Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What made you a Brighton fan?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Born in Cuckfield, spent my early years in Haywards Heath and dad is Albion through and through. Then living in Hampshire surrounded by Saints and Pompey even when we were shite and they were in the top two divisions actually reinforced my passion for all things Albion. I love our team, our history and our fans, couldnt wish to support a better club in my ever so slightly biased opinion.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
My brother, in early 1977 saying 'Why do you like Southampton when we've got our own team here in Brighton?'

A 3 mile walk, a 1-1 draw and a certain Mr P. Ward esq. turned my head somewhat . . .

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
My oldest Brother took me 2 the Goldstone in 64, Bobby Smiths debut 3-1 against Barrow, i was only a little boy then we travelled on the train from Worthing, ive been hooked ever since, and all my sons r big fans as well, in fact my 3 year old has a season ticket now, is he classed as a JCL, he saw several games at withers last season ??

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
At primary school I used to support whoever was top of the league. Then, at the ripe old age of 9, a good family friends took me to my first game (this was in 1975) and I've been an avid, albeit not a frequent visitor in the last few years, supporter ever since.

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
Resent the JCL tag!

First game 1968/69 Dawson, Duffey et el.
With me Dad. Then with my Grandad. through the early 70's, Any one remember 2-0 v Bournemouth Boxing Day? (32,000)1972 I think! I was standing on an orange box at the front of the terrace at the south end of the East stand. The burger bar roof fell in under the weight of the fans sitting on it.Chaos.

All through the 70's incl Brighton v Derby evening game League Cup (33,000) fantastic night.

Missing promotion....getting promotion...FA Cup...getting relegated!

Withdean season ticket holder till 2002 then moved to Spain. But Brighton Born and Bred!.Followed from afar but hardly a JCL. Up the Albion.:p:thumbsup:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
My dad and my uncle.
As I have said before, a true football fan dies not choose his team - it is allocated at birth.
But fair play to those with no original Sussex links who have seen the light and converted. No-one in the last 20 years can be accused of being a gloryhunter.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
First game 1968/69 Dawson, Duffey et el.
With me Dad. Then with my Grandad. through the early 70's, Any one remember 2-0 v Bournemouth Boxing Day? (32,000)1972 I think! I was standing on an orange box at the front of the terrace at the south end of the East stand. The burger bar roof fell in under the weight of the fans sitting on it.Chaos.

All through the 70's incl Brighton v Derby evening game League Cup (33,000) fantastic night.

Missing promotion....getting promotion...FA Cup...getting relegated!

Withdean season ticket holder till 2002 then moved to Spain. But Brighton Born and Bred!.Followed from afar but hardly a JCL. Up the Albion.:p:thumbsup:

Went to that Derby game. One of my first. Do you remember other evening games of 30,000+ in the same era 1975 to 1979?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Moved here in 1974. One Saturday my dad told me and my brother to go to the goldstone and I was hooked.

Lived in Wiltshire before that and went to a school with a load of brizzle rovers fans, and we all thought Brighton were some mickey mouse outfit after rovers won 8-2.

Funny how life moves on

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Grandfather and Uncle(grans brother) both deceased. season ticket holders used to take my mother as a little girl.
Moved to Gloucestershire in 1970 aged 2.
Dad took me,mum and younger brother to see Bristol Rovers which he supported.
Albion won 4-0 Peter Ward was God.
30+ years later .........

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
Moved here in 1974. One Saturday my dad told me and my brother to go to the goldstone and I was hooked.

Lived in Wiltshire before that and went to a school with a load of brizzle rovers fans, and we all thought Brighton were some mickey mouse outfit after rovers won 8-2.

Funny how life moves on

Remember that game well Warboys & Bannister scored them all 2 Cloughies embarassment :-(

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
Also as a bit of a Statto Brizzie Rovers are the team we have played most ever since we formed, and weve always got on well with them, prob due to Vinnicombes interest :laugh:

bpbill

Jul 13, 2011
Until I was 14 I was a Leeds/Celtic/Dumbarton supporter as we moved between England and Scotland, however I never actually went to games as my immediate family weren't interested, so I supported what I could see on the telly. However when we moved to Hastings I was introduced to my grandads collection of sporting memorabilia, he was born and bred Eastbourne and had a large collection of football and cricket information to do with the town. But what he also had was a number of football programs for BHAFC and some internationals that he had seen at the Goldstone and my interest was piqued.

I don't remember the first match I saw but I do remember heading out the door on Saturday mornings, telling my mum I was meeting friends and then either catching the train, or sometimes even hitchiking over from Hastings to Brighton to watch the football. I remember some huge crowds in the old second division as we missed and then achieved promotion and that first ever game in the first division against AFC, always thinking I would tell my grandad what I was secretly up to on my Saturdays and get him to actually take me one day. I was waiting until I was 16 and what I considered an adult and out of reach of any trouble I might have got into for my Saturday escapades, . However it was soon after that match he died so although we never did go to football together he was the one who introduced me to it and Brighton.

I took my own boys to their first matches #1 son to the Goldstone and #2 son to Priestfield, theres a big gap between #2 and #3 and hopefully he will be going to the Amex in the not to distant future.

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
Went to that Derby game. One of my first. Do you remember other evening games of 30,000+ in the same era 1975 to 1979?

Remember 7-0 v Charlton, but I think that might have been early 80's. Against Walsall 76/77 7-0 after a 0-0 HT. Doing a collection around the inside of the ground whilst we got hammered by Bristol Rovers 2-8. Warbouys and Bannister I think on Cloughies first game. 1974 I believe.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I remember Spurs beating Brizzle Rovers 9-0 in 1977 and the following week they were at our place... huge crowd in anticipation of another drubbing and if I remember rightly they held us!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Also as a bit of a Statto Brizzie Rovers are the team we have played most ever since we formed, and weve always got on well with them, prob due to Vinnicombes interest :laugh:

I thought that honour went to Norwich City?

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
Until I was 14 I was a Leeds/Celtic/Dumbarton supporter as we moved between England and Scotland, however I never actually went to games as my immediate family weren't interested, so I supported what I could see on the telly. However when we moved to Hastings I was introduced to my grandads collection of sporting memorabilia, he was born and bred Eastbourne and had a large collection of football and cricket information to do with the town. But what he also had was a number of football programs for BHAFC and some internationals that he had seen at the Goldstone and my interest was piqued.

I don't remember the first match I saw but I do remember heading out the door on Saturday mornings, telling my mum I was meeting friends and then either catching the train, or sometimes even hitchiking over from Hastings to Brighton to watch the football. I remember some huge crowds in the old second division as we missed and then achieved promotion and that first ever game in the first division against AFC, always thinking I would tell my grandad what I was secretly up to on my Saturdays and get him to actually take me one day. I was waiting until I was 16 and what I considered an adult and out of reach of any trouble I might have got into for my Saturday escapades, . However it was soon after that match he died so although we never did go to football together he was the one who introduced me to it and Brighton.

I took my own boys to their first matches #1 son to the Goldstone and #2 son to Priestfield, theres a big gap between #2 and #3 and hopefully he will be going to the Amex in the not to distant future.

Have you still got any old proggys left ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here