[Albion] What transfer business do you think needs to be done in January?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
With our injury situation eased and Welbeck back playing we might not see many/any incomings. If a deal is there to be done then great, but i could see us leave the striker situation for better deals in the summer, and rely on Maupay, Welbeck, Trossard, and Ferguson until then. Connolly looks to be gone, and hopefully Andone and Locadia will follow out the door.

If Connolly goes I'm pretty sure someone will arrive. If that is Khadra/Zeqiri/Mitoma or someone else is a different question. It could even be something as unusual as a loan player (since it might be problematic to sign someone when a bunch of attacking players are coming back in the summer).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm not convinced we'll be signing a striker, certainly not from the expectation dampening coming out of the Athletic and Argus pages.

The Connolly loan looks like they just need to cross the t's and dot the lowercase j's on the deal.

Andone seems on his way back but is the door revolving for him and is he out the other side as well ?

And Locadia is surely off or a deal is done to make him a free agent on Jan 31st.

Zeqiri recall ? Possibly.

Mitoma I personally doubt as Tony will not want to undermine USG's stellar season.

If we get a loan it won't be a youngster to develop for someone else - it'll be a player at the other end of their career no longer getting regular games.

Just my guesses. Who knows.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If Connolly goes I'm pretty sure someone will arrive. If that is Khadra/Zeqiri/Mitoma or someone else is a different question. It could even be something as unusual as a loan player (since it might be problematic to sign someone when a bunch of attacking players are coming back in the summer).

‘When’ Connolly goes!

I’m certain someone will arrive too but not another Zeqiri or Sima. Young strikers with potential generally don’t cut it in the EPL, we’re sending Connolly out on loan, I can’t see us pulling back someone unproven like Khadra or Zeqiri. Mitoma is well on his way to getting a Juliper winners medal, Sarmiento could be back as soon as February to fill our inexperienced winger/striker berth:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/injured-b...y-recovery-process-will-back-faster-expected/

Look at the experience and quality of Welbeck. I think the club might get hold of another experienced international or two. Just a hunch.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/15012176/brighton-baghdad-bounedjah-transfer-al-sadd/amp/

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19769790.amp/

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Centre-back, either recalling a loan or buying someone in. We haven't replaced Ben White yet, for all Duffy's strengths he's not in the long-term plans, and Dunk and Webster's injuries have shown our weakness there.

I probably don't expect it to happen until the summer, and if they are convinced that van Hecke, Roberts, Turns or a.n.other is the answer a purchase may not happen at all, but finding a Ben White replacement is a top priority as far as I'm concerned

Sir-Len

Oct 28, 2012
Berkshire
‘When’ Connolly goes!

I’m certain someone will arrive too but not another Zeqiri or Sima. Young strikers with potential generally don’t cut it in the EPL, we’re sending Connolly out on loan, I can’t see us pulling back someone unproven like Khadra or Zeqiri. Mitoma is well on his way to getting a Juliper winners medal, Sarmiento could be back as soon as February to fill our inexperienced winger/striker berth:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/injured-b...y-recovery-process-will-back-faster-expected/

Look at the experience and quality of Welbeck. I think the club might get hold of another experienced international or two. Just a hunch.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/15012176/brighton-baghdad-bounedjah-transfer-al-sadd/amp/

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19769790.amp/

Good news on Sarmiento, Larin speculation seems to have gone quiet but does look like a striker that would offer a genuine difference to the squad. Out of contract in the summer, with an indication he won’t sign a new deal so there is potential for a move somewhere.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Centre-back, either recalling a loan or buying someone in. We haven't replaced Ben White yet, for all Duffy's strengths he's not in the long-term plans, and Dunk and Webster's injuries have shown our weakness there.

I probably don't expect it to happen until the summer, and if they are convinced that van Hecke, Roberts, Turns or a.n.other is the answer a purchase may not happen at all, but finding a Ben White replacement is a top priority as far as I'm concerned

Surely one of Roberts, Van Hecke, Turns or Tsoungui has to be the Ben White replacement or our academy model that produces a ball playing CH for £50m and then has to buy a replacement ball playing CH for (what would have to be) the same or similar money… is busted.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021

Can't see a CB as priority at all. We seem to have got through a potential 'crisis' situation in pretty good shape with existing players. Can't see us spending money on that area when our options are good even discounting those on loan elsewhere.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Well whatever happens I feel we can be fairly relaxed about it now. If a good deal is there then great, but if not then we have options in all positions and our injury situation seems to have eased. We could let Connolly, Locadia, and Andone leave, not recall any loan players, and still have Maupay, Welbeck, Trossard, Ferguson, and Tolaj as striker options for the remaining half season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A few weeks ago anyone suggesting we could dominate Chelsea and feel a bit unlucky only getting a point without Dunk, Webster and Duffy in the team would have been laughed off of these pages………:D

Personally can’t see much incoming unless an experienced ‘PL ready’ striker somehow becomes available (which I doubt). The outgoings look pretty obvious. Quiet window ahead I reckon.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Yet, we're conceding fewer goals than we were last season. Others have stepped up.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
As I’ve been saying for weeks, we won’t just go out and spunk 00million on a striker in January. Even more certain of it now Welbz is fit. We are bound to sign one or two prospects.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Might have been mentioned Brian Owen on The Argus website said.... ''Aaron Connolly is expected to leave Albion on loan in January. But The Argus understands that is unlikely to mean a senior striker coming in.''

Jimmy Grimble

The best business we can do in January is tying Bissouma, Maupay and Trossard down on longer contracts.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Can't see a CB as priority at all. We seem to have got through a potential 'crisis' situation in pretty good shape with existing players. Can't see us spending money on that area when our options are good even discounting those on loan elsewhere.

Well, I don't think we're through the crisis yet, with Dunk still out, but moreover, until we are the best team in the world there are always improvements to be made, and for me centre-back is the most obvious place to tackle next.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Surely one of Roberts, Van Hecke, Turns or Tsoungui has to be the Ben White replacement or our academy model that produces a ball playing CH for £50m and then has to buy a replacement ball playing CH for (what would have to be) the same or similar money… is busted.

Hopefully. But we could have done with them being ready now....

But then again, there's nothing wrong with turning a minimal Ben White investment into £50 million, reinvesting that on another player who we then turn into a £100m player, and so on and so forth. Reinvesting the money made is a great way to improve, nothing wrong with that. And buying new players doesn't prevent the others gaining value independently.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Might have been mentioned Brian Owen on The Argus website said.... ''Aaron Connolly is expected to leave Albion on loan in January. But The Argus understands that is unlikely to mean a senior striker coming in.''

And that guess from The Argus is probably correct. I think any player incoming is more likely to be someone like Trossard who can play in any attacking role. Like Mitoma or Khadra.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports