Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Moises going? (Chelsea - 14/08/2023)

Where is Moises going?

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
which is kind of standing in his way
Not really. By that logic we should just sell all of our players for whatever offer comes in.

We have always been very strong on saying if the offer works for club and player, we will let them go. We've shown that time and again, no?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not really. By that logic we should just sell all of our players for whatever offer comes in.

We have always been very strong on saying if the offer works for club and player, we will let them go. We've shown that time and again, no?
You buy a car, you pay the price asked in the showroom....until then it remains their possession.

He didn't have to sign the new contract, and he's been very happy I'm sure taking the hefty pay increase. Club are quite entitled to expect their asking price if they are going to sell one of their best players, that they don't want or need to sell, and who is under a long contract.

Yeah. I have no problem with any of that. But what does the phrase 'We won't stand in his way' really mean then? Every single player in the entire world has a transfer fee that their club will accept, so basically no club has ever stood in the way of any player moving ever.

If 'We don't stand in the way of a player wanting to move' is actually to mean anything, it means accepting a transfer fee lower than the maximum we think he's worth. Otherwise its just silly platitudes.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Yeah. I have no problem with any of that. But what does the phrase 'We won't stand in his way' really mean then? Every single player in the entire world has a transfer fee that their club will accept, so basically no club has ever stood in the way of any player moving ever.

If 'We don't stand in the way of a player wanting to move' is actually to mean anything, it means accepting a transfer fee lower than the maximum we think he's worth. Otherwise its just silly platitudes.
It's not said in isolation though, more like "We won't stand in the way of a player moving on if the club's valuation is met". Every player has a price, so therefore, if said price is met, any player is available for transfer, unless your name is Levi Colwill it seems !!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Kane at Spurs?

Went on strike (temporarily) and the club still didn’t budge.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Chelsea may well point fingers, they may well baulk at the asking price and walk away, but they only have themselves to blame; a club who have been central to the transfer market’s startling inflation in recent years cannot expect any favours.

The Saudi Pro League may be waving millions at clubs and in players’ faces, but the bigger Premier League sides were arguably the instigators of this trend, with Chelsea themselves spending £323m in January – more than the top Italian, German, French and Spanish leagues combined.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

The way I see it is that we will not stand in a player's way if an offer comes in that gives the chance for a player to play at a higher level (this is essentially what RDZ said at the end of last season). If a CL team came in for Caicedo and they offered us a decent fee he would go. That fee would almost certainly NOT be £100m. The problem with the Chelsea bid is that we are playing at a higher level than they are this season, hence the fee must be really high if we are to accept it as we do not want to sell him.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Chelsea may well point fingers, they may well baulk at the asking price and walk away, but they only have themselves to blame; a club who have been central to the transfer market’s startling inflation in recent years cannot expect any favours.

The Saudi Pro League may be waving millions at clubs and in players’ faces, but the bigger Premier League sides were arguably the instigators of this trend, with Chelsea themselves spending £323m in January – more than the top Italian, German, French and Spanish leagues combined.

Good article and summarises Brighton's position well.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
The way I see it is that we will not stand in a player's way if an offer comes in that gives the chance for a player to play at a higher level (this is essentially what RDZ said at the end of last season). If a CL team came in for Caicedo and they offered us a decent fee he would go. That fee would almost certainly NOT be £100m. The problem with the Chelsea bid is that we are playing at a higher level than they are this season, hence the fee must be really high if we are to accept it as we do not want to sell him.
So if manure offer us £80m tomorrow we’d accept?

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Here's a really smart post from 'osboy' on the shed end -

"Not really about Caicedo but the price of talent isn’t linear. What I mean is that you can pay a big premium maybe 30-40-50% for a player that is only 5-10%. “better” you want to win you have to have the best players or at least the best team. And even if you win by only 1 point in 85 over the season it’s worth a lot more in every way than coming second."

He's absolutely right - Chelsea have high expectations but to achieve this they must strive for the very best players in all positions - second best won't make it happen. Last seasons 'scattergun' approach proved this. Problem is, it can be ridiculously expensive
I'll be glad when Chelsea and their plastic circus fans have f*cked off. Entitled, arrogant, clueless as to anything before Abamovich.

For the record i voted he stays on day 1 and nothing i have seen since has changed my mind. Chelsea will not pay 100mil.

Had Chelsea not been so apparently dismissive and even brusque over Brighton’s desire to include Levi in the transfer package I think a total package to the value of perhaps £70 million could possibly have been agreed with a cash balance of about 50%.

Brighton was prepared to release Caicedo as promised and when Chelsea started negotiating an amiable arrangement suitable to all parties seemed relatively feasible. The abruptness must have changed the atmosphere and hardened Brighton's stance. From then on Brighton would not loose both players from their squad without maxing out on the fee.

Brighton didn't want to sell under these circumstances - but - as they say everything has a price. In this case a Rice comparable £100 million - a perhaps £65 million cash flow difference for Chelsea?

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Strange bunch these Chelsea fans. If they get Caicedo at £100m (he will now be a Chelsea player), so worth every penny. But if he stays at Brighton (top bid only £80m) he will be classed as over-rated. Hmmm

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Saw this today and first thoughts were - what a fecking self untitled twat and does she go into Tesco's and offer 80p for a £1 loaf, then insists they free her bread? The article even claims Caicedo wants to leave - fact!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Strange bunch these Chelsea fans. If they get Caicedo at £100m (he will now be a Chelsea player), so worth every penny. But if he stays at Brighton (top bid only £80m) he will be classed as over-rated. Hmmm
Chelsea are so light in midfield. Moises is poch’s no1 target and the owner will need to back his new manager. Buckle up for a eye watering bid soon.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I tell you what, there’s a massive amount of imposter syndrome in this thread. Standing in his way? We’re a top half PL team playing in Europe FFS; Chelsea, for this coming season, are not. What are we standing in the way of?

I’m glad that Bloom and Barber are in control. If some posters had their way we’d have sold Dunk to Fulham in 2015, Knocky and Stephens to Newcastle and Burnley and 2016, White to Leeds in 2020 and Cucurella to City for half what we got from Chelsea last year.

To all those happy to accept 20m less than our valuation so as to not stand in his way of playing for a mid-table non-Euro-qualifying club, I ask: would you be happy if Barber put an extra 1K on the price of every single season ticket this year to cover the cost? No? Thought not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here