Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why was wilkins sacked

I have always thought it was because the crowds were falling away. Whilst we ground out results the performances were not great. Knight brought in the 'saviour' Adams to put an extra 1000 bums on seats. This of course worked for a very short while, until results turned south.

If the club would have put more funds into the club during Wilkins tenure, then they wouldn't have had to sack him. By bringing in Adams it entailed the Board not having to find further funds at that time

D

Deleted User X18H

Because certain senior players confided in the Chairman that he (Wilkins) had appalling and completely unprofessional man management skills and because at the time (like now in fact) MA was kicking heels and was seen by DK as the golden goose............sadly now overcooked!!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
anyone know the real reason why?

Does it really concern the fans - no, both parties decided not to make it public so you should respect their wishes
will it make any difference to you if you found out why? - not really, knowing the reason will not change anything that has happened their will it.

It's about time people moved on and stop going on about this

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Because certain senior players confided in the Chairman that he (Wilkins) had appalling and completely unprofessional man management skills and because at the time (like now in fact) MA was kicking heels and was seen by DK as the golden goose............sadly now overcooked!!
Hart, Mayo & Chairman's friend(Reid) or Forster & Butters?
I'd know whose opinion i'd go by.

Dandyman

In London village.

I'd love to know who those "senior players" were. Wilkins took us to 7th place before getting shafted - not much evidence of poor management IMO.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Why do people have such blinkered views of the Wilkins reign. He got us to 7th but it was obvious towards the end that he was never going to take us any further as manager. DK made the right decision to get rid of DW and only made the wrong decision to bring back MA because he didn't have the benefit of hindsight.

I think he tried to do the right thing but it just didn't work out

judewri

Oct 7, 2003
west sussex
never going to take us any further??????????????????? sorry couldn't disagree with you more.... wilkins was just the man to take us on......................

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
never going to take us any further??????????????????? sorry couldn't disagree with you more.... wilkins was just the man to take us on......................

No, sorry. We'll never know of course what would have happened if he hadn't gone but last season was one of the dullest on record. 7th flattered us, Wilkins had lost the dressing room and the Chairman, he was clearly under immense personal strain towards the end of the season and the division was of a poorer overall standard. We were skirting with relegation at one point and just at the right time we bought well and hit form.

This doesn't excuse the disaster that has been this season of course but I firmly believe if Wilkins had still been at the helm we'd have been exactly in the same situation. Whilst not defending any of the managerial, boardroom and playing ineptitude we have seen this season I have never known an injury crisis like the one we've had this season. We would NEVER have gone down with a fit Murray and Forster or even if we'd been able to play the same team for a few games in a row.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
No, sorry. We'll never know of course what would have happened if he hadn't gone but last season was one of the dullest on record. 7th flattered us, Wilkins had lost the dressing room and the Chairman, he was clearly under immense personal strain towards the end of the season and the division was of a poorer overall standard. We were skirting with relegation at one point and just at the right time we bought well and hit form.

This doesn't excuse the disaster that has been this season of course but I firmly believe if Wilkins had still been at the helm we'd have been exactly in the same situation. Whilst not defending any of the managerial, boardroom and playing ineptitude we have seen this season I have never known an injury crisis like the one we've had this season. We would NEVER have gone down with a fit Murray and Forster or even if we'd been able to play the same team for a few games in a row.

What complete bollocks. We are going down because Micky Adams was a complete and utter f***ing disaster and bought in loanee after loanee and disrupted half the team that had done so well last season.

Wilkins, who wasnt even give a quarter of the resources Adams was would have had us midtable minimum and to be honest Id rather have dull football than play in that AWFUL division we are headed toward. Lost the dressing room or lost the dead wood that had been hanging around for far too long but Knight kept season after season?

Dick Knight has f***ed us all over for his ego good and proper.

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

What a load of utter shite. Have you been on the crack all weekend?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
What complete bollocks. We are going down because Micky Adams was a complete and utter f***ing disaster and bought in loanee after loanee and disrupted half the team that had done so well last season.

Wilkins, who wasnt even give a quarter of the resources Adams was would have had us midtable minimum and to be honest Id rather have dull football than play in that AWFUL division we are headed toward.

Dick Knight has f***ed us all over for his ego good and proper.

Agree that Adams has been a disaster and if you read my post you'll see that I don't excuse the managerial or boardroom ineptitude but PART of the reason why we had so many loanees was the crippling injury crisis, hell even our loanees got injured and even the players we loaned OUT got injured!!! Of course I'd rather have dull football than going down but, and be honest now, if we'd have been mid-table at Christmas under Wilkins playing dull football would you have called for his head? I suspect so and knowing NSC, it would have been going crazy.

Knight (and let's face it the unanimous Board) made a mistake, pure and simple. Nothing to do with ego. He did what he thought was best, it backfired (terribly). I think he's earned the right to make a few mistakes. No one, absolutely no one could have foreseen how this season would pan out. With hindsight he would probably do it very differently but I still think he would sack Wilkins or ideally move him sideways back to the coaching role he was most suited to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here