Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Five Clarifications

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I do think their apology in itself should be thrown back at them because the Mitoma penalty wasn't the only failure on their part and the apology seems to indicate they think they only got one thing wrong.
100% this was my first thought on the "apology". They are hoping with that apology for that one thing, everybody will forget the rest.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
100% this was my first thought on the "apology". They are hoping with that apology for that one thing, everybody will forget the rest.
That's how I read it as well. Howard Webb, in apologising for just one mistake, and making no reference to the other mistakes, was making a stab at damage limitation. But the club, the fans and the media are not having it.

I take a dim view of this. By apologising for just one out of a potential 5 mistakes, Webb comes across as disingenuous, and more interested in the optics, trying to manage the reputational damage, rather than actually taking ownership of ALL the mistakes, and making a public commitment to improve performance. Perhaps tomorrow will bring an epiphany from him.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
57,000 views for the video put up by the club. That's pretty decent traction. We really need to keep this public for as long as possible to try and force something more meaningful than the mealy mouthed apology we've received so far.

Share it far and wide.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
57,000 views for the video put up by the club. That's pretty decent traction. We really need to keep this public for as long as possible to try and force something more meaningful than the mealy mouthed apology we've received so far.

Share it far and wide.
Should the video itself not have its own thread?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That said if I were PGMOL I would say that the two handball calls were the honest opinion of the VAR referee. These were very difficult decisions to call and we have no 'err on the side of the attacker' rubric.

Saying 'they were the honest opinion' isn't an answer. You could say that to all decisions ever. A goal was given to MacAllister - why has it been overturned if there's no proof is hit his arm?

The shirt pull decision is again a judgement issue. Yes it was a shirt pull but the Brighton player wasn't near enough to to ball to have been able to affect play.

If a player is fouled in the box, is it a rule that they have to be near to the ball for the foul to be given? No, it isn't.

Easy! PGMOIL should give me a job.
You're fired.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I’ve gradually got used to VAR and would vote to keep it. But the people who run it and make the decisions are incompetent. Change them. Someone needs to fall on their sword. Let’s see some accountability.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
There wasn't enough of a push for a penalty.
It's a strange one. He pushes Mitoma, with sufficient force to directly cause him to touch the ball with his arm and commit a foul (I don't think he did, but anyway), but that push itself wasn't enough to be considered a foul.

Doesn't seem right IMO, at least in that context of Mitoma chasing the ball ahead of the defender.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Saying 'they were the honest opinion' isn't an answer. You could say that to all decisions ever. A goal was given to MacAllister - why has it been overturned if there's no proof is hit his arm?

If a player is fouled in the box, is it a rule that they have to be near to the ball for the foul to be given? No, it isn't.

You're fired.
I think you misunderstood my post. I was explaining how they could plausibly defend their positition, not that I agree any such arguments.

Margaret Thatcher transformed the UK for the working class by freeing them from the yoke of trade unionism.

(Schoolboy spelling error corrected. I was almost tempted to leave it, because I am told it is better to be spontaneous but wrong than to take the time and effort and advice necessary to correct one's mistakes. @Bakero is NSC's VAR :bowdown: ).

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No he hasn't, that was one decision in a game, not 5!

It was a mistake, but I can see how it was made. VAR mistakenly thought he was falling, and in that fall his arms had to hit the floor (probably true) and therefore it was an accident (probably false).
You haven't taken the result against Spuds very well, have you. ???

That doesn't mean that anyone who offers a nuanced explanation (that doesn't involve PGMOL being rabid mad-dog killers) is the enemy of the people and should be thrown into the sea, though.

:wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Someone was bound to be left with egg on their face.
I did the old yolk yoke thing a year or so ago.
It seems that old dogs do struggle with new tricks.

I shall hold my hand up and edit my post.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Last year Issaac Hayden of Newcastle was fined for bringing the game into disrepute, for this comment ‘Some performance from the boys against 12 men today. Proud to be associated with the club is an understatement.’
Would they dare issue a charge if one of ours said that after Saturday? I

I think a refereeing display like that at Tottenham last Saturday brings the game into disrepute, because whether it was or not, it looks corrupt. The PGMOL and all the officials involved in the game should be fined,

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I did the old yolk yoke thing a year or so ago.
It seems that old dogs do struggle with new tricks.

I shall hold my hand up and edit my post.

And I think I cracked the same joke last time too.

Edit: I did

Screenshot_2023-04-11-11-30-18-551_com.android.chrome.jpg

Post in thread 'Scotland V Ukraine' https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/scotland-v-ukraine.394866/post-10278634

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You haven't taken the result against Spuds very well, have you. ???

That doesn't mean that anyone who offers a nuanced explanation (that doesn't involve PGMOL being rabid mad-dog killers) is the enemy of the people and should be thrown into the sea, though.

:wink:
Not at all, but it's not my fault that every single nuanced explanation has turned out to be a loud of crap.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you misunderstood my post. I was explaining how they could plausibly defend their positition

And I'm saying that they could reply to any challenge ever with 'it was the honest opinion of the official'. That's meaningless nonsense. They might as well reply 'we're in charge, suck it up'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And I'm saying that they could reply to any challenge ever with 'it was the honest opinion of the official'. That's meaningless nonsense. They might as well reply 'we're in charge, suck it up'.
That wasn't quite what I have been saying. And I'm not exonerating them. See my long post of earlier this afternoon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not at all, but it's not my fault that every single nuanced explanation has turned out to be a loud of crap.
That's a bit rude*. I don't think my (last) explanation is crap. I repeat I am not attempting to exonerate, merely explore how they might defend themselves. My conclusion was the ref and the Var man should be asked some very specific questions and put on the spot, so the bad practice can be revealed, understood, and hopefully precluded going forward, if appropriate changes are made.

I suggest that would be more useful than simply sacking the officials, burning down their changing room/VAR hut, and screaming and screaming until one is sick.

*I am not immune to the dark arts of dispensing vituperation myself, so I'm perplexed rather than offended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here