Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What made you a Brighton fan?

dal

Oct 8, 2006
redhill
it was 1976,i was 10 and neighbour kid was a palarse fan.he had a pic of brighton team on his dartboard so i though fuxk you.il support brighton.i obviously didnt like him much.1st match was selhurst away fsc1st reply 1976.damn as ive only done 50 posts am i a jcl??

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Sussex born and bred,there is no other team I could ever support other than my beloved Albion.What really got the hook in me were the Alan Mullery years and those fantastic thrills of the Goldstone,especialy the night matches, the atmosphere was something special and I pray the Amex re-captures that magic.:bhasign:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
27.12.80 - Brighton 3 Palac e 2, Brighton till I die

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Sussex born and bred,there is no other team I could ever support other than my beloved Albion.What really got the hook in me were the Alan Mullery years and those fantastic thrills of the Goldstone,especialy the night matches, the atmosphere was something special and I pray the Amex re-captures that magic.:bhasign:

Alan Mullery lives in my village and is often seen out and about. A really nice guy.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Shame the OP spoilt it with the ever tiring 'JCL' term... this patronising has to stop some time?

I am loathed to remember when I decided I wanted to support the club because I can't remember if it was 70 or 71 when they played Chelsea in an FA Cup tie. I went as a 6/7 year old with a bunch of blokes, friends of my dad to see my team Chelsea. My dad wasn't much into footy and supported Arsenal anyway, the sentence seems apt. Anyway from that day on I became a Brighton fan as well as a Chelsea fan and it never really stopped, although my loyalties are squarely with the Albion over Chelsea any day, and I have seen Brighton and the Goldstone more times then I would ever see Chelsea or Stamford Bridge and I would want Brighton to win every time v Chelsea. Was a strange thing to support them both. But anyway that is when I became a Brighton supporter and have been ever since.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Shame the OP spoilt it with the ever tiring 'JCL' term... this patronising has to stop some time?

I am loathed to remember when I decided I wanted to support the club because I can't remember if it was 70 or 71 when they played Chelsea in an FA Cup tie.

A PEDANT WRITES :
The FA Cup game against Chelsea was in Jan 1973.

Well I 1st discovered football in 78 I think (as a 4 year old) with getting a sticker of the then Ipswich captain Mick Mills and for some reason became an Ipswich fan! Then my eldest brother (I have 5!) took another of my brothers to the Goldstone just before promotion to the old div 1 and they converted me to an Albion fan (sort of, as I was only 4!). Then went to my 1st match with my brother as a 14 year old at the Goldstone in 88/89 season, been hooked ever since!

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
From redhill and mainly spent my weekends in either croydon/london or brighton, as we all know croydon is a shit hole and brighton is a nice place to be. My first ever football match was a palace match, was good because it was my first ever match but the fans where shit and so was the ground so never thought i would support them.
First time i saw brighton was away at northampton (relative from brighton lived there) in 2000, lost 1-0 and just remember the brighton fans making more noise than the home support and the friendliness of everyone.
So i went from a young surrey man utd supporter to a full blown brighton fan in one fell swoop because of that day and never looked back.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
A PEDANT WRITES :
The FA Cup game against Chelsea was in Jan 1973.

Was it really? At the Goldstone, Chelsea played in yellow tops? I always thought it was around 71... I don't find it pedantic to remind me... thanks! So 38 years a Brighton fan it is then!

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
it was 1976,i was 10 and neighbour kid was a palarse fan.he had a pic of brighton team on his dartboard so i though fuxk you.il support brighton.i obviously didnt like him much.1st match was selhurst away fsc1st reply 1976.damn as ive only done 50 posts am i a jcl??

Jan 1976. I was of primary school age, and an older brother took me to the Goldstone. Luckily, I saw a good Peter Taylor team beat Colchester 6-0.

Was then hooked.

Soon after saw some evening games in front of mega crowds of 33,000 (in the Bamber era, many believed even more. Something anout cash takings and the taxman, allegedly. Like some other clubs too.). This included 2-0 over Palace in February where the bad losers through a couple of smoke bombs on. I remember abuse from the chicken-run towards a winger Peter Taylor.

Electric atmosphere in those days, hopefully soon to be repeated at the amazing Amex!!!

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I was lying in one Saturday - wondering how to fill the day.

My Mum said 'why don't you go down and watch the Albion' (at the time she said 'they need every supporter they
can get')

One afternoon in the Goldstone North Stand - and that was it. 15 years ago.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Funny way in for me. Born in Brighton, dad nor brothers that interested in Football. I settled on Arsenal when I was about 6 and it took until I was 14 when the albion were in the news for all the wrong reasons in 1996 that I 'became' a brighton fan.

Biggest regret is I never went to the Goldstone, first game as at the Priestfield :eek:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Was it really? At the Goldstone, Chelsea played in yellow tops? I always thought it was around 71... I don't find it pedantic to remind me... thanks! So 38 years a Brighton fan it is then!

The reason I remember that game so well is because I was arrested for fighting with the Chelsea fans in the North Stand.

We also played Chelsea at home in the FA Cup in 1967, but I guess you weren't thinking of that match as you were probably still in nappies then.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The reason I remember that game so well is because I was arrested for fighting with the Chelsea fans in the North Stand.

We also played Chelsea at home in the FA Cup in 1967, but I guess you weren't thinking of that match as you were probably still in nappies then.

And living in Tunbridge Wells, no it would have been the '73 game then, I was in the north west area, remember that much, and hiding my Chelsea scarf because I was surrounded by thousands of Brighton supporters, well felt like it when you're 3 foot nothing! However, the lads in my area let me through to the front as I couldn't see. Not a bad bunch! I'd have been 8 or 9 and living in East Preston by this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here