Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why was wilkins sacked

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Agree that Adams has been a disaster and if you read my post you'll see that I don't excuse the managerial or boardroom ineptitude but PART of the reason why we had so many loanees was the crippling injury crisis, hell even our loanees got injured and even the players we loaned OUT got injured!!! Of course I'd rather have dull football than going down but, and be honest now, if we'd have been mid-table at Christmas under Wilkins playing dull football would you have called for his head? I suspect so and knowing NSC, it would have been going crazy.

Knight (and let's face it the unanimous Board) made a mistake, pure and simple. Nothing to do with ego. He did what he thought was best, it backfired (terribly). I think he's earned the right to make a few mistakes. No one, absolutely no one could have foreseen how this season would pan out. With hindsight he would probably do it very differently but I still think he would sack Wilkins or ideally move him sideways back to the coaching role he was most suited to.

Damn Wilkins and that "dull" winning formula he had. SEVENTH? f***ing RUBBISH.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Constructive, thanks for that.

Fine, no problem...

"last season was one of the dullest on record"
- Erm, we missed out on the play off's in the final couple of weeks.

"7th flattered us." That's where we finished over the course of a 46 game season

"Wilkins had lost the dressing room" - Hmm, Paul Reid, Gary Hart and Shane McFaul? Who gives a shit?

"he was clearly under immense personal strain towards the end of the season" I would imagine the Chairman deciding to get rid of him in January
but deciding not to do anything about it had something to do with that.

"...and the division was of a poorer overall standard." - It's hardly the Champions league now is it?

"We were skirting with relegation at one point and just at the right time we bought well and hit form." Who is that down to then?

This doesn't excuse the disaster that has been this season of course but I firmly believe if Wilkins had still been at the helm we'd have been exactly in the same situation. Yeah right. Wilkins was clearly CLUELESS and Adams came in and his judgement on players and tactics really made a difference. He resigned Mayo and Hart FFS"

Whilst not defending any of the managerial, boardroom and playing ineptitude we have seen this season I have never known an injury crisis like the one we've had this season. It's not been THAT bad. We had the money to sign players and did. The judgement has been all wrong. We've largely signed shit that can't get into shit teams in our division.

We would NEVER have gone down with a fit Murray and Forster Yeah right, 'cos the service to those two has been first rate when they have played.

or even if we'd been able to play the same team for a few games in a row. f*** off! That was Mickey's worst mistake, all the chopping and changing.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why do people have such blinkered views of the Wilkins reign. He got us to 7th but it was obvious towards the end that he was never going to take us any further as manager. DK made the right decision to get rid of DW and only made the wrong decision to bring back MA because he didn't have the benefit of hindsight.

I think he tried to do the right thing but it just didn't work out

My reply to the "hindsight is a wonderful thing is.." is usually

"... foresight's even better"

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Why was Wilkins sacked... we will never know.

From my own experience of paying off senior staff (all be it in the charity sector) a comprimise agreement will contain a clause whereby the manager is paid off, subject to going quickly and not attempting any retribution through the courts. In turn, the employer will agree to not disclose the reason that the manager was sacked and will agree with the ex-managers' solicitors a form of words (i.e. mutual consent), to describle the termination of contract.

I would assume, that there is such a contract between the club and Wilkins. Meaning that, should Knight (or any other board member) tell the fans why Wilkins was sacked, Wilkins would be able to take the club to court for a fairly substantial sum of money.

Therefore we will never know (should my assumption regarding a compromise agreement be correct).

The reason such agreements are commonplace is because it allows the inclumbent manager to go quickly wothout any lengthy disciplinary procedures (good for the club, as it allows them to move on quickly), in turn the managers reputation, and hence ability to find other work, is also left undamaged.

Why was Wilkins sacked... we will never know.

From my own experience of paying off senior staff (all be it in the charity sector) a comprimise agreement will contain a clause whereby the manager is paid off, subject to going quickly and not attempting any retribution through the courts. In turn, the employer will agree to not disclose the reason that the manager was sacked and will agree with the ex-managers' solicitors a form of words (i.e. mutual consent), to describle the termination of contract.

