Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why was wilkins sacked

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
so, that's fiction then you berk.

nothing as irritating on NSC as the eejets who put "fact" at the end of their statements. :dunce: (particularly, those who say we are relegated FACT. when actually, mathematically we're not yet relegated so f*** off and wait until we are)

It's a fact I might win the lottery this weekend.

It isn't fiction because the word 'might' is in the sentence. The poster was saying "it is a fact that he was fired because there was a chance he would get us promoted before we got falmer".

Whether it is true or not, I don't know. Maybe it isn't a fact. Simply havin 'might' in the sentence doesn't make it fiction.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agreed, sometimes it does.

But what had Adams done in the past few seasons to convince Knight that he was more suited to taking us forward than Wilkins?

It does appear there was a lack of transparency in Adams' reappointment. If the board had sacked Wilkins, held some interviews, and then reappointed Adams the decision would have had more credibility.

We do have history in this though, remember how Coppell was appointed?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Does it really concern the fans - no

The club have been calling all season for the fans to get behind the players in order to help performances on the field. So, obviously this decision DOES concern the fans because they need us to perform better.

They also need our money, in particular our season ticket money. It is a HELL of a commitment to earmark 23 Saturdays a year, so the fans need to be buying in to what the club is doing.

I supported Wilkins and it was obvious he was the man to guide us through the phase of bringing through the younger players, making sure we didn't get relegated and, who knows, maybe have a tilt at promotion. The priority for the board was NOT to get relegated.

I feel let down by the club and will not be renewing. I have additional family commitments and that has been a factor, but even if those commitments were less I still wouldn't bother renewing.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I NEVER wanted rid of Wilkins and was sceptical from the start.

Clearly a lot of people were happy to see Micky return by don't re-write history - there were plenty of us who were MIFFED about it. The warning signs were there when we struggled against Hereford and Orient early on - it was just the pro-Adams brigade were too stubborn to admit it.

The problem is that alot of our support has been polarised ever since McGhee was in charge, with one faction contsantly calling for the managers head, and another with their head up his arse, with each claiming to be the majority.

If you only started reading this board you would think that Wilkins was some kind of messiah, but last season he was geting stick from the crowd and attendances were dropping. I didn't see too many threads on here singing his praises. I clearly remember some people who didn't want McGhee to go had it in for Wilkins from the start.

The stupid thing about his sacking was that he looked like he was beginning to turn it around and I'm confident we would've been pushing for the play-offs had he stayed. On the other hand I don't think anyone thought Adams would f*** things up as bad as he has.

Why can't we all agree that the chairman/board have f***ed it up this season and just chalk it down to experience. Does there really need to be a constant witch hunt and vendetta in the name of Wilkins?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Why can't we all agree that the chairman/board have f***ed it up this season and just chalk it down to experience. Does there really need to be a constant witch hunt and vendetta in the name of Wilkins?

This is exactly my feeling on the issue.

Clearly the board did f*** up. I am sure they didn't mean to. Now they have to make it up to us by learning from their mistakes.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
This is exactly my feeling on the issue.

Clearly the board did f*** up. I am sure they didn't mean to. Now they have to make it up to us by learning from their mistakes.

I think that a simple apology by the board would go a long way to smooth things over. At the moment, no one at the club seems to give a hoot about the supporters and that concerns me because that's how the club started on the downward spiral in the 1980's when Lloyd was installed as manager.

Dick Knight came in 12 years ago on the premise that from then on everything would be as transparent as possible and yet here we are now scratching our heads and wondering what's going on.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The problem is that alot of our support has been polarised ever since McGhee was in charge, with one faction contsantly calling for the managers head, and another with their head up his arse, with each claiming to be the majority.

If you only started reading this board you would think that Wilkins was some kind of messiah, but last season he was geting stick from the crowd and attendances were dropping. I didn't see too many threads on here singing his praises. I clearly remember some people who didn't want McGhee to go had it in for Wilkins from the start.

