Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where's your local?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Downs hotel in woodingdean

The place is an absolute shithole of a pub. Shit flat beer, and the cheapest lager is £3.20. Carvery used to be ok but haven't eaten in there for years now. I don't trust it.

None of the furniture matches, the carpet must be 20 years old, if you stand still for too long you'll stick there forever.

It's got that crap al-jazeera foreign satellite thing so we have regular football, if the clueless bar staff can find the right channel, but seldom with English commentary. It means no championship or lower league games and European games are hit and miss. Also means no darts or cricket to watch over the summer.

The pool table rolls badly and the decent cues have been replaced by those shit cheap nasty ones, there also isn't a proper light for the table, there is a spotlight that used to be for the dart board.

A lot of the decent people don't drink there anymore, during the week it's very quiet and on Friday night's it's full of young coked up dickheads who want to fight the world, and did on Xmas eve when they all chipped in and paid a lad £100 to hit the bar manager after he barred one of them for openly doing a line in the toilets.

There used to be 4 traps in the gents, one got smashed off years ago and another one a few months back which still haven't, and won't be replaced.

I advise everyone to never walk in there.

I only drink in there very occasionally now if I really need a pint because it's the only pub in woodingdean after the Toby shut down, which was a shithole all the same.

Saying that I spend a lot of time in the black horse and coachhouse in rottingdean now, both great pubs, my favourites in town are The Sussex, The Market Inn, Pumphouse and The Druids.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm pretty much equidistant between The Lord Nelson and the Cobblers Thumb but we tend to go to the Prince Albert which is just under £4 a pint, happy hour is £2 a pint of Carlsberg.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
The Mitchells Arms in Horsham and for those that know it. YES IT IS STILL THE MITCHELL, The Malt Shovel wont wash with me.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Mine's should be the Park View. Its just across the road. But the service is so shit I never go in there. The Brewery Tap blares crappy old Elvis songs at stupid volumes, so that only leaves the Crown & Anchor. Pretty dead, but they do a nice Sunday roast.

Park view for me too, but agree the service is dire. Crown and Anchor never looks appealing so prefer the Dyke Tavern until they started marketing for kids (young un's, not teenagers).

Would love to be near a decent pub, not too busy, but with cheap beer and hot barmaids.

Oct 25, 2003
the constant service and the charles napier are pretty much equidistant from my front door......generally prefer the constant, but in reality I have about 10 pubs within easy walking distance so I'm spoilt for choice really

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Mine's should be the Park View. Its just across the road. But the service is so shit I never go in there. The Brewery Tap blares crappy old Elvis songs at stupid volumes, so that only leaves the Crown & Anchor. Pretty dead, but they do a nice Sunday roast.

So true! Been there twice in the last week and it is packed with the sun being out and one person serving! Crazy.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
My local is "The Fridge Inn...the kitchen", just off the dining room and opposite "The Old Oven".

Does a good range of drinks at competitive prices. This week I've found a nice couple of bottles of Chablis. I sometimes visit "The Cupboard". Can get some Abbott Ale and Old Speckled Hen in here!:cheers:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
When down in Sussex I'm at my Dad's which is next to the Cricketers - pop over there for the footy or a lunchtime pint sometimes but the beer's better in The Ship for an evening jar or two. Back home I'm in a small village blessed with three pubs so spoilt for choice - and the beer tends to be cheaper too!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm in a rather good position on the pub front- £2 a pint of Carling/Grolsch in the student bar which is about 150 yards away if I fancy getting trolleyed or £3.20 for a pint of San Miguel in my cosy little local, 25 yards from my door which has a garden area with an outside tv, 4 tv's showing everything from football to darts, the obligatory pub cat and is completely devoid of students, (except myself) if I fancy a quiet few. Beautiful times.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I live in Rottingdean opposite the Queen Vic in the High Street and I'd say it's my local (Made the picture wall) pool table with decent lighting, two dart boards with one of those electric machines if you cant subtract and the classic pub board game selection.

Freeview on two flatscreens so only get the terrestrial football, Great large covered heated smoking area and they sell Harveys which is nice if I feel a pint everynow and then.

Good atmosphere with the locals can be abit lively on a Fri/Sat night with it's own Police car marked space outside but generally it's great and I've had some amazing nights in there.

Food is good, Cooked by the Jamacain chef who is a great laugh and cooks some brilliant food.

Given I live right in the high street though I've got 6 pubs within 250 odd yards, Don't go in the White Horse, Don't really get on with the manager try and avoid it where possible but can be handy for the football though with Sky been in there about twice in 2 years and thats due to my brother!

Coach house is 1 of the 2 pubs in the village I've worked in, has Sky and a big flat screen upstairs, Has always been a decent 'Ye Olde England' type pub. Dot and Bill are lovely.

Black Horse is another I used to go in all the time and rarely have sinces it's became part of Greene King, has a dart board, A great little snug, a covered heated (SMALL) smoking area and does to it's credit have some excellent band nights.

The Plough has always been a local pub for local people and fairly expensive does a top sunday roast though if you can book a table, Used to love the poker nights they did before the owners changed hands and it was stopped.

Rottingdean Club, Not been in there in years, Much like the Plough in the local for locals type place, Used to go in with my nan years gone back with a subscribtions for entry it tends to stop the 'ruffians'

Rottingdean = Pub heaven.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The Beacon in Sedgley, near Dudley. Only moved in a few months ago and have only been once. It is a proper old style, almost Victorian, Public House.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Crabtree lancing drunk in there for 40 years , but evening star before games now, that is a good crack, but remember Crabtree and Clifton used to share coaches to away games that was fun and more. Oh to bring those days back

The Ram at Firle is nowhere near as good a pub as it used to be - so we tend to use the Cricketers at Berwick Village these days - at least when drinking locally. The Rose Cottage at Alciston calls on Friday, though. The refurbished Trevor Arms at Glynde is just plain odd - although I was in there yesterday.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I live in Rottingdean opposite the Queen Vic in the High Street and I'd say it's my local (Made the picture wall) pool table with decent lighting, two dart boards with one of those electric machines if you cant subtract and the classic pub board game selection.

Freeview on two flatscreens so only get the terrestrial football, Great large covered heated smoking area and they sell Harveys which is nice if I feel a pint everynow and then.

Good atmosphere with the locals can be abit lively on a Fri/Sat night with it's own Police car marked space outside but generally it's great and I've had some amazing nights in there.

Food is good, Cooked by the Jamacain chef who is a great laugh and cooks some brilliant food.

Been in there a few times after a walk along the coast and would agree with that. It's well worth popping in there if you're in the area.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Wilmy when I'm back in Brighton-too expensive!!

Grew up on Wilmington Way, lived there for 22 years and was a regular in the Long Man for many years, not been in there since Ron left, not because of that, but because I live to far away and grew up :(

Edit. That's a lie I was in there after the Donny game back in August, an old school reunion :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Victoria, Boundary Road, Portslade is my nearest pub. Never any trouble, furnished to a high standard, sophisticated patrons, Michelin star rated food. Smashing pub.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
My 'local' would be The Nevill in Nevill Road if I ever lost my mind and set foot in there.
The pub that actually go in, is the Hove Park Tavern - but a stones throw from The Goldstone Ground ( RIP )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here