Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What transfer business do you think needs to be done in January?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Might have been mentioned Brian Owen on The Argus website said.... ''Aaron Connolly is expected to leave Albion on loan in January. But The Argus understands that is unlikely to mean a senior striker coming in.''

Yes read that. I hope the Argus knows nothing (as usual)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well, I don't think we're through the crisis yet, with Dunk still out, but moreover, until we are the best team in the world there are always improvements to be made, and for me centre-back is the most obvious place to tackle next.

Really!? We have a temporary problem at CB and a permanent problem scoring goals. My priority is definitely striker

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
And that guess from The Argus is probably correct. I think any player incoming is more likely to be someone like Trossard who can play in any attacking role. Like Mitoma or Khadra.

But are they ready? And anyway they are forwards not strikers. Potter seems to struggle with this concept too TBF

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yes read that. I hope the Argus knows nothing (as usual).

I’ve got it hard for Cyle Larin.

Mostly plays on the left wing but scores a lot of goals by coming central when the ball is being played down the right.

He is 6ft2 and a huge threat in the air.

Contract runs out in June but with Besiktas close to signing Tosun, he is surely on his way in January.

Ideally a back-up for Welbeck, he can also play centrally.

Fingers crossed on this one.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Mostly plays on the left wing but scores a lot of goals by coming central when the ball is being played down the right.

Contract runs out in June but with Besiktas close to signing Tosun, he is surely on his way in January.

Ooh sounds like a good cheaper alternative to BBD. Interesting

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

Would be a superb signing

Fingers crossed

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But are they ready? And anyway they are forwards not strikers. Potter seems to struggle with this concept too TBF

I don’t think it’s Potter that struggles with the concept. It’s football fans that can’t understand how the game has moved on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am going for a couple of signings, neither first team ready but with real potential. It’s crystal clear that this is the business model now.

Get your razor blade to hand if you are expecting a ready made PL level striker either as a signing or a loan.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I don’t think it’s Potter that struggles with the concept. It’s football fans that can’t understand how the game has moved on.

Nice to see you here. I am clear in my mind what a striker is and what a forward is. Potter seems to think Tross can be a striker. He isn’t.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I am going for a couple of signings, neither first team ready but with real potential. It’s crystal clear that this is the business model now.

Get your razor blade to hand if you are expecting a ready made PL level striker either as a signing or a loan.

You are probably correct. Recall Zeqiri or Sima?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As always striker signings will be with an eye on future squads.

Factors like :

Will Welbeck be here next season ?
Will Maupay sign a new contract ?
How are Zeqiri, Sima, and Connolly progressing ?

will have a serious input into any decision about signing a new player.

I *think* we may sign a new attacker. But not for £20 million+. More like £10 million max. is my guess.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You are probably correct. Recall Zeqiri or Sima?

Sima has hit his "2 club maximum" with Slavia Prague and Stoke.

Any recall wouldn't be so we can play him.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
A few weeks ago anyone suggesting we could dominate Chelsea and feel a bit unlucky only getting a point without Dunk, Webster and Duffy in the team would have been laughed off of these pages………:D

Personally can’t see much incoming unless an experienced ‘PL ready’ striker somehow becomes available (which I doubt). The outgoings look pretty obvious. Quiet window ahead I reckon.

Lukaku not in Chelsea squad against Liverpool today. Transfer to the AMEX imminent according to my sauces here in London...and then again....
It's a shame his comments didn't come out before our game and we could have got all 3 points from Chelsea

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Nice to see you here. I am clear in my mind what a striker is and what a forward is. Potter seems to think Tross can be a striker. He isn’t.

Thanks.

My point is that teams don’t need strikers in this day and age. It’s the hardest position to play, and a decent one is as rare as hens teeth, and costs megabucks. So innovative coaches worked out ways of playing football without relying on one striker, who could get injured at any time. We’re 10th I. The Premier League in January playing like this, let’s not forget.

Say we sign a £50 million striker who bangs in 20 goals for us. What happens then, do you think? He’d be gone within 2 seasons and we’d be back where we started again. Yes we’d get massive money for him, but we’d still have the same problem again. And why would a £50 million striker come to us?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure everyone at the club would love an out and out 20 goal a season striker (which, by the way, basically means a Kane or Salah so £100 million +) but they have to also find a way to cope without one, as it’s only ever going to be a temporary fix.

