Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What transfer business do you think needs to be done in January?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Sima has hit his "2 club maximum" with Slavia Prague and Stoke.

Any recall wouldn't be so we can play him.

Thank you BV. Didn’t realise he played for SP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Thanks.

My point is that teams don’t need strikers in this day and age. It’s the hardest position to play, and a decent one is as rare as hens teeth, and costs megabucks. So innovative coaches worked out ways of playing football without relying on one striker, who could get injured at any time. We’re 10th I. The Premier League in January playing like this, let’s not forget.

Say we sign a £50 million striker who bangs in 20 goals for us. What happens then, do you think? He’d be gone within 2 seasons and we’d be back where we started again. Yes we’d get massive money for him, but we’d still have the same problem again. And why would a £50 million striker come to us?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure everyone at the club would love an out and out 20 goal a season striker (which, by the way, basically means a Kane or Salah so £100 million +) but they have to also find a way to cope without one, as it’s only ever going to be a temporary fix.

The club can say we don’t need a new striker as much as they want, but obviously they would actually love one - you don’t go around advertising that you’re desperate to buy one or the price goes up £20 million. They were clearly trying in the Summer, but feel we have enough elsewhere in the squad to not risk mega money on one, unless they tick every single box for us. Which makes perfect sense to me.

Good post. For the third time today. I have to say I NEVER said we should spend £50 million on a striker.

Tross is NOT a striker, so now we have 3…

Maupay - good, but like any striker can lose form. See last season.
Welbs - our best striker, but likely to be injured far too often.
DJ - NOWHERE near good enough, even as cover.

So, we are very exposed to having one good enough fit striker (Maupay) who may lose form. Therefore, we need another striker. Even if that is a recall loanee.

Tross playing in a false 9 is a red herring that worked once because Liverpool incessantly attack. It will NOT work in almost every game.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Keep your money in your pocket Tony. we have played half the season and are in eighth place. Beating Everton who looked really good earlier in the season against us. A superb draw at Chelsea. The team is in great shape !!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I will ignore the childish interpretation of my initials. But I agree the club will use one of our loanees out as our 6th (sixth!) CB!

How can CB be a priority. Think about it. I would say it is the lowest priority position to strengthen. The highest is undoubtedly striker.

I have thought about it, hence my long post. I believe we need a back up striker and a first team CB. Hence, CB is priority.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
He doesn’t

Jones’ey when are you going to realise We might not be looking for that traditional no9 of your dreams
As stated by the OP earlier( that post deserves a tip of the hat btw )
The type of Forward we are chasing is more versatile and has the ability to play across the line
Which is why LT is not just looked at by GP as a winger Were inside forwards of yesteryear units? or more skilful speed merchants
I won’t argue that a bigger lad up front would give us options to play the ball forward more quickly to mix it up on occasion
But I don’t think it’s quite as essential as you believe it to be

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Keep your money in your pocket Tony. we have played half the season and are in eighth place. Beating Everton who looked really good earlier in the season against us. A superb draw at Chelsea. The team is in great shape !!

Yes, but no. Strengthen from a position of strength.

Easier to attract players when you're 8th. Make sure we're protected when stars leave

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Although there is a reason why the best sides use the transfer market to strengthen what’s good can be even better.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we send Scherpen out on loan ( not a bad idea ) we'll need another 2nd/3rd choice GK.

Tom McGill only has 1 league appearance for Crawley on his cv so we'd need a player with a fraction more experience.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I sort of agree as of today, but it can go badly wrong and if it does this place will be in uproar if we did not sign 1 or 2.
Happy with Maupay and Wellbeck but one can lose form and miss chances and the other gets injured.
Also we could lose 1 or 2 January for stupid offers, it's a difficult decision.
But, in a fantasy world, from 2 teams in trouble, if we had a sniff of Saint Maximum at Newcastle (who could well be replaced by a trillion pound player anyway) and Cornet from Burnley, I would love to see them at Brighton, real strength, pace, and goals.
If not January then maybe this Summer.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've a feeling that any incoming new striker, (we still need one by the way), will wait until the summer now. More options will be available then, and at more realistic prices too.

No need to panic now, we are purring along very nicely at present, and can afford to take our time. As a previous poster said, we can strengthen from a position of strength.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"Needs to be done" - none.

But I think there will be another attacking player available by the end of the month if the club manages to get rid of Locadia and send Richards & Roberts out on loan. If it is a new signing or someone returning from loan is difficult to tell.

Either that or GP tried to mind**** some players to get vaccinated through his comment about potentially bringing someone in due to covid making things unreliable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here