This Derren Brown Lottery prediction

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Very much like that yank sitting in a sealed bubble by Tower Bridge for weeks. That wasn't a feat of human endurance, because the guy is an illusionist, and therein lies the clue.

How was that an illusion? I'm sorry but most people could sit in a box drinking fluids full of nutritional supplements and god knows what for weeks on end. I'd do it tomorrow if I could scoff a box of fondant fancies and a packet of Trebor Mints (the ones the size of Refreshers, not sure if they make them anymore and if they don't they bloody well should!) before I climbed the ladder into aforementioned box.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
The ball is still 'raised' when he turns them round...

f0dk5e.jpg

it might have been raised all the time tho, any close up shots of the balls at the start??

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
watched it AGAIN, no way is that split screen!

You wouldn't be able to tell.

The camera movement is made to look like it's being hand held. But it isn't the movement is controlled by a computer.

They've simply filmed the same scene using the same pre-programmed judder and overlaid it (very well) over the live action.

Just before the camera zooms in, they remove the overlay.

Almost pulled it off perfectly, but one of the new balls is sticking up higher.

You can see it "jump" as the overlay is removed.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
You wouldn't be able to tell.

The camera movement is made to look like it's being hand held. But it isn't the movement is controlled by a computer.

They've simply filmed the same scene using the same pre-programmed judder and overlaid it (very well) over the live action.

Just before the camera zooms in, they remove the overlay.

Almost pulled it off perfectly, but one of the new balls is sticking up higher.

You can see it "jump" as the overlay is removed.

Here's the jump...

YouTube - Derren Brown Lottery Rumbled

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty DISAPPEAR in one of his acts FACT.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
ah i see! almost pulled it off perfect! bet he's well pissed at someone, also well done to the dude that found that out! didn't take long!

Sod that Fred, what was the name of those mints? They were around in the 70s and 80s and were the same shape and size as Refreshers. They were like Polos but without the hole (although they didn't taste like Polos). I thought they were 'Trebor Mints' but now I'm not so sure.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
deffinatly trebor mints, 'trebor mints are a minty bit stronger, stick em up your bum and they last a bit longer'

edit. no i know the ones your one about, it wasnt trebor mints, cant remember the name of them tho...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
deffinatly trebor mints, 'trebor mints are a minty bit stronger, stick em up your bum and they last a bit longer'

I'll have to take your word for it Fred, although the only thing I can bring up on Google images is Trebor 'Extra Strong' Mints which isn't what I was thinking of. Thank you for your co-operation in this delicate matter anyhoo.

:thumbsup:

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
I'll have to take your word for it Fred, although the only thing I can bring up on Google images is Trebor 'Extra Strong' Mints which isn't what I was thinking of. Thank you for your co-operation in this delicate matter anyhoo.

:thumbsup:

no it wasnt the extra stong mints either, they were smaller, greeny blue ones or white ones, i remember them looking on google images for them as we speak!

and they were slightly concave

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
last saw Derren Brown "live" – that is to say in person, not on the telly – at a magic convention a few years back where he was selling a DVD of his card magic. He was quiet, standing in the corner behind a small table along with 20 or so other dealers, taking £25 or so off the likes of me, amateur magicians hoping that a mere scintilla of their magic would rub off on us. It is interesting that those who sell their magic tricks and some of their secrets are called dealers. It is a drug and I have been addicted for eight years – ever since I ended up late one night in a magic shop in Las Vegas as my doctor friend and I rode across America on Harleys.

Brown is a wonderful card manipulator as well as being what is called a "mentalist", which is what he does most of now. He got tired of traditional magic and found that big-stage, big-event mentalism was a winner.

So how did he predict the lottery numbers last night? For those of you who believe in Father Christmas, look away now. He didn't. It's a trick – and that is not to belittle his abilities, his showmanship, his misdirection, his manner and his patter. Everything he does builds up to us, the audience, believing that he is doing what he is saying, right down to the hesitancy about whether it will work.

In my own pygmy way, I do a trick that involves piercing a £10 note with a pen and then making the hole disappear, leaving the note unspoilt. Some people (mostly, one of my sons says, those with asthma) gasp at this. If I were actually able to do this, and thus with one small leap, predict the lottery, I would not, dear reader, be writing this from a garret in Muswell Hill but from my house in the Hamptons (or should that be on the Hamptons? Although, come to think of it, anyone staying on or in the Hamptons after Labor Day is not worth talking to.)

So how did he do it? We all have our theories and the more fanciful these are, the more I am sure they are wide of the mark. All that twaddle about not being able to reveal his numbers before the Beeb show was brilliant. Of course he couldn't, because he didn't know at that stage what they were. The deceit was to make us think he had those numbers written down before the start. It could have been mechanical, electrical or sleight of hand. It doesn't really matter, because do you really want to know? And Brown is threatening to tell all. I bet you he doesn't tell all – just a bit. That's what he usually does.

But maybe he did predict it and I have been fooled too. Maybe he can tell us tomorrow's winner at Wincanton today. Maybe his motivation is not the money but the taking part. My gawd, how amazing. DID HE DO THAT? Whatever. He is a genius and we should appreciate his talent and his art. Now where's that pen and that tenner?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That was an article from the Grauniad by the Magician Charlie Burgess by the way, i didn't write that

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How was that an illusion? I'm sorry but most people could sit in a box drinking fluids full of nutritional supplements and god knows what for weeks on end. I'd do it tomorrow if I could scoff a box of fondant fancies and a packet of Trebor Mints (the ones the size of Refreshers, not sure if they make them anymore and if they don't they bloody well should!) before I climbed the ladder into aforementioned box.

Because he's an illusionist!

Note to Programme Seller ... see how this very obvious point does need mentioning time over time. :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
His live show in the theatre is excellent entertainment and i'll be watching on Friday to see what he does reveal.

And it must be the first mentalist on NSC that him with the hair straighteners from Hanover hasn't fancied

*edit* and do you think the nervous tic is real or part of the act ?

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Because he's an illusionist!

Note to Programme Seller ... see how this very obvious point does need mentioning time over time. :lolol:

You patronising cvnt! :smile: So you're saying that FDM, as well as being on our books (I think he was at the time) didn't really spend weeks sitting suspended in a glass box near Tower Bridge being pelted with eggs?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
You patronising cvnt! :smile: So you're saying that FDM, as well as being on our books (I think he was at the time) didn't really spend weeks sitting suspended in a glass box near Tower Bridge being pelted with eggs?

:laugh:

Yes, yes I am. And anyone who thinks these ILLUSIONISTS are really doing what they appear to be doing, had better get used to some patronising comments.

:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports