Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Five Clarifications

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's a bit rude*.

Please don't take it personally Harry.

I don't think my (last) explanation is crap.

What was your last explanation? If you're referring to how they might defend themselves, then that's a separate subject - that's not actually an explanation of the decisions, that's playing devils advocate.

The decisions were wrong. Saying 'we made an honest judgement' (even if that is word for word what they say) is not an explanation.

I repeat I am not attempting to exonerate, merely explore how they might defend themselves
Sure, but my post that you're saying is rude wasn't replying to what they might say. More what kinky gerbil and the like have said.

My conclusion was the ref and the Var man should be asked some very specific questions and put on the spot, so the bad practice can be revealed, understood, and hopefully precluded going forward, if appropriate changes are made.

I suggest that would be more useful than simply sacking the officials, burning down their changing room/VAR hut, and screaming and screaming until one is sick.

I agree, I didn't suggest people should be sacked without conversation. I imagine that after asking for explanations the explanations will be found wanting, and it's difficult for me to imagine that a suspension at minimum wouldn't be sensible. Salisbury completely failed at his job, more so than in our game at Selhurst, and he was fired.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Please don't take it personally Harry.

What was your last explanation? If you're referring to how they might defend themselves, then that's a separate subject - that's not actually an explanation of the decisions, that's playing devils advocate.

The decisions were wrong. Saying 'we made an honest judgement' (even if that is word for word what they say) is not an explanation.

Sure, but my post that you're saying is rude wasn't replying to what they might say. More what kinky gerbil and the like have said.

I agree, I didn't suggest people should be sacked without conversation. I imagine that after asking for explanations the explanations will be found wanting, and it's difficult for me to imagine that a suspension at minimum would be sensible. Salisbury completely failed at his job, more so than in our game at Selhurst, and he was fired.
I suspect you're someone I could spend hours violently agreeing with :wink:

Incidentally, I have many purposes when I post, which can of course vary from one post to another. A common purpose is to fake a bit of empathy and attempt to put a smile on a face. :wink:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Last year Issaac Hayden of Newcastle was fined for bringing the game into disrepute, for this comment ‘Some performance from the boys against 12 men today. Proud to be associated with the club is an understatement.’
Would they dare issue a charge if one of ours said that after Saturday? I

I think a refereeing display like that at Tottenham last Saturday brings the game into disrepute, because whether it was or not, it looks corrupt. The PGMOL and all the officials involved in the game should be fined,
You have misspelt FIRED.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
That's a bit rude*. I don't think my (last) explanation is crap. I repeat I am not attempting to exonerate, merely explore how they might defend themselves. My conclusion was the ref and the Var man should be asked some very specific questions and put on the spot, so the bad practice can be revealed, understood, and hopefully precluded going forward, if appropriate changes are made.

I suggest that would be more useful than simply sacking the officials, burning down their changing room/VAR hut, and screaming and screaming until one is sick.

*I am not immune to the dark arts of dispensing vituperation myself, so I'm perplexed rather than offended.
The only sensible way forward to attempt claw back any semblance of credibility is to interrogate Salisbury continuously until he breaks down and confesses to whatever crime he's committed (an unbelievable level of incompetence or something else), then hand him his P45.
Atwell may be redeemable in some fashion if banned for the rest of the season and sent to the PGMOL gulag for re-education, although I feel that a P45 this week is the right option for him also, after brutal interrogation, of course.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The only sensible way forward to attempt claw back any semblance of credibility is to interrogate Salisbury continuously until he breaks down and confesses to whatever crime he's committed (an unbelievable level of incompetence or something else), then hand him his P45.
Atwell may be redeemable in some fashion if banned for the rest of the season and sent to the PGMOL gulag for re-education, although I feel that a P45 this week is the right option for him also, after brutal interrogation, of course.
Atwell has been demoted in the past for not being good enough, so not redeemable imo.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I suspect you're someone I could spend hours violently agreeing with :wink:

Incidentally, I have many purposes when I post, which can of course vary from one post to another. A common purpose is to fake a bit of empathy and attempt to put a smile on a face. :wink:
A laudable objective but an almost impossible task for most Albion fans after the notorious "Saturday shitshow"
or "the great Kane robbery".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do you work in Human Resources? Recruitment or employee retention?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A laudable objective but an almost impossible task for most Albion fans after the notorious "Saturday shitshow"
or "the great Kane robbery".
There you go - you can do it too! :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"Strictly come cheating"
"I'm a c**t, get me out of here"
"Ocean's Two"
"Only refs and linos"
See, you're feeling much better now.
Soon it will all be forgotten.
What is it that will be forgotten?
I don't know.
I can't remember.
Fact.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
They can stick their single apology. The best thing that could come from this is that referees are required to explain their contentious decisions. Either by way of interview or some kind of match report. An explanation of the refs VAR would go along way to placating many fans on many occasions. We might not agree but perhaps we can accept the explanation (fwiw, I don't think this would wash for many of decisions at Spurs).

Maybe add to this some kind of panel to review each game to see where improvements to the laws and processes can be made. I would also use this panel to retrospectively deal with any other issues in a game, diving for example.

I also think the fans should be invited behind the curtain to feel involved in what is going on. A mic for each ref and information showing what they are looking at on the screen and on the TV. If they feel they are doing their job adequately or better then surely they have no problem with this. If they don't want to be scrutinized then you have to ask if the whole thing is working correctly.

With the amount of money in the game and the stakes being played for there needs to be more transparency and higher scrutiny on the officials to help them improve. We know the process for VAR is flawed but their seems to be little real intent to actually improve it.

None of this seems outrageous and most is done successfully in other sports (where VAR is more successful).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This has got tediously obsessive.

Get over it.
It matters.
this isn’t just getting upset over a bit of bad luck. This is potentially people not doing their job properly or a system not working and making mistakes which could have a £multi-million effect on where the club finishes this season and what we do next season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Regarding Salisbury being "stood down" from the EPL this weekend, he will be refereeing a Championship match as is quite normal for EPL refs on occasions. So no action has been taken whatsoever.
Probably because he had already been appointed, bank holiday weekend and hardly any time since our game. He’s been stood down this round of games

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you're over it, good for you. Do you want to write to Bloom and Barber and tell them to get over it too?

If those decisions cost us a place in the CL or Europa, I dare say that our fans will not be over it when our best players leave because they want to play in Europe.
My worry is if we fail to make a Euro competition now, RDZ might take the hump and decide his future is eleswhere. If we are to beleive anythign that is written there are clubs in Italy as well as England who would be keen to have him. If he thinks it's impossible for #teamslikebrighton to get past the establishment on merit, why would he stay?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
My worry is if we fail to make a Euro competition now, RDZ might take the hump and decide his future is eleswhere. If we are to beleive anythign that is written there are clubs in Italy as well as England who would be keen to have him. If he thinks it's impossible for #teamslikebrighton to get past the establishment on merit, why would he stay?
The rate he's getting touchline bans, he could probably find time to manage another team between the games he can actually attend for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here