Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Trains shitshow - next STRIKE - October 8th (Spurs)??

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The train shitshow at Brighton c 10.45pm was awful. Zero information about trains going west to Worthing, one train to Hove at 23.09, no platform details until 5 mis before departure when next train for Worthing time popped up as 12.19 am. At 23.50 I was still stood on Hove platform.. No announcements, apologies or information.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The train shitshow at Brighton c 10.45pm was awful. Zero information about trains going west to Worthing, one train to Hove at 23.09, no platform details until 5 mis before departure when next train for Worthing time popped up as 12.19 am. At 23.50 I was still stood on Hove platform.. No announcements, apologies or information.

Errrrm, frustrating l'm sure, but why on earth not walk down Queen's Road and jump on a bus? no end of routes heading west along the Western Road, even at that time of night on a Saturday.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Errrrm, frustrating l'm sure, but why on earth not walk down Queen's Road and jump on a bus? no end of routes heading west along the Western Road, even at that time of night on a Saturday.

Even buses are suffering. After one of the Women's Euros games I went to, I got back to Brighton station OK but then had a half hour wait for a train to Shoreham. I knew there was a Stagecoach 700 due from Churchill Sq in 10 mins so I legged it down Queens Road to find out it was cancelled and the next one was due in 20 minutes. So I started walking ... and checking bus times ... then the next bus also got cancelled. I eventually walked to bus stop at King Alfred and waiting another 15 minutes. Speaking to the people already at the bus stop they hadn't seen a 700 in almost an hour!

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Going to continue with my ‘park and walk’ strategy…….good exercise, and very little variation in the time it takes to travel - was home by 6pm yesterday. Even the walk (in the ‘35 min’ spot yesterday but I use another that’s about an hour each way sometimes) wasn’t too bad in the breeze.

That would suit me very well. Might I enquire where the 35 minute spot is or is that, understandably, your secret...?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Even buses are suffering. After one of the Women's Euros games I went to, I got back to Brighton station OK but then had a half hour wait for a train to Shoreham. I knew there was a Stagecoach 700 due from Churchill Sq in 10 mins so I legged it down Queens Road to find out it was cancelled and the next one was due in 20 minutes. So I started walking ... and checking bus times ... then the next bus also got cancelled. I eventually walked to bus stop at King Alfred and waiting another 15 minutes. Speaking to the people already at the bus stop they hadn't seen a 700 in almost an hour!

I stand corrected! :wrong:

I can well understand it in the case of the 700, which is operated out of Worthing garage. as l know Stagecoach have been chronically short of drivers since the pandemic.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I stand corrected! :wrong:

I can well understand it in the case of the 700, which is operated out of Worthing garage. as l know Stagecoach have been chronically short of drivers since the pandemic.

Indeed ... I was going to catch 700 to Brighton for the game yesterday. Fortunately I checked the 'live' timetable and found two buses cancelled at the time I was looking to leave ... meaning the next bus would be rammed.

So I caught the 12:06 train from Shoreham ... nice and early and yet still rammed! People couldn't get on at Portslade!!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Bizarrely heading east yesterday after the game I had possibly the best getaway ever - left at the full time whistle, power walked out the west upper and down to the station, snaked round in a queue but got straight onto the platform and was away on the 1708 Ore service which was a minute late. I don't expect that to ever happen again, but that was a right result with the afternoon sun and heat as it was.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wouldn't you be better off sauntering up to Moulsecoomb and getting on a 49 to take you home?

If I was going home, yes. But going into town for a quick drink and then a lift home from a mate who parks at Brighton station? Not so much.

I have totally given up on the Coastway West part of the train journey - it's horrendous.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But it's ok for him to criticise someone else's post!! Funny how supporters of Brexit are now all getting tetchy whenever it's mentioned.

He sounded bored rather than tetchy….you’re just looking for an argument with people who came on to this thread to find out what happened on the trains yesterday.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If I was going home, yes. But going into town for a quick drink and then a lift home from a mate who parks at Brighton station? Not so much.

I have totally given up on the Coastway West part of the train journey - it's horrendous.

Will always remember a journey l made back in our Championship days, to a home game against Brentford. I had been staying at my brother-in law's in Poole, caught an early morning train from Poole to Southampton, (which was fine), but from Southampton caught the West Coastway towards Brighton.

Thence the problems started, there seemed to be a station stop every few hundred yards! & the journey was taking forever, train progressively getting later & later.

By the time we ground into Portslade l jumped ship for a 49, reached the Amex just prior to kick off. All a waste of time anyway, we lost 3-1. :wozza:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Trying to think of a 'park and cycle' strategy.

Does anyone know of the sweet spot to park that's:-

Coming from the West.
Easy access to and from A27
Outside of the restriction zone.
Legitimate place/road (not 'well despite the sign I've never been clamped)
Close to the cycle path, that takes you to The Bridge car park

I basically want to park at Mithras House!

If you have mountain/gravel bike you could park at the very end of Ditchling Road (before it crosses A27) and ride down through Stanmer Park.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you have mountain/gravel bike you could park at the very end of Ditchling Road (before it crosses A27) and ride down through Stanmer Park.

How very dare you.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lucky you ! The P&R buses were a shambles yesterday. Took 20 minutes for a single one to turn up at Mill Road yesterday when normally theres 3 or 4 queued at 1pm. Coming back was worse - standing in the heat for an hour. And even when you did manage to get on all the windows were open so the A/C couldn't do it's job. Thinking about Seagulls Travel next season.

A couple of years back we discovered by chance that Mill Road works better later on, and any eastbound A27 jams have cleared.

(But we can walk to the top of Mill Road, so don't need the parking).

Hopping on half empty buses 50 minutes before games, always in our seats by KO time.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I got to Brighton Station at 1:38 and walked straight through on to the 1:41. The back end of the train was rammed but I walked to the front carriage and it was half empty. Having selected my seat I had a very pleasant trip to Falmer. The only irritant was that it stopped at London Road and Moulsecoomb where some oiks got on to disturb my sleep.

Coming home I hung around the concourse and shop for half an hour to let the worst of the queue to die down before wandering to the station. I had to queue for a while but when the train came in I was waiting at the very end of the platform and got on the last carriage, selecting a superbly air conditioned seat. The trains are not a problem if you use them correctly!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here