Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] What did you drink when you first hit the pub

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
My 1st pub was the Allen Arms back bar (??) on the Lewes Road Gyratory system in 1972 as I could get served, no questions asked (aged 16). My pint of choice then was brown & mild as you could get a lot more than a pint.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I used to go in the Bridge on a Tuesday ( DIrty Devils scooter club night) when I was 16, drank pints of Southdown ale to look like a man!

Couldnt drink in the DUke until I was 17 1/2 as the owners were family friends!

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
1983ish Toby Bitter/Greene King IPA (Downview Worthing)

- soon migrated to King and Barnes HSB (Thieves Kitchen)

Was the place that I had my first proper pint(Downview) before football.The three of us sitting in the corner before getting the train from west worthing to Hove to watch the Albion. We soon got brave and elevated our selfs out of that shithole and onto Chapmans and the Jolly Brewers. Always remember two old guys fighting over a game of pool and thinking this really is a dive.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I vaguely recall drinking Pernod and black in a phone booth outside Stairways nightclub in Birkenhead which ended in some sort of aniseed flavoured disaster At 16 but very much remember being bought a pint of mild by my Dad in the Bevendean Hospital Social club aged 14 (or thereabouts.) because he wanted me to field for Brighton hospitals CC when I was underage. Imagine that. Too young to play seniors cricket so get the boy a beer to convince oppo its legit.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I used to go in the Bridge on a Tuesday ( DIrty Devils scooter club night) when I was 16, drank pints of Southdown ale to look like a man!

Did it work?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Couldnt drink in the DUke until I was 17 1/2 as the owners were family friends!

Do you remember someone with Skrewdriver written on the back of their jacket being furious when somebody surreptitiously wrote Phillips above it?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Would have been about '89 when 16 years old. Was pretty adventurous and try anything on tap. Local ales to various shitty largers to the odd stout.

Sadly my other social circle it would be alcopops in 'spoons but that was more a year or so later than pubs.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Pint of mild in the Black Horse Canterbury 1966 1s 8d (about 8p) in today’s world. I can remember be out with my dad and grandad ( who worked for fremlins) and when I asked my grandad for a lager and lime he said “I am not paying for that you can have a light and lime and like it. As soon as the lime hits it, it kills the lager taste anyway “ He was right being about 25% cheaper I started doing that on my 6 quid a week.

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Pretty sure the first pub I went to was the Litten Tree in Worthing when I was about 14 with my mates from school. Not 100% but I think I used to drink Lowenbrau.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here