Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What made you a Brighton fan?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Remember that game well Warboys & Bannister scored them all 2 Cloughies embarassment :-(

Smash and grab they called them, but in a weird west country drawl. Melksham was an absolute shit hole. Made Swindon look like monte Carlo

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
Funny way in for me. Born in Brighton, dad nor brothers that interested in Football. I settled on Arsenal when I was about 6 and it took until I was 14 when the albion were in the news for all the wrong reasons in 1996 that I 'became' a brighton fan.

Biggest regret is I never went to the Goldstone, first game as at the Priestfield :eek:

Similar for me.

Dad liked football but never loved it. I started getting into footy at school as a Man Utd "fan" (never seen them play but had a Cantona 7 replica shirt). Really wanted to see a live game so nagged dad into taking me to The Goldstone in the Archer years and got caught up in the drama at the time. Dumped Man U and started following The Albion with increasing love and convinced Dad we should get season tickets and go together every week. Been years now and my affection for the club keeps getting stronger and stronger and I wouldn't swap the times I've seen for anything.

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
Gerry Ryan having his leg broken at Selhurst Park....the whole ground went quiet..after the awful snapping sound. does anybody remember ?
Couple of amazing goals...Garry Nelson at Griffin Park and Martin Keown for the Albion at the Goldstone from about 35 yards out.

BHA-MASCOT-85

Jul 27, 2011
Brighton
Brighton born n bred and my family were all Brighton fans so was a regular at the Goldstone with my little box to stand on behind the goal in the North stand in the very early eighties!I Scored a great goal at the North stand end on my only appearance there and won 1-0

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Gerry Ryan having his leg broken at Selhurst Park....the whole ground went quiet..after the awful snapping sound. does anybody remember ?
Couple of amazing goals...Garry Nelson at Griffin Park and Martin Keown for the Albion at the Goldstone from about 35 yards out.

Yes buy Henry f***ing houghton Chris houghtons brother I seem to recall....got very nasty outside afterwards

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Moved to Shoreham aged 4.. My Dad to me to my first game at the goldstone vs Southampton April 3 1982.. Hooked since.. Still have the programme from the game... :)

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Third generation Brighton fan on my dad's side of the family. Dad took me to my first game when I was 7 whilst I was living in Lincoln. Have never looked back.

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
Up until i was 12 i supported Arsenal, because my stupid dad supported them. Then my uncle said how about we go and see Brighton play Charlton in a friendly and at the time i wasn't too bothered but as the game went on i got more and more hooked, we lost 1-0 and i was still disappointed! Ever since i've been a season ticket holder every year and will never stop supporting the Albion.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Grew up in West Sussex, Brighton were the nearest professional football team, so that is about it...plus we had a very elderly next door neighbour whose dad had been a director at the club around the time it was formed, who told us to support Brighton, seemed reasonable at the time.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Looks like' dad' is the greatest influence in this thread. Are the kids in single-parent families/absent fathers missing out ?
Or is it just too hard to take your kids intio all-seaters ? In the 80's mine often went over/under the turnstiles, and sometimes aided by the constabulary themselves.

SeeGoals

Bloom’n Marvellous
Jan 22, 2009
Horsham by the sea
Been following the Albion since late 80's (conceived in Hove and born in Brighton), The Goldstone, Priestfield and Withdean (Oh not forgetting Wembley and Millenium Stadiums)

N.B. I was part of the crowd at Priestfield against Barnet (Our lowest ever league gate November 5th 1997) does that make me a JCL?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here