This Derren Brown Lottery prediction

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
*cough* fixtures, see my post #12:thumbsup:

I wasn't expecting to have been the first to mention it, but the fact it's run to 5 pages suggested it needed re-emphasising.

Very much like that yank sitting in a sealed bubble by Tower Bridge for weeks. That wasn't a feat of human endurance, because the guy is an illusionist, and therein lies the clue.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Having watched the video posted by Bozza (thank you) Could not work out why he started the broadcast out in a storage area and then walk into the auditorium, not sure if relevant but thought it was unnecessary. therefore must be a reason.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I wasn't expecting to have been the first to mention it, but the fact it's run to 5 pages suggested it needed re-emphasising.

Very much like that yank sitting in a sealed bubble by Tower Bridge for weeks. That wasn't a feat of human endurance, because the guy is an illusionist, and therein lies the clue.

Fair point. :thumbsup:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So he's a genius as an illusionist. You may not think that, genius is opinion anyway,

But it's just an old trick done with a different set-up, as most tricks are. As has already been mentioned, Paul Daniels was going to do this trick years back, but Camelot / BBC didn't let him.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Why did he point out at the start that he only has 2 cameras.... He then shows you them both, and the second camera at the back isnt even used after that... so what's its purpose.... something to do with that second camera?

The shot from the second camera was used to go between the opening, pre-recorded part of the show (moving camera) and the live bit (fixed camera).

The live bit was split-screen, with the person changing the balls hidden on the left.

There's a minor mistake in it, as the ball on the left is still moving when the camera switches to them. D'oh!

ehmzvp.gif

Oh, and if you think he's actually going to show how he did it on Friday, you're a fool. He never does.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can't view Youtube at work, and only have a PC and not my trusty Mac, but I've just read the below from someone who watched the Youtube footage carefully...

I'm talking about the bit where the stand is on the left hand side of the screen and he is on the right writing down and reading out the numbers just after they have been announced. When he says 23, the left most ball in the stand jumps up slightly. You have to look closely but it definitely happens, and that ball is also slightly raised when he comes to turn the stand around.

Just viewed it in HQ directly on the YouTube page quoted earlier.

Used MacOSX Leopard built-in screen zoom facility: go to about 1min.57 start play then zoom right in (if you have Leopard, ctrl- mouse scroll wheel, move the mouse to locate the area you want). To confirm left most ball movement, look at the bottom of the ball as well as the top. The dark gaps either side grow slightly. The top is higher than the rest of the row. The 'movement' is when the wipe or blend from pre-recorded, maybe static left half is made. (initially static left half with live right half, to live full frame). Hand-on-mouth is during studio silence part, with BBC audio only (imagine the sound of a dropped ping-pong ball bouncing or squeaky trainer shoe).

The writing on the card maybe adds some time for the (hidden) placing of the balls, but it is also to give viewers a quick comparison to verify that the numbers are the same. Everything in the background cables etc is strictly left undisturbed (Maybe even glued to floor). Lighting is also key. It has to be identical for the two halves and no moving shadows from DB must encroach on to the left. The camera wobble is rigorously programmed either on a kinetic camera base or electronically. Not sure which is easier.

He would have done this several times but only to rehearse every aspect of the act, studio set-up, finding the possible things that go wrong with times and mixing crew till it is visually perfect. I bet he is annoyed with who ever placed that left ball which would have been the last to be placed and perhaps the closest to the times-up, maybe nerves or maybe that is an intended 'tell'.

All the rest is just patter and verbal misdirection, a distraction. No year of his life lost. No problems with BBC etc. Remains to be seen if he invents something for Friday or confesses to using camera tricks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
exactly....how many idiots out there actually still think he PREDICTED the numbers

I'm still trying to work out how they saw a woman in half and stick her back together again.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
The shot from the second camera was used to go between the opening, pre-recorded part of the show (moving camera) and the live bit (fixed camera).

The live bit was split-screen, with the person changing the balls hidden on the left.

There's a minor mistake in it, as the ball on the left is still moving when the camera switches to them. D'oh!

ehmzvp.gif

Oh, and if you think he's actually going to show how he did it on Friday, you're a fool. He never does.

this is a really interesting post, but i dont get what you mean! could you elborate for me??

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

ehmzvp.gif

I thinks that's the key to it.

The screen is split, whatever is going on the left hand side has been overlaid with a previously shot piece of footage.

I thought there was something odd about the camera work. The "judder" feels odd and not very natural.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
i'v just rewatched it after reading the post above, and it still dosn't make sense, the live camera never changes to another camera after the first time, so it can't be switching to a prerecord bit for them to change the balls, it's always live as far as i can tell. ???

ah split screen!!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As Bozza says, as the overlaid video is taken away - you can see one of the balls "jump"

Very well done, no shadows on the floor (near him) as the balls are exchanged.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Can't view Youtube at work, and only have a PC and not my trusty Mac, but I've just read the below from someone who watched the Youtube footage carefully...

I'm talking about the bit where the stand is on the left hand side of the screen and he is on the right writing down and reading out the numbers just after they have been announced. When he says 23, the left most ball in the stand jumps up slightly. You have to look closely but it definitely happens, and that ball is also slightly raised when he comes to turn the stand around.

Just viewed it in HQ directly on the YouTube page quoted earlier.

Used MacOSX Leopard built-in screen zoom facility: go to about 1min.57 start play then zoom right in (if you have Leopard, ctrl- mouse scroll wheel, move the mouse to locate the area you want). To confirm left most ball movement, look at the bottom of the ball as well as the top. The dark gaps either side grow slightly. The top is higher than the rest of the row. The 'movement' is when the wipe or blend from pre-recorded, maybe static left half is made. (initially static left half with live right half, to live full frame). Hand-on-mouth is during studio silence part, with BBC audio only (imagine the sound of a dropped ping-pong ball bouncing or squeaky trainer shoe).

The writing on the card maybe adds some time for the (hidden) placing of the balls, but it is also to give viewers a quick comparison to verify that the numbers are the same. Everything in the background cables etc is strictly left undisturbed (Maybe even glued to floor). Lighting is also key. It has to be identical for the two halves and no moving shadows from DB must encroach on to the left. The camera wobble is rigorously programmed either on a kinetic camera base or electronically. Not sure which is easier.

He would have done this several times but only to rehearse every aspect of the act, studio set-up, finding the possible things that go wrong with times and mixing crew till it is visually perfect. I bet he is annoyed with who ever placed that left ball which would have been the last to be placed and perhaps the closest to the times-up, maybe nerves or maybe that is an intended 'tell'.

All the rest is just patter and verbal misdirection, a distraction. No year of his life lost. No problems with BBC etc. Remains to be seen if he invents something for Friday or confesses to using camera tricks.

So it's not magic then ? :nono: :cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports