Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Trains shitshow - next STRIKE - October 8th (Spurs)??

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't attend matches these days, but when I did, I coped with the after games experience by:

1) Going to the furthest south end of village way and getting on a 25 or 23 at the final whistle. Often I was back to Queen's Park in the hour.

2) Exercise- take a 40 minute walk back into town if the weather isn't too pants then connect there (or to a place you have parked your car). If your home is within an hours walk, then just walk.

I know some of this is redundant to folk outwith those areas or not in great health though. This is the one thing the Goldstone, and even Withdean, had over the AMEX.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Got to Brighton station around 1.40, took over half an hour before a train FINALLY pulled in. So we all get loaded on, and straight away it all kicks off in our carriage between a bunch of boozed-up gobby divs from both sides being all MACHO towards each other. Plod turn up, and haul off some tragic degenerate drunken feral northern ratboy - and in the process, the train door gets broken. So we all have to unload that carriage and trot up to the front carriages to join the sardines packed in up there. So that was fun.

I leave on the final whistle, and hobble my way down to the station (don't ask). Then queue. And queue. And queue. Its 5.30 before I'm on a train back to town, after sweating my arse off for the thick end of 40 minutes.

I love it once I'm at the game, but my tolerance levels on the logistics are wearing mighty thin with this shite. Perhaps the suffocating heat today has made me more irritable, but in hindsight, I wish I hadn't left my garden, and just picked it up on a moody stream instead with a few cold ones.

Think your self lucky......just got home after a shit show on the motorways.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I don't attend matches these days, but when I did, I coped with the after games experience by:

1) Going to the furthest south end of village way and getting on a 25 or 23 at the final whistle. Often I was back to Queen's Park in the hour.

2) Exercise- take a 40 minute walk back into town if the weather isn't too pants then connect there (or to a place you have parked your car). If your home is within an hours walk, then just walk.

I know some of this is redundant to folk outwith those areas or not in great health though. This is the one thing the Goldstone, and even Withdean, had over the AMEX.

40 minutes walk into town? You must be a quick walker. I tried it once. 40 minutes only got me as far as the viaduct over the lewes road.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Just a point of order - you're absolutey right, except about one thing. All the things you so accurately pointed out as having gone wrong with the rail netwoek all happened before Brexit. Over-egged the pudding a bit there..................oh well, sure you're not alone!

Errr... I don't think I implied that the rail privatisation happened as a result of Brexit. But one thing is for sure, post Brexit the European train operators who run our railways are not thinking sympathetically about Britain (understandably) but see us as an easy to exploit cash-cow. Thank you Nigel Fromage.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Because

(a) being in the WSU concourse was like standing in a greenhouse
(b) paying £6 for a pint of warm flat piss in a cardboard cup is not my idea of a good time. and
(c) I just want to get home. Back to my garden.

I know I'm coming across as a miserable b@stard, Well, I AM a miserable b@stard, I'm in my 50s and I'm turning into my dad. He jacked it in 2 years ago, and despite this bloody wonderful team, the best we've ever seen, getting to and from the Amex is turning into a serious chore. I guess I may have to rethink my travel strategy.
In your 60’s shirley

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah this does sound sensible. The thing is though, a matchday is a social occasion. So when I see several mates there who are spread far and wide, rightly or wrongly, that does involve beer. For example today I met a mate at 12 in the Fitz Regent (formally the Pav Tav) for a beer and a bite to eat in front of the lunchtime game. Not seen him since the end of last season. We left around 1.30 for the station, and then it all unfolded and descended to shite as per the start of the thread.

I'm lucky in that my lad is now well into his 20s, so he has his own matchday routine that sometimes involves mixing in with mine, or other times he does his own thing with his mates. But I totally get if you have a youngster in tow that pre-match pubbing and/or concourse afterwards just isn't a great option. I've gotta find another way though. SASTA has never been great but its just getting worse and worse now.

49 bus is your friend here. Portslade all the way to just before the Bridge car park. Seeing as how they're every 10-15 minutes you could get one to the Bevvy, have a couple of pints there, then catch a later one to complete your journey. You'd even get a seat. But don't go telling everybody... :wink:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I'd wager that...

1. Your seat is in the East.
2. You may have stayed to the final whistle, but were probably swiftly on your toes at that point and didn't clap the team off etc.

...all of which is fair enough, if correct, of course.

I'm not sure that from my position in the WSU I'd have the same success as you do.*

(* - if you now say you are in the WSU I'm going to look pretty silly indeed)
I’m in the east and I clapped the team off - but yes, I probably have quite an advantage over you guys in the west in being able to get to the bus queue much quicker. I still think the service has improved in recent years ( at least for me) - they load 2 buses at a time and I get back to my car quicker than previously.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Attendance of of over 31,500 today. The higher the attendance is the more people there are catching the trains. Back before premier league days when we had crowds of about 24,000 the train weren’t that bad really. Now we get over 30,000 every match the crowds are just that much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But let's be honest the actual attendance was at least 10% below that due to the stupid hassle of sharing season tickets when so many people are on holiday...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
40 minutes walk into town? You must be a quick walker. I tried it once. 40 minutes only got me as far as the viaduct over the lewes road.

Yeah, you're right. It's an hour. Shows how long since I've been to the AMEX. I think my last match was 2019.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
But let's be honest the actual attendance was at least 10% below that due to the stupid hassle of sharing season tickets when so many people are on holiday...

IMHO The club are an embarrassment in this respect. The travel is even worse.

Both big reasons as to why I don't bother more than 4-5 times a season . . . And thats not a cherry picking decision, just a game I think that fits into an 'enjoyable day out' slot.

The travel is dire
The clubs approach to ticket sharing is on a similar par

EDit, we walked after the WHU game back to the ALbert, under an hour, although not in any rush, and fully refreshed.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Pathetic. Any reason for this ?

No idea, but judging by the number of other trains around being pulled because of a “lack of train crew” I have a hunch.

Ordinarily there would be four trains calling at Falmer heading for Brighton in the half hour between 17.00 and 17.30, take away the shuttles and that becomes two. Plus these were trains originating from Ore / Seaford so already had punters on them, whereas hardly anyone would board at Lewes for a shuttle. And one of those trains today had 4 coaches instead of 8 for absolutely no good reason.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
IMHO The club are an embarrassment in this respect. The travel is even worse.

Both big reasons as to why I don't bother more than 4-5 times a season . . . And thats not a cherry picking decision, just a game I think that fits into an 'enjoyable day out' slot.

The travel is dire
The clubs approach to ticket sharing is on a similar par

EDit, we walked after the WHU game back to the ALbert, under an hour, although not in any rush, and fully refreshed.
When I go I travel from London so kind of expect the day to be taken up by football, If I lived in Brighton I would be pissed if I wasn’t back home within 45 minutes of the final whistle.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The 1708ish from Falmer to Hastings was a massive 8 car train, but they wouldn't let anybody get on the last 4 carriages, just the :tosser: guard standing with an open door probably praying for sun next week when they have a few more days off

I I

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Train to the AMEX is low on my list of transport methods.

Mill Hill park and ride was excellent today. Home in Southwick by 17:20 to see United get demolished!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Absolute shit show. Will let them have the weather as the excuse today but there will only be something else in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

But the underlying point still stands: there’s more people than ever trying to get trains to and from the Amex for matches.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Ladies and gentlemen, one for the supporters recently elected to face off Barber. Bet they don’t but it if they do I dare say it will be some lame, limp wrist excuse. Before the negative responses see my way. This stadia was built on the philosophy of a good mode of public transport. It’s absolutely shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here