The stupid thing about his sacking was that he looked like he was beginning to turn it around and I'm confident we would've been pushing for the play-offs had he stayed. On the other hand I don't think anyone thought Adams would f*** things up as bad as he has.

Agreed. There WERE a lot of complaints about Wilkins and the decision to sack him did not meet with universal condemnation - far from it. I think one of the problems is we haven't had 'closure'. Even now I get the feeling that the club won't admit their mistake and would still say something like "it was the right decison at the time" which of course just fans the flames. I think I'd feel (slightly) better about the situation if they admitted that it was pig-ignorant, bone-headed mistake and a decision that was made for all the wrong reasons. Can't see it happening though as even in recent interviews Knight seems to be attributing our above-mid-table finish last season to the loan signings as if they'd just appeared from nowhere.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It's a fact I might win the lottery this weekend.

It isn't fiction because the word 'might' is in the sentence. The poster was saying "it is a fact that he was fired because there was a chance he would get us promoted before we got falmer".

Whether it is true or not, I don't know. Maybe it isn't a fact. Simply havin 'might' in the sentence doesn't make it fiction.

granted, you got me :thumbsup: but it's not fact it's conjecture. everything to do with wilkins departure is purely conjecture at the moment.

my main irritation is with those people like uncle speilberk who say: accept it, we are relegated, FACT! i won't accept it until the fat lady is singing, nor should the players, nor should the fans.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The latest utterings from Dick are the sacking Wilkins 'was the right thing to do', and that things didn't work out with Micky in the way that was hoped. Well, no shit, Sherlock.

When talking to him, I got the feeling that he meant what he said about the Wilkins scenario, and that if he REALLY had to, he would justify it. But he is not going to, and any shit that comes his way on the back of this, he is just going to weather it. He is aware of the depth of feeling about this, but this is one issue he is keeping to himself - like it or lump it.

As someone has already said on here, there are almost certainly bigger cans of worms to open up if either party (the club or Wilkins) went public on this. I'm not sure we'll ever be told the reasons, no matter how much we want to know.

Regarding Micky, I got the feeling - watching his body language and facial expressions - that he feels a sense of both sadness and embarrassment for himself, for Micky and for the club as to how this season has gone, and that he is someone who doesn't want to dwell on it, but wants to move on and put it right as soon as possible.

This isn't what I know, he didn't say this. It's just a feeling from sitting next to him and from what he was and wasn't saying, if you see what I mean. But, of course, I could well be way wrong.

Incidentally, Brovion, I agree with your disagreement about Dick's opinion on last season compared to this. There is far more to it than merely those three midfield players he mentioned (Thomson, Westlake and Racon).

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The club have been calling all season for the fans to get behind the players in order to help performances on the field. So, obviously this decision DOES concern the fans because they need us to perform better.

They also need our money, in particular our season ticket money. It is a HELL of a commitment to earmark 23 Saturdays a year, so the fans need to be buying in to what the club is doing.

I supported Wilkins and it was obvious he was the man to guide us through the phase of bringing through the younger players, making sure we didn't get relegated and, who knows, maybe have a tilt at promotion. The priority for the board was NOT to get relegated.

I feel let down by the club and will not be renewing. I have additional family commitments and that has been a factor, but even if those commitments were less I still wouldn't bother renewing.

Very well put.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The latest utterings from Dick are the sacking Wilkins 'was the right thing to do', and that things didn't work out with Micky in the way that was hoped. Well, no shit, Sherlock.

When talking to him, I got the feeling that he meant what he said about the Wilkins scenario, and that if he REALLY had to, he would justify it. But he is not going to, and any shit that comes his way on the back of this, he is just going to weather it. He is aware of the depth of feeling about this, but this is one issue he is keeping to himself - like it or lump it.

As someone has already said on here, there are almost certainly bigger cans of worms to open up if either party (the club or Wilkins) went public on this. I'm not sure we'll ever be told the reasons, no matter how much we want to know.