I would assume, that there is such a contract between the club and Wilkins. Meaning that, should Knight (or any other board member) tell the fans why Wilkins was sacked, Wilkins would be able to take the club to court for a fairly substantial sum of money.

Therefore we will never know (should my assumption regarding a compromise agreement be correct).

The reason such agreements are commonplace is because it allows the inclumbent manager to go quickly wothout any lengthy disciplinary procedures (good for the club, as it allows them to move on quickly), in turn the managers reputation, and hence ability to find other work, is also left undamaged.

Stop being sensible :angry:

It's FAR more likely to be a vindictive decision by our vicious despot of a Chairman

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Funny that no-one thought DK was doing the wrong thing at the time. Everyone expected even better things with MA, fans and chairman alike. DK was obviously doing what he thought was the right thing for the club at the time. Appointing a new manager is always a gamble, this time it didn't pay off, simple as. We can't change the past, can't we move on to the future and get behind the team?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Funny that no-one thought DK was doing the wrong thing at the time. Everyone expected even better things with MA, fans and chairman alike. DK was obviously doing what he thought was the right thing for the club at the time. Appointing a new manager is always a gamble, this time it didn't pay off, simple as. We can't change the past, can't we move on to the future and get behind the team?

I NEVER wanted rid of Wilkins and was sceptical from the start.

Clearly a lot of people were happy to see Micky return by don't re-write history - there were plenty of us who were MIFFED about it. The warning signs were there when we struggled against Hereford and Orient early on - it was just the pro-Adams brigade were too stubborn to admit it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I certainly didn`t think getting Adams was a great coup, I thought it an unnecessary risk.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If Adams had been as successful as he was first time round I wonder if we would still be having this debate?
Well *durr* - no. Everybody would be saying what a great move it was and people like me would be saying "well I thought it was totally the wrong move for a number of reasons, but fair play to DK and the board they knew what they were doing."

Sorry, there WERE quite a few of us who thought it was the wrong thing at the time.. Some of us wanted Wilkins to be given more time and others, whilst pleased to see the back of Wilkins, didn't want an unemployed has-been. And even though the starter of this thread cound't apparently find any other threads on this subject there WERE quite a few where these views were expressed!

PS - different subject. The other week I had a steam driving day down on the K&ESR. Absolutely brilliant (Howard was the instructor). Told my family to start saving as I want the full day next time! Looking forward to driving up Tenterden bank!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

There were an awful lot of us who weren't happy at the time that Adams was reappointed.

Never go back were the words I used at the time.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
He might have got us promoted before Falmer was ready. Fact.

so, that's fiction then you berk.

nothing as irritating on NSC as the eejets who put "fact" at the end of their statements. :dunce: (particularly, those who say we are relegated FACT. when actually, mathematically we're not yet relegated so f*** off and wait until we are)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Sometimes it works (Dario Gradi, Steve Foster, John Byrne) sometimes it doesn't (Micky Adams, Adam Virgo, Howard Kendall).

Agreed, sometimes it does.

But what had Adams done in the past few seasons to convince Knight that he was more suited to taking us forward than Wilkins?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

I think you'll find there were quite a few (myself definitely included) who were very unhappy with what the club did last summer.

Yes, appointing a new manager is always a gamble, but why did we gamble, when everything was rolling along so very nicely? THAT is what was, and still is, a complete mystery, and why this relegation is so hard to take.

I think you'll find there were quite a few (myself definitely included) who were very unhappy with what the club did last summer.

Yes, appointing a new manager is always a gamble, but why did we gamble, when everything was rolling along so very nicely? THAT is what was, and still is, a complete mystery, and why this relegation is so hard to take.

Presumably because, behind the scenes, everything was NOT "rolling along so very nicely".

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Presumably because, behind the scenes, everything was NOT "rolling along so very nicely".

As we hear so often when a man is sacked "it's a results business". Whatever was going wrong behind the scenes wasn't having an adverse effect on the pitch, so it should have been sorted in a way that wouldn't adversely affect what happened on the pitch.

Unfortunately, it wasn't. It wasn't in quite a spectacular fashion.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
trouble was the job was given to adams with no consideration for any other potential candidates based solely on what he did here 7 years previously - dick knights old pals act has backfired spectacularly, and made him look like an absdolute mug

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here