Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
Almost certain he's used two cameras, with the left hand side being a still image whilst the balls are changed, cutting to a live image for when Derren is ready to reveal his 'prediction'.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Almost certain he's used two cameras, with the left hand side being a still image whilst the balls are changed, cutting to a live image for when Derren is ready to reveal his 'prediction'.

Not quite.

Pre-recorded footage on the left mixed with life footage on the right.

When he said two cameras, more like a single camera used twice.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Job done for Derren, though, isn't it? Everyone talking about it, everyone trying to work out how he did it and most probably everyone watching'(or recording) his show on friday.

Personaaly I think he's brilliant. I, like 99.9% of peolpe, know it's not real. He does, after all, say so himself at the beginning of all of his programmes. He's a master at what he does and is highly entertaing. Hooray for Derren!

Jul 7, 2003
no it wasnt the extra stong mints either, they were smaller, greeny blue ones or white ones, i remember them looking on google images for them as we speak!

and they were slightly concave

There were such things as Trebor Mints around back in the day. The other things around in the 80's were Cool Mints which had a thinner layer of mint where the polo hole would be. Of course, best 80's mint product was Pacers - a sort of minty opal fruit.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
There were such things as Trebor Mints around back in the day. The other things around in the 80's were Cool Mints which had a thinner layer of mint where the polo hole would be. Of course, best 80's mint product was Pacers - a sort of minty opal fruit.

Yes Pacers - Opal Fruit/Starburst shape in a mint.

The mints were definately just called Trebor Mints, and as Fred says, they were concave - basically the same design as a Refresher.

The Cool Mint equivalent today are those Wrigleys Extra sweets - fart-tastic.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
After watching this on the 4OD site, it certainly seems that there is a very slight freeze and 'flick' to the background just before he mentions the last number, which does look as some switch in the pictures has been made.

However, if it is just a camera trick, really, what's the point? I'm a big fan of Derren Brown but anybody could do that. I'm starting to suspect tonight's show will give some astonishing explanation which may, in itself, be a load of rubbish and more 'mis-direction'.

(A bit like the old Russian Roulette trick, where I've always thought he never actually put a bullet in the gun - as a magician he'd have no trouble doing that - and when he appeared to fire at the sandbags, it was just a small explosive charge they set off).

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm starting to suspect tonight's show will give some astonishing explanation which may, in itself, be a load of rubbish and more 'mis-direction'.

Of course!

He doesn't haven't any special powers or anything, you know! He just gives the illusion that he does. That's his job - and he's v good at it, in fairness.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
What was the country that woman said at the beginning

AFRICA?
He knew all right that she was a wrong un'

That was in the "Events" show after the lottery bit right ? I watched that - did anyone else notice the "subliminal" messages being flashed onto the stage floor & walls every now and again during that show - I thought that was going to be uncovered at the end as part of it, but wasn't unless it was to do with the all audience forgetting what had happened during the show.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've personally seen every Derren Brown live show to date, plus own every DVD/book by Derren, so it's fair to say I'm a fan. I think he is a genius - but I did actually theorise how this one was done. It's not a new trick, and whilst I'm no expert on magic, I have always had a keen interest in seeing it performed since childhood.

The trick itself is very well executed apart from the one error with the ball being out of place, which I'm sure Derren will be furious about.

His best show remains Evening of Wonders. The infamous "monkey suit" trick remains one of the finest pieces of stage magic ever seen.

YouTube - Derren Brown: Evening of Wonders | Derren Bears All | Channel 4

Best executed trick ever?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I wonder how Paul Daniels would have performed this trick a few years ago? Did they have the same 'camera trick' facilities back then?

I imagine he would have used a rigidly fixed camera without the simulated camera shake.

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
I have been convinced for a while now that the Wednesday evening Lottery show is pre recorded , forget Alan's time check easily synchronized. There have been occasions where a significant sporting event has taken place prior to the lottery broadcast but, never a mention of it during the programme.

Browns show is set to be on 2 minutes or so prior to the draw I reckon CH4 can intercept the pre recording probably done during the news , from Channel 4

It's Darren, not Derren, fool.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Another theory is "Pepper's Ghost".

derrendiagram.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here