Regarding Micky, I got the feeling - watching his body language and facial expressions - that he feels a sense of both sadness and embarrassment for himself, for Micky and for the club as to how this season has gone, and that he is someone who doesn't want to dwell on it, but wants to move on and put it right as soon as possible.

This isn't what I know, he didn't say this. It's just a feeling from sitting next to him and from what he was and wasn't saying, if you see what I mean. But, of course, I could well be way wrong.

Incidentally, Brovion, I agree with your disagreement about Dick's opinion on last season compared to this. There is far more to it than merely those three midfield players he mentioned (Thomson, Westlake and Racon).
Yeah, I've got to say I'm at the stage now where I no longer care about the reasons. Knight can either give us chapter and verse or he can remain schtum, whatever. It IS all irrelevant.

However I would like some acknowledgment from the club that they f***ed up. I don't want them to shrug their shoulders and just dismiss the events of this whole sorry season as 'just one of those things'. That is partly because I want SOMEONE to apologise for what we've all been through, but mainly because if they can't accept that the whole episode (Wilkins sacking, Adams appointment and subsequent sacking) was a shambolic cock-up from start to finish then there is a good chance they will repeat the mistakes.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I felt bad the way Wilkins was treated and would like to know why when he had got us into a position close to the playoffs,but the details should be obtained from a neutral individual.
What is Dean doing now,anything in the football world?

D

Deleted member 2719

Wise words.

I initially thought Knight had made a master stroke when giving Wilkins the job,but in hindsight just maybe he was using him until it suited him and the board,i f***ing hate users and for that reason Mr Knight you are not the man you portray to be and a growing number of fans can see that now.

Trust in their chairman is a big thing with fans and he has blown it as far as i am concerned, it's time for change.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
I felt bad the way Wilkins was treated and would like to know why when he had got us into a position close to the playoffs,but the details should be obtained from a neutral individual.
What is Dean doing now,anything in the football world?

Scouting for Fulham - well if people beleive me that is!

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Well *durr* - no. Everybody would be saying what a great move it was and people like me would be saying "well I thought it was totally the wrong move for a number of reasons, but fair play to DK and the board they knew what they were doing."

Sorry, there WERE quite a few of us who thought it was the wrong thing at the time.. Some of us wanted Wilkins to be given more time and others, whilst pleased to see the back of Wilkins, didn't want an unemployed has-been. And even though the starter of this thread cound't apparently find any other threads on this subject there WERE quite a few where these views were expressed!

PS - different subject. The other week I had a steam driving day down on the K&ESR. Absolutely brilliant (Howard was the instructor). Told my family to start saving as I want the full day next time! Looking forward to driving up Tenterden bank!

Sorry, I suppose I should have known I'd get shot down in flames if I generalised! There were a hell of a lot of people that though MA was gonna take the club to another level as well as those of you that had doubts, that better!!! Hindsight tells all of us tha maybe we should have stuck with Wilkins, but having said that there's no guarantee he would have repeated or bettered last years 7th place. Lets hope we get off to a good start next year whoever is in charge and put this seasons diasaster behind us.

Glad you enjoyed the steam driving experience, if I'd known you were there I would have popped down and said hello. Let me know nif you're coming again.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Funny that no-one thought DK was doing the wrong thing at the time. Everyone expected even better things with MA, fans and chairman alike. DK was obviously doing what he thought was the right thing for the club at the time. Appointing a new manager is always a gamble, this time it didn't pay off, simple as. We can't change the past, can't we move on to the future and get behind the team?

Not strictly true. A couple of weeks after Wilkins left I put a poll on here asking "Did DK make right decision?". It will be in the search archives somewhere. Result was 50% YES, 30% NO, 20% undecided/wait and see.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003

I seem to recall that people didn't actually rate Westlake that highly when he was here(check the old player ratings threads) and that Thomson was indifferent from the start, Racon however there was general praise for(bar the PV game).

Another thing going against that DK assessment is that on 1st Jan 2008, before any of those three had even kicked a ball for us, we were already on 33points, so only 3 short of our current total from a significantly less amount of games..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here