Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What made you a Brighton fan?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Just out of interest really... With the opening of our amazing stadium and the influx of JCL's I'm just interested to see what brought the fans on here to the club?

Was it family? Was it a specific match that turned your head?

For me, I'm from Brighton and there was no-one else because my family have been Seagulls since 1926 (when they were still Dolphins!). Fell in love with them as soon as I went to the Goldstone and never looked back.

:bhasign:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Okay, I'll be first to give what I reckon will be the most common answer. My dad (now departed) took me when I was kid, and that was that.

Last edited:

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I moved to Brighton in late 1993 when I was 9 and was just getting into football so my Dad took me to the Goldstone. The rest is history!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was a Spurs fan from the age of 6, but never got to see them (at the time). I lived in Mid-Sussex, and my first (and next dozen) game was at the Goldstone, so that was that.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Okay, I'll be first to give what I reckon will be the most common answer. My dad (RIP) took me when I was kid, and that was that.

OK, i'll be the first to say This.

This

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Craig Mackail-Smith

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
I was not made a Brighton fan, I was born a Brighton fan. My family are all Gooners and Bees fans. I think I am the black sheep of the family. :shrug:

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Just out of interest really... With the opening of our amazing stadium and the influx of JCL's I'm just interested to see what brought the fans on here to the club?

Was it family? Was it a specific match that turned your head?

For me, I'm from Brighton and there was no-one else because my family have been Seagulls since 1926 (when they were still Dolphins!). Fell in love with them as soon as I went to the Goldstone and never looked back.

:bhasign:

nb up to and during the 60s, our official nickname was "The Shrimps", shared by Grimsby Town, who also deemed fit to change from the shrimps, (cant think why)
cant remember anyone shouting "Cmon you Shrimps!", anyone with a longer memory perhaps ?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Dad tried, Was failing then my brother [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION] bullied me into it.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I actually used to hate football - my older brother used to play U16 county football and I remember spending far more time playing around in woods nearby than having any interest in him kicking a ball around. Then, at the age of 9, I took an interest in Italia '90 - I even remember printing out a huge SHILTON SAVES THE DAY banner on A4 pieces of paper for the semi-final. On the back of this, I started supporting Spurs because of the Lineker/Gascoigne combination - whilst my family are all Man City fans having grown up in Cheshire (I'm the only one of the family born in Sussex).

Anyway, despite supporting Spurs, my Dad took me along to an Albion game - in the South Stand - in 90/91. I can still picture walking into the back of the stand and seeing the brilliantly green grass of the Goldstone. I was hooked. The season then culminated in the Play-Off Final at Wembley when Tommy Johnson, the ginger prick, broke my heart. I was soon taking my place in the North Stand at £5.50 a ticket, and I've been Albion ever since.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
My dad's a Chelsea fan but back in the early 80's he wouldn't take me there due to all the trouble so off to Brighton we went instead. Seem to remember the London clubs "taking" the North Stand fairly regularly though so I don't think his plan to keep me away from football violence worked that well!! Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but I seem to remember the East Stand being split in 3 and the southern end being the family section which was where I had to watch the North Stand events in fascination from!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here