The club can say we don’t need a new striker as much as they want, but obviously they would actually love one - you don’t go around advertising that you’re desperate to buy one or the price goes up £20 million. They were clearly trying in the Summer, but feel we have enough elsewhere in the squad to not risk mega money on one, unless they tick every single box for us. Which makes perfect sense to me.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Really!? We have a temporary problem at CB and a permanent problem scoring goals. My priority is definitely striker

That's because your username stands for Bed Wetter 2 :lol:

We have one of the leading strikers in the division in Maupay. Trossard is a good second striker, Welbeck offers something very different and potentially high quality when fit, and we hope his operation is a game changer for him. Meanwhile there are some very interesting youth options coming through and on loan. This is a striker situation which most clubs would be very happy to have.

Our goal scoring issue is the almost complete lack of goals from midfield, wings, defence. But they're a young bunch and I think we persevere with them.

We also know that the club is pursuing a top end striker and won't be letting up on that chase.

For me our CB issue is not temporary. We've played at least one of Duffy and Burn in pretty much every single game so far this season. They've done well - they're decent premier league players - but we can do better - it's the one part of the team where we seem weaker than last year after selling White. Although I concede that we will probably wait to introduce Roberts or van Hecke or Turns or Tsongui into the side in the summer, a big investment here wouldn't be undesired in the interests of always staying ahead of the curve.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
As always striker signings will be with an eye on future squads.

Factors like :

Will Welbeck be here next season ?
Will Maupay sign a new contract ?
How are Zeqiri, Sima, and Connolly progressing ?

will have a serious input into any decision about signing a new player.

I *think* we may sign a new attacker. But not for £20 million+. More like £10 million max. is my guess.

Zeqiri’s loan team just spent £20m on a striker maybe he is returning.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Thanks.

My point is that teams don’t need strikers in this day and age. It’s the hardest position to play, and a decent one is as rare as hens teeth, and costs megabucks. So innovative coaches worked out ways of playing football without relying on one striker, who could get injured at any time. We’re 10th I. The Premier League in January playing like this, let’s not forget.

Say we sign a £50 million striker who bangs in 20 goals for us. What happens then, do you think? He’d be gone within 2 seasons and we’d be back where we started again. Yes we’d get massive money for him, but we’d still have the same problem again. And why would a £50 million striker come to us?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure everyone at the club would love an out and out 20 goal a season striker (which, by the way, basically means a Kane or Salah so £100 million +) but they have to also find a way to cope without one, as it’s only ever going to be a temporary fix.

The club can say we don’t need a new striker as much as they want, but obviously they would actually love one - you don’t go around advertising that you’re desperate to buy one or the price goes up £20 million. They were clearly trying in the Summer, but feel we have enough elsewhere in the squad to not risk mega money on one, unless they tick every single box for us. Which makes perfect sense to me.
Apart from Peps £billion side how many PL managers don’t play with a striker???

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Thanks.

Very good post

Would b.w.2 classify Salah as a striker i wonder? more of a free-scoring wideman

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Apart from Peps £billion side how many PL managers don’t play with a striker???

Don’t play with a striker or don’t play with a striker better than we have?

An interchangeable front three makes far more sense than an out and out striker these days.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
That's because your username stands for Bed Wetter 2 :lol:

We have one of the leading strikers in the division in Maupay. Trossard is a good second striker, Welbeck offers something very different and potentially high quality when fit, and we hope his operation is a game changer for him. Meanwhile there are some very interesting youth options coming through and on loan. This is a striker situation which most clubs would be very happy to have.

Our goal scoring issue is the almost complete lack of goals from midfield, wings, defence. But they're a young bunch and I think we persevere with them.

We also know that the club is pursuing a top end striker and won't be letting up on that chase.

For me our CB issue is not temporary. We've played at least one of Duffy and Burn in pretty much every single game so far this season. They've done well - they're decent premier league players - but we can do better - it's the one part of the team where we seem weaker than last year after selling White. Although I concede that we will probably wait to introduce Roberts or van Hecke or Turns or Tsongui into the side in the summer, a big investment here wouldn't be undesired in the interests of always staying ahead of the curve.

I will ignore the childish interpretation of my initials. But I agree the club will use one of our loanees out as our 6th (sixth!) CB!

How can CB be a priority. Think about it. I would say it is the lowest priority position to strengthen. The highest is undoubtedly striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here