Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] What did you drink when you first hit the pub

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
81 ish Whitbread Best

8 pints on a Friday night and you were slightly mullered..just slightly.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
My first ever pint was in the Station Pub next to Hove station. Still remember to this day the guy buying the round asked what I wanted, "same as you" was my reply and my first taste of alcohol was a pint of lager around 1972.
Mid 70's my local was the Greyhound in Keymer where many a Thursday & Sunday was spent. £2 would get me 8 pints of Watneys Starlight. Just looked it up and it was only 3%. No wonder I drove home most nights!

That'd be The Cliftonville. Was it a promotion party 71-72 or a relegation-wake 72-73?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
1978 and it was a Light & Bitter (based on the fact that we thought we had more chance of getting served as it looked like a big boys drink)

1980-84 Gin & Bitter lemon (odd phase, think I lost my way a bit here)

1984-00 Lager

2000-15 Bitter (mainly Harvey's)

2015 onwards (confused, sometimes Amstel, sometimes Bitter, occassionally red wine and Guinness (not in the same glass))

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Amstel and Labatt were both being heavily promoed back then so usually whichever of those were cheapest

Not only would I not drink them now (well, Amstel in the Netherlands is fine) but neither of them are even sold here anymore.

Moved on to Carlsberg when those two started to be unavailable a lot; its brewed locally and is higher ABV than the UK version.

And now I'm too old to drink lager much at all as it screws up my stomach, so its mostly the new-ish local brewery who have a very nice session IPA that's on tap nearly everywhere nearby *and* sold in Lidl in bottles.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Watneys Red Barrel, underage in a grim backstreet pub in Dover

Worthington E and McEwans Tartan, Watney's Red Barrel was widely available but I avoided it like the plague, also rattling around when I started was Double Diamond, Christ, beer drinking was shit back then !

See you boys, and a fair few others, [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION] & [MENTION=13309]maltaseagull[/MENTION] down the seafront later

[tweet]1294970167991119879[/tweet]

Dunno about you guys but atm if I put that on I'd look like I swallowed the barrel whole, as well.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
See you boys, and a fair few others, [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION] & [MENTION=13309]maltaseagull[/MENTION] down the seafront later

[tweet]1294970167991119879[/tweet]

Dunno about you guys but atm if I put that on I'd look like I swallowed the barrel whole, as well.

Yep, my six pack looks more like a party seven!

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Guinness, my reasoning at the time was that no self respecting young lad would order it, therefore they would think i'm older than i looked! In hindsight it didn't often work, and when it did i ended up with a pint that i couldn't stand!
These days i love Guinness and real ale... god i feel old!

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Mine was a pint of Hunter's Cider in County Limerick bought when I was 16.
I remember the bar staff laughing amongst themselves a bit about me going in a pub alone and ordering a drink.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Guinness, my reasoning at the time was that no self respecting young lad would order it, therefore they would think i'm older than i looked! In hindsight it didn't often work, and when it did i ended up with a pint that i couldn't stand!
These days i love Guinness and real ale... god i feel old!

Yep, I was always Guinness. Or even John smiths (as anything other than Carling, fosters etc). I still occasionally crave Guinness, although I wouldn’t touch John Smiths now. But back then there was hardly any choice in the local pub. In fairness, I began drinking there around age 15 so couldn’t really complain.

:moo:

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_182651.jpg
    IMG_20200816_182651.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here