Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Trains shitshow - next STRIKE - October 8th (Spurs)??

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Got to Brighton station around 1.40, took over half an hour before a train FINALLY pulled in. So we all get loaded on, and straight away it all kicks off in our carriage between a bunch of boozed-up gobby divs from both sides being all MACHO towards each other. Plod turn up, and haul off some tragic degenerate drunken feral northern ratboy - and in the process, the train door gets broken. So we all have to unload that carriage and trot up to the front carriages to join the sardines packed in up there. So that was fun.

I leave on the final whistle, and hobble my way down to the station (don't ask). Then queue. And queue. And queue. Its 5.30 before I'm on a train back to town, after sweating my arse off for the thick end of 40 minutes.

I love it once I'm at the game, but my tolerance levels on the logistics are wearing mighty thin with this shite. Perhaps the suffocating heat today has made me more irritable, but in hindsight, I wish I hadn't left my garden, and just picked it up on a moody stream instead with a few cold ones.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
My mate gave up his ST next to us for this very reason. Rather spend the time with his young daughter which is fair enough.

Tbf every game I forget about the trudge to get home until I'm walking down to Falmer station and remember "Oh yeah - this again"

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Got to Brighton station around 1.40, took over half an hour before a train FINALLY pulled in. So we all get loaded on, and straight away it all kicks off in our carriage between a bunch of boozed-up gobby divs from both sides being all MACHO towards each other. Plod turn up, and haul off some tragic degenerate drunken feral northern ratboy - and in the process, the train door gets broken. So we all have to unload that carriage and trot up to the front carriages to join the sardines packed in up there. So that was fun.

I leave on the final whistle, and hobble my way down to the station (don't ask). Then queue. And queue. And queue. Its 5.30 before I'm on a train back to town, after sweating my arse off for the thick end of 40 minutes.

I love it once I'm at the game, but my tolerance levels on the logistics are wearing mighty thin with this shite. Perhaps the suffocating heat today has made me more irritable, but in hindsight, I wish I hadn't left my garden, and just picked it up on a moody stream instead with a few cold ones.

And it's only the first game of the season!

Fair point that trains are the most stressful way of getting there. Maybe wander down the hill and get a bus, normally it works better

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bus home for us today. Jumped straight onto a 29 and back at St Peter's Church in 20 or so mins. Likely to be my default this season.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Where are you trying to get back to ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I love trains on the continent, but also some UK lines eg the excellent direct Euston to Liverpool/Manchester service.

On paper when the Amex was being built trains from say Littlehampton to Falmer made great sense, an amazing way of shifting huge numbers, avoiding congested roads and helping the planet.

In reality, Network Rail and Southern combined are incompetent and very expensive bureaucracies running a shitshow.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So instead of standing in a queue for 40 minutes, why not have a couple of drinks on the concourse?

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Well if it makes anyone feel any better a large proportion of our privatised rail companies are owned by European operators. They can charge the highest fares in Europe (world?) to operate a barely adequate service in the UK so that they can maximise profits to subsidise the efficient state owned rail services in France/Netherlands, etc. Thank you the Conservative Party, champions of free enterprise and Brexit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Where are you trying to get back to ?

Only Portslade

I generally mince down to Churchill Sq to pick up a 700 along the coast, as I've had quite enough of queuing for the sardine shitshow by then. Today I sloped into the Prince of Wales for a good old laugh at Man U before hopping on a 700 just after half time.

But the SASTA matchday experience is utterly sapping my will to live.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
]On paper when the Amex was being built trains from say Littlehampton to Falmer made great sense, an amazing way of shifting huge numbers, avoiding congested roads and helping the planet.

There were times a few years back, for evening games, where I caught a Worthing - Brighton train that, presumably, started in Littlehampton that then turned into a service to Lewes (or somewhere similar) including a stop at Falmer.

So, although it wasn't a timetabled Littlehampton - Falmer service, it was possible to remain on one train for the entire journey.

I think those ITK on here of all train type things may have suggested that sort of movement across all the Brighton lines are quite difficult logistically. But, as you say, it would make a lot of sense for this to be properly accommodated if possible as it would keep a shit load of people out of the Brighton Station scrum.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So instead of standing in a queue for 40 minutes, why not have a couple of drinks on the concourse?

Because

(a) being in the WSU concourse was like standing in a greenhouse
(b) paying £6 for a pint of warm flat piss in a cardboard cup is not my idea of a good time. and
(c) I just want to get home. Back to my garden.

I know I'm coming across as a miserable b@stard, Well, I AM a miserable b@stard, I'm in my 50s and I'm turning into my dad. He jacked it in 2 years ago, and despite this bloody wonderful team, the best we've ever seen, getting to and from the Amex is turning into a serious chore. I guess I may have to rethink my travel strategy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Southern didn't run their full matchday service today (there were no Brighton to Lewes shuttles), which meant there were bigger gaps between trains than there should have been. Personally coming from Haywards Heath I've started going in via. Lewes as it seems to be an easier connection and you get much less of the macho dick-swinging between fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here