after the game.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Back in 1970, we had returned from the middle of a south africa summer in november,( I was about 12) we went home to see my late grandparents and my grandad reg suggested we all go and see huddersfield vs newcastle......it was 3 below , snowing with a gale blowing off the pennines into our faces. after 5 minutes i asked if we could go home and at half time we went home with my crying my eyes out I was so cold.

I remember getting into a bath to warm up......that and Oldham a few years ago( the one where Webb was punched by their centre back) f*** me i was cold that day

Peterhead vs East Stirling, 27 December 2004.

Whoever designed that ground - up on a hill, only two stands, both of which are perpendicular to the winds coming up off the North Sea - clearly had something against football fans.

Also, I went to an East Fife game (I think vs Stenny, but I'm not sure) a few years back - an evening match, in November if I remember rightly - during which the temperature dropped 5 degrees celsius. It was pretty bloody cold to start with!

And then there was Karakol vs Issyk-kul Bishkek, in the Kyrgyz First Division in 2000. Karakol is at an altitude of a mile, and although it wasn't winter it was still a pretty crisp spring day.

There's something right about football in the cold.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I remember being bloody freezing in about 92 away at Bolton in the cup. They were a division below us and won 2-1. The police kept us in the ground for 20 minutes at the end (where they got the idea there was a north-south rivalry going on i have no clue), and i shivered all the way through before having to board the coach and sit and think of defeat on the 5 hours home. A shit day out.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I remember being bloody freezing in about 92 away at Bolton in the cup. They were a division below us and won 2-1. The police kept us in the ground for 20 minutes at the end (where they got the idea there was a north-south rivalry going on i have no clue), and i shivered all the way through before having to board the coach and sit and think of defeat on the 5 hours home. A shit day out.

I went to that game coz I was at Uni at Derby. Bolton won with a pen after Meade (or the other one) netted the equaliser. We got them in the next round and beat them in a replay.

My coldest game was Saints v Derby, Jan 2001. Everyone was convinced the ref was gonna call it off and there were loads of icy patches on the pitch. Won 1 - 0 though.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Rochdale at Withdean, the year we won promotion from Division 3. I believe we lost 3-2, it was midweek and it was absolutely unbelievably bitterly cold.

A close 2nd would be when we were supposed to be playing at Mansfield but it got called off because of a frozen pitch. We went to Luton v Notts County instead and it was so so cold. Good day on the piss though!

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Another contender was Notts Forest away, midweek 2002/03 season. They were 3 up and we scored twice in the last 15 mins. So nearly equalised. Fantastic atmosphere that night but frikkin freezing!

Tomo1794

Apr 7, 2009
Leighton Buzzard
Luton few seasons back, lost 3-0 evening match. Depressed. Bimbo's doing the burgers messed it up. had to walk back through the town centre in thick snow and ice. Cold.

Wycombe away last season 5-2 Muarry Scored 4, was quite cold

But I prefer winter football

Went to both of these but don't remember them being that cold, although the Wycombe game was very icy outside the ground. None will compare with Doncaster away at their old stadium when we were in the Championship, never been that cold before in my life.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Barnet away, one of the many Boxing Day matches with them. I think it was the day Paul Watson blazed a penalty about 10 feet over the bar! Freezing cold, absolutely horrible day.

That is mine also and in fact a lady who sits behind us in the North Stand is always reminding Ben about it as he was very young and was nearly crying with the cold.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
That Millwall home game was probably the worst because it was f***ing freezing but also pissing it down. I can't remember ever being as thoroughly soaked at a game, whilst also being so cold!

having said that, we have had some ICY winds at Withdean!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Torquay away in about 2001 or 2002. I think it was a 0-0 draw and it was absolutely bloody freezing. I think it was when Neville Southall was in goal for them.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Ermmm Swindon a couple of years ago. The bloke next to me broke his glassers because it was so cold (don't ask me how)!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Another contender was Notts Forest away, midweek 2002/03 season. They were 3 up and we scored twice in the last 15 mins. So nearly equalised. Fantastic atmosphere that night but frikkin freezing!

Great game, don't remember it being that cold, though that may be 'cos we were having a great evening despite being battered!

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
That Millwall game a few years ago was the wettest i have ever been!

Last edited:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Barnet away, one of the many Boxing Day matches with them. I think it was the day Paul Watson blazed a penalty about 10 feet over the bar! Freezing cold, absolutely horrible day.

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here