Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What transfer business do you think needs to be done in January?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I have thought about it, hence my long post. I believe we need a back up striker and a first team CB. Hence, CB is priority.

Okay fair enough. A valid opinion but I disagree. What happens if Welbs gets injured again? Total reliance on Maupay is a massive mistake IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Jones’ey when are you going to realise We might not be looking for that traditional no9 of your dreams
As stated by the OP earlier( that post deserves a tip of the hat btw )
The type of Forward we are chasing is more versatile and has the ability to play across the line
Which is why LT is not just looked at by GP as a winger Were inside forwards of yesteryear units? or more skilful speed merchants
I won’t argue that a bigger lad up front would give us options to play the ball forward more quickly to mix it up on occasion
But I don’t think it’s quite as essential as you believe it to be

So why did Tony bid so high for Darwin?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yes, but no. Strengthen from a position of strength.

Easier to attract players when you're 8th. Make sure we're protected when stars leave

Now that I agree with. Now is the time to bag that elusive striker whilst we are riding high

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now that I agree with. Now is the time to bag that elusive striker whilst we are riding high

I see I've missed nothing since I last read one of your posts. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can understand why he's not happy at Chelski.
Their manager is a miserable humourless twonk.

:lolol:

allo-allo-what-are-you-saying.gif

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Bloom has always said does not like getting players in January. With 27 points has no need to.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Happy with the squad developing nicely,they're all playing for each other,be careful not to upset that team spirit.If Welbeck remains fit what a bonus,is there a player available that fits our wage structure that would improve our team?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Good post. For the third time today. I have to say I NEVER said we should spend £50 million on a striker.

Tross is NOT a striker, so now we have 3…

Maupay - good, but like any striker can lose form. See last season.
Welbs - our best striker, but likely to be injured far too often.
DJ - NOWHERE near good enough, even as cover.

So, we are very exposed to having one good enough fit striker (Maupay) who may lose form. Therefore, we need another striker. Even if that is a recall loanee.

Tross playing in a false 9 is a red herring that worked once because Liverpool incessantly attack. It will NOT work in almost every game.

OK. So what do you suggest? I agree we need more help up there, my point is it’s not worth gambling mega money unless we find someone who we are absolutely sure will work out there. So I can’t see any other strategy other than keep doing what we are doing, and try to develop Connolly / Zeqiri etc through loans.

I don’t think you’ll find a Brighton fan that disagrees that the DJ needs to go.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So why did Tony bid so high for Darwin?

Because he was someone who the club thought ticked all the boxes, and was worth gambling that kind of money on. None of our realistic targets either before or since have been. He’s now worth £50 million, and the club clearly knew that was likely to happen, hence the big bid. See my comment earlier about them being rare as hens teeth.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Okay fair enough. A valid opinion but I disagree. What happens if Welbs gets injured again? Total reliance on Maupay is a massive mistake IMHO.

Trossard is a forward now for us. Moder also played pretty much up front at Chelsea. It doesn’t look like Potter has any interest in playing two out and out strikers so we have Tross, Maupay, Welbeck, Moder and Ferguson. We won’t be breaking the bank for an out an out striker this January unless one of our outstanding candidates (someone like Nunez) somehow becomes available for the right price.

Last edited:

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I'm not sure how important transfers are as a sign of ambition and implication on retaining other players. I winced hearing pundit speculation that Arsenal would be a great move for Biss and Cucurella. That said what a great problem to have...that we have players capable of moving to teams with European qualification.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Most important business I believe is getting some contracts sorted.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I was screaming for a striker after sitting through the Leeds, Newcastle and Wolves games where we couldn’t hit a barn door.

But like all fickle fans, I see less reason now. Maupay has hit form and Welbeck is fit (for now).

We also seem to have hit on a very decent set up with Bissouma and MacAllister in midfield. The latter really important as he seems capable of scoring goals - something sadly lacking previously.

I see now a new striker could very well mess up the team ethic, and like others have said, I’m not sure where we get one from - especially as there are many more desperate teams out there than us who would be willing to pay up.

Maybe a more attacking wide man? But even there what we have already seem to be doing a pretty decent job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe you have just missed (blocked) three posts telling us we need a new striker? Not thought of opening them just to check?

One was enough :lolol:

I was curious to see if he had anything new to say but, sadly not.

Regarding the 'new striker' issue, many years ago, outside Dagenham and Redbridge's ground when we were playing there in the third tier (cracking goal from Muzza), I was interviewed by a company that puts interviews with supporters on a web page. The interviewer thought I was a home fan, so I decided to see if I could blag my way through the interview.

"How are you enjoying the season?"
me: "Not bad, but it will be tough this evening"
"Why's that?"
me: "Well we are up against Brighton, and these are a good side"
"Going forward, what do you think the manager should do? What should he strengthen"
me: "We need a new striker"
"Why?"
me: "Every club needs a new striker"

Even when mucking about, and 'discussing' the likes of Dagenham and Redbridge, it needs to be said only once. Not three times a day on NSC. I don't even take that many dumps in a day, and I have an iffy colon! :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was screaming for a striker after sitting through the Leeds, Newcastle and Wolves games where we couldn’t hit a barn door.

But like all fickle fans, I see less reason now. Maupay has hit form and Welbeck is fit (for now).

We also seem to have hit on a very decent set up with Bissouma and MacAllister in midfield. The latter really important as he seems capable of scoring goals - something sadly lacking previously.

I see now a new striker could very well mess up the team ethic
, and like others have said, I’m not sure where we get one from - especially as there are many more desperate teams out there than us who would be willing to pay up.

Maybe a more attacking wide man? But even there what we have already seem to be doing a pretty decent job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in exacly the same camp.

During the first wave of bw3's relentless tide of tedium I felt inclined to push back, simply because . . . . if I discovered that my arse hole points downward I wouldn't feel inclined to start three threads about it every day. And the idea of poking people with a stick to get them to 'admit' that Potter has it wrong, every day, multiple times....frankly when you get to that stage you need help.

However....despite our poor goal return I did still feel that having a Callum whatsisface or Yvonne Tony wouldn't really fit the way Potter wanted us to play. A Jota or Salah would fit in, but not the sort of 'proven' striker we could attract (a lump, basically, or someone with injury issues and we already have Welbeck). And as you say, the costs, dear boy, think of the costs.

Keeping the faith was foremost in my Potter-positive mind....yes, not only would a big lump mess up team ethic, it would probably unbalance the side.

We need all our gifted players thinking of themselves as goal scorers. The cushioned header by Neal and the strike by Ali Mac yesterday exemplified that, and were a delight.

That's the sort of thing we need. Let's hope we see more of it. And if we do bring in anyone, you know, then that's lovely, too.:rolleyes:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I am very worried that we have lost our last main scapegoat out on loan, we need to sign another striker from a noddy league to compete with Locadia and keep the boo boys distracted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here