Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Trains shitshow - next STRIKE - October 8th (Spurs)??

Jul 7, 2003
49 bus is your friend here. Portslade all the way to just before the Bridge car park. Seeing as how they're every 10-15 minutes you could get one to the Bevvy, have a couple of pints there, then catch a later one to complete your journey. You'd even get a seat. But don't go telling everybody... :wink:

That used to work but has now become too well known. Also, it is a very slow journey back into the city centre.

Not sure what was happening with the trains at Brighton around 7pm but it was carnage in there. Hundreds of people in motionless queues.

Me and Dad ended up trundling to Churchill Square and jumping on the 700 back to Worthing.

There had been a couple of cancellations to northbound trains so they blocked the gates to stop the platforms filling up. I went to get the 19:30 Southampton train and they had just shut the side gate. After explaining that I wanted to head west, eventually someone agreed to reopen the gate.

That train had no working toilets so ended up being stopped at Worthing for a few minutes for a toilet stop.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
QED.
Anyway, how was your journey yesterday ?

Got covid so didn't go.

That said, train services have been deteriorating. Home games don't worry me too much as we'll just have a few drinks but last season pretty much every away trip north of London was affected by timetable changes or engineering works. Last week our train to Manchester was cancelled and I suspect that will be the theme for the rest of the season.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Got covid so didn't go.

That said, train services have been deteriorating. Home games don't worry me too much as we'll just have a few drinks but last season pretty much every away trip north of London was affected by timetable changes or engineering works. Last week our train to Manchester was cancelled and I suspect that will be the theme for the rest of the season.

I wish you a speedy recovery from Covid :thumbsup:

My Albion experience went up 100% when I cut out the trains

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Can you please take this Brexit shit to the bear pit where it belongs! I was hoping that years down the line and a new season people would finally get over polluting every thread on here with this boring over argued bollocks. I am sure I cannot be the only one here that is just totally bored and tired of it now to the extent I don't even come on here as much as I used to!

I detect someone who obviously voted Leave and doesn't like being reminded that he was duped. Brexit is entirely relevant to the discussion about our rubbish train service to Falmer as our rail companies are owned by EU based operators and running any more than a bare minimum service is not high on their priority list. The profits they make are invested in EU rail improvement.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My Albion experience went up 100% when I cut out the trains

200% when stop being STH! ST culture is underlying issue I found. Trapped in cycle of wasting money, guilt, duty and stress…all that b4 match starts!. Pick and choose games now. Better Life/football balance. PL is too much hassle. And pay through nose for stress of. Select few is way forward. Make event of like tourists do. Or watch on TV. Like diehards do!

200% when stop being STH! ST culture is underlying issue I found. Trapped in cycle of wasting money, guilt, duty and stress…all that b4 match starts!. Pick and choose games now. Better Life/football balance. PL is too much hassle. And pay through nose for stress of. Select few is way forward. Make event of like tourists do. Or watch on TV. Like diehards do!

Ha you definitely have a point there is a rat race side to it, like the vast majority I'll scuttle on for the time being. The break that Covid accidently gave out I found useful in having a rest and refreshing the appetite

el punal

That used to work but has now become too well known. Also, it is a very slow journey back into the city centre.

There had been a couple of cancellations to northbound trains so they blocked the gates to stop the platforms filling up. I went to get the 19:30 Southampton train and they had just shut the side gate. After explaining that I wanted to head west, eventually someone agreed to reopen the gate.

That train had no working toilets so ended up being stopped at Worthing for a few minutes for a toilet stop.

And guess what? The toilet doors at Worthing station were padlocked shut! Talk about taking the piss. :shootself

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
When i travel up the 3hrs 51mins to Brighton is a breeze,it`s the waiting for and hassle of the train to Falmer,and the return to Brighton that is so bloody stressful .

When you think about it,it is a remarkable achievement by the Train companies involved to totally screw up a simple journey like Brighton to Falmer with such precision and consistency.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
When i travel up the 3hrs 51mins to Brighton is a breeze,it`s the waiting for and hassle of the train to Falmer,and the return to Brighton that is so bloody stressful .

When you think about it,it is a remarkable achievement by the Train companies involved to totally screw up a simple journey like Brighton to Falmer with such precision and consistency.

And it's by far the easiest bit. You get as many trains as possible to run with as many carriages as possible between Brighton & Lewes from 12.30 to 2.30 and from 16.30 to 18.30. There's ample turnaround capability at both ends, easy peasy.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Trying to think of a 'park and cycle' strategy.

Does anyone know of the sweet spot to park that's:-

Coming from the West.
Easy access to and from A27
Outside of the restriction zone.
Legitimate place/road (not 'well despite the sign I've never been clamped)
Close to the cycle path, that takes you to The Bridge car park

I basically want to park at Mithras House!

Is the Mithras House P&R ever going to come back?
that was always my park and walk combination

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Have you driven past it recently?

No.
I normally squeeze in at Wild Park (after A12/M25/M23/A23/A27), so it's not on my route.
Are you able to answer the question?

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
And it's by far the easiest bit. You get as many trains as possible to run with as many carriages as possible between Brighton & Lewes from 12.30 to 2.30 and from 16.30 to 18.30. There's ample turnaround capability at both ends, easy peasy.

I know,crazy isn`t it !

I wonder what the group of Japanese lads thought of our wonderful trains ???:shootself

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Well if it makes anyone feel any better a large proportion of our privatised rail companies are owned by European operators. They can charge the highest fares in Europe (world?) to operate a barely adequate service in the UK so that they can maximise profits to subsidise the efficient state owned rail services in France/Netherlands, etc. Thank you the Conservative Party, champions of free enterprise and Brexit.

Trains have always been shit, regardless of who is trying to run the country

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here