Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Moises going? (Chelsea - 14/08/2023)

Where is Moises going?

• Total voters

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Here's a really smart post from 'osboy' on the shed end -

"Not really about Caicedo but the price of talent isn’t linear. What I mean is that you can pay a big premium maybe 30-40-50% for a player that is only 5-10%. “better” you want to win you have to have the best players or at least the best team. And even if you win by only 1 point in 85 over the season it’s worth a lot more in every way than coming second."

He's absolutely right - Chelsea have high expectations but to achieve this they must strive for the very best players in all positions - second best won't make it happen. Last seasons 'scattergun' approach proved this. Problem is, it can be ridiculously expensive

Had Chelsea not been so apparently dismissive and even brusque over Brighton’s desire to include Levi in the transfer package I think a total package to the value of perhaps £70 million could possibly have been agreed with a cash balance of about 50%.

Brighton was prepared to release Caicedo as promised and when Chelsea started negotiating an amiable arrangement suitable to all parties seemed relatively feasible. The abruptness must have changed the atmosphere and hardened Brighton's stance. From then on Brighton would not loose both players from their squad without maxing out on the fee.

Brighton didn't want to sell under these circumstances - but - as they say everything has a price. In this case a Rice comparable £100 million - a perhaps £65 million cash flow difference for Chelsea?
Plus they could have bought him 2 years ago for £4.5m. BUT they didn't.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I find it difficult to understand how its ok for a player to piss off mid contract and yes that's ok and somehow we are the villains because despite saying he can leave at the right price even some Brighton fans think we are being mean. Yet if he was shit and we wanted to get rid we would have to pay his contract up quite rightly of course. Talk about having your cake and eat it. I would have told Chelsea and anyone else if you want him you have until i would suggest 2 weeks before the season begins after that after this date he is NOT for sale unless of course they make us a silly offer. I think they will purchase for the price we ask fwiw. The very simple reason is we don't actually want to sell him.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Moisés Caicedo and his agents are set to ask Brighton to lower his £100m price tag. They are keen on forcing a move to Chelsea

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So if manure offer us £80m tomorrow we’d accept?
The way I see it is that we will not stand in a player's way if an offer comes in that gives the chance for a player to play at a higher level (this is essentially what RDZ said at the end of last season). If a CL team came in for Caicedo and they offered us a decent fee he would go. That fee would almost certainly NOT be £100m. The problem with the Chelsea bid is that we are playing at a higher level than they are this season, hence the fee must be really high if we are to accept it as we do not want to sell him.
The price is £100 million. End of. Doesn’t matter if it’s Real Madrid.

Cucerella went once the package exceeded £60 million as several posters on that thread were correctly stating. We didn’t let City lowball us and look what they did last season.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Moisés Caicedo and his agents are set to ask Brighton to lower his £100m price tag. They are keen on forcing a move to Chelsea
Do you think your team will fare better this season under Pochettino than you did with Potter..?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The same pair that signed his new contract?

I’m thinking of heading to the whisky shop in East St and asking them to lower the price of their Fettercairn 50 year old. £18750 seems wholly unreasonable when most whisky is 20-40 quid. I’m sure they’ll split the difference. :moo:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I tell you what, there’s a massive amount of imposter syndrome in this thread. Standing in his way? We’re a top half PL team playing in Europe FFS; Chelsea, for this coming season, are not. What are we standing in the way of?

I’m glad that Bloom and Barber are in control. If some posters had their way we’d have sold Dunk to Fulham in 2015, Knocky and Stephens to Newcastle and Burnley and 2016, White to Leeds in 2020 and Cucurella to City for half what we got from Chelsea last year.

To all those happy to accept 20m less than our valuation so as to not stand in his way of playing for a mid-table non-Euro-qualifying club, I ask: would you be happy if Barber put an extra 1K on the price of every single season ticket this year to cover the cost? No? Thought not.
I understand and agree, broadly speaking, but Chelsea won't always be a basket case.

Can totally understand a young player thinking they're the better bet long term, despite the fact they're a bang average mid table Premier League team and we're going on a European tour.

I'd love us to become a mainstay in the top 10, challenging for Europe every season. But we might not be. And Chelsea almost certainly will be.

Though wouldn't it be marvelous if they were the first of the traditional Big Six to lose their way and we take their spot. That'd be nice.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This group probably celebrated when the new contract with BHA was singed and all put their hands in the pot, I'm sure they'll celebrate honouring it with just the same vigour.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The price is £100 million. End of. Doesn’t matter if it’s Real Madrid.

Cucerella went once the package exceeded £60 million as several posters on that thread were correctly stating. We didn’t let City lowball us and look what they did last season.

Thank god TB’s in charge.

Last summer a couple of nsc posters thought it cruel that we were preventing Cuckoo from joining his ‘childhood hero’ Pep for £40m and making the Qatar WC. In January someone else bleated repeatedly we were immoral in not letting Caicedo join Arse for £70m because “a football career is very short, a later injury with us and we’d have ruined MC’s dream of playing in the CL”.

Very charitable and a load of baloney. The Albion come first for us. The club NEVER prevent a player moving on, once the correct fee is agreed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here