Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Trains shitshow - next STRIKE - October 8th (Spurs)??

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The sad fact is that the road network surrounding the AMEX is far superior to the rail network and there is ZERO chance of the rail network being improved. With increasing electric cars the club should take every opportunity to snuffle as much additional car parking at the expanding universities as it can. Maybe look for further park and ride sites as well? Trains will never get better than they are I am afraid and it’s totally out of the clubs control to improve.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I blame PB for the weather.
Oh and about the trains....best service you get per se, before you cough up and we have for a whole season so no incentive for the lazy overpaid train bods to improve. Wrong place for stadium over-reliant on train transport.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I blame PB for the weather.
Oh and about the trains....best service you get per se, before you cough up and we have for a whole season so no incentive for the lazy overpaid train bods to improve. Wrong place for stadium over-reliant on train transport.

You what?

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Errr... I don't think I implied that the rail privatisation happened as a result of Brexit. But one thing is for sure, post Brexit the European train operators who run our railways are not thinking sympathetically about Britain (understandably) but see us as an easy to exploit cash-cow. Thank you Nigel Fromage.

Can you please take this Brexit shit to the bear pit where it belongs! I was hoping that years down the line and a new season people would finally get over polluting every thread on here with this boring over argued bollocks. I am sure I cannot be the only one here that is just totally bored and tired of it now to the extent I don't even come on here as much as I used to!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
49 bus is your friend here. Portslade all the way to just before the Bridge car park. Seeing as how they're every 10-15 minutes you could get one to the Bevvy, have a couple of pints there, then catch a later one to complete your journey. You'd even get a seat. But don't go telling everybody... :wink:

Thats not actually an overly bad shout sir. Journey time is around an hour (which considering I can WALK it in 2 hours) is still a bit of an arse. But I am a deeply unpleasant and unsociable beast, so an hour there and an hour back in personal solitude with my bluetooth headphones and a few pods sounds far less stressful than being squashed up with a bunch of feral shirtless tattoo'd coked-up morons on a SASTA cattlewagon.

Duly noted.This may well be trialled for the Dirty Leeds game. Any chance of avoiding the existential horror of being cooped up in a SASTA carriage with their particular brand of unique mono-browed YARKSHIRE ratboys is to be gratefully grasped.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can you please take this Brexit shit to the bear pit where it belongs! I was hoping that years down the line and a new season people would finally get over polluting every thread on here with this boring over argued bollocks. I am sure I cannot be the only one here that is just totally bored and tired of it now to the extent I don't even come on here as much as I used to!

362 posts in 12 years!!! Can't believe you ever came on here regularly anyway. As for Brexit, it is a reality that affects a hell of a lot of things. Just because you're bored doesn't mean everyone else dismisses it so easily.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
362 posts in 12 years!!! Can't believe you ever came on here regularly anyway. As for Brexit, it is a reality that affects a hell of a lot of things. Just because you're bored doesn't mean everyone else dismisses it so easily.

It’s fine to just read NSC. There is no requirement to post and he doesn’t need his contributions validated by anyone else.

el punal

Do Southern actually plan ahead, as in being a bit proactive, look at various future events that are taking place in their region, identify guaranteed increase in passenger numbers, consider putting on extra carriages to cope with demand? The answer, it seems, is one big, fat, f***ing NO!

I caught the 10.28 Southampton to Brighton sardine tin yesterday. It was full by the time it got to Chichester, after Worthing it was so rammed no one could board. Probably everyone could have predicted that there would be huge numbers wishing to travel to Brighton on a baking hot weekend with football fans, day trippers, hen parties, weirdos and so on. But not Southern. Is it at all possible for them to cope with the predicted demand or do they just sit in their ivory towers doing sweet FA?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not sure what was happening with the trains at Brighton around 7pm but it was carnage in there. Hundreds of people in motionless queues.

Me and Dad ended up trundling to Churchill Square and jumping on the 700 back to Worthing.

Probably the day trip to the seaside mob trying to get back to London.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Errr... I don't think I implied that the rail privatisation happened as a result of Brexit. But one thing is for sure, post Brexit the European train operators who run our railways are not thinking sympathetically about Britain (understandably) but see us as an easy to exploit cash-cow. Thank you Nigel Fromage.
They always did - that's why they came in in the first place!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm a bit baffled by the people blaming the club for problems with the trains - Barber doesn't run the rail service!

I'm sure the club is doing its best to get SASTA working effectively but, having had more than a decade of commuting to London, I wouldn't be hopeful of any response.

I believe that SASTA is unique among train operating companies in that they get subsidies no matter how they perform - so there's no incentive to be co-operative. It's annoying, but it's scarcely the club's fault.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm a bit baffled by the people blaming the club for problems with the trains - Barber doesn't run the rail service!

One of the few things they can do is encourage people to arrive early / leave late by drinking/eating. Thus stagger journeys . They do this far more than other clubs who prefer to get rid of fans post match.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bus home for us today. Jumped straight onto a 29 and back at St Peter's Church in 20 or so mins. Likely to be my default this season.

Lucky you ! The P&R buses were a shambles yesterday. Took 20 minutes for a single one to turn up at Mill Road yesterday when normally theres 3 or 4 queued at 1pm. Coming back was worse - standing in the heat for an hour. And even when you did manage to get on all the windows were open so the A/C couldn't do it's job. Thinking about Seagulls Travel next season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't want to drive to every home game, so went by train for the first time in years.

Was ok.
We stayed back in the NS till 6.
I was really surprised by the length of the queue, if there wasn't a shuttle service then at least that's explained.

Signage in Btn station was awful tourists for London in the West Coast queue, etc.
Train cancelled.
Then onto Hove change, Angmering change again.

Yet for last season we were leaving so early in order to get parked at Mill Road I reckon yesterday took less than an hour longer, which was spent in the NS and seemingly on a rubbish train day.

I'll persist a little longer with the train.

Oh and didn't [MENTION=33581]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] get a barrel load of shite, for an identical thread, a few weeks ago?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Because

(a) being in the WSU concourse was like standing in a greenhouse
(b) paying £6 for a pint of warm flat piss in a cardboard cup is not my idea of a good time. and
(c) I just want to get home. Back to my garden.

I know I'm coming across as a miserable b@stard, Well, I AM a miserable b@stard, I'm in my 50s and I'm turning into my dad. He jacked it in 2 years ago, and despite this bloody wonderful team, the best we've ever seen, getting to and from the Amex is turning into a serious chore. I guess I may have to rethink my travel strategy.

£6 for a pint - they're having a giraffe! (£3.80 in my local for Harveys)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Shocking service yesterday

Was also on that train . Expected the shambles so left pub at 1:35 with a view to getting to ground at 2 . Didn’t arrive until 2:30

Getting back after also crap

Football is great but my god is it an absolute ball ache to get there

Absolute shambles southern

No one accountable

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010

Thanks Drew, interesting that you associate post count to how often someone visits a forum. I am totally happy for Bozza to post my visitng stats if he has them. I would guess I have come on here most days in that 12 years, I am just more of a listener than a talker. I massivley value the opinons and comments on here of a lot of people as they are incredibly knowledgable and I enjoy reading what they post a lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here