Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Five Clarifications

el punal

So the club are asking PGMOL for five clarifications of incidents that occurred in Saturday’s debacle at Tottenham. I think we all know which incidents but what will be the outcome of these clarifications? Five more letters of apology to pin to the boardroom wall? A replayed game because the officiating was so appallingly incompetent? Or will it be the mealy mouthed default statement of we will ensure that this doesn’t happen again(!) and are ensuring improvements are being made?

The true answer to the above is nothing will happen. It will be the classic oh well, it is what it is and just suck it up. FFS! My blood and piss is still boiling two days on! :angry:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I do think their apology in itself should be thrown back at them because the Mitoma penalty wasn't the only failure on their part and the apology seems to indicate they think they only got one thing wrong.

So absolutely right the club do not accept that, and ask them about the other 4 decisions that I think most agree were wrong, or at least so marginal as to ask the question why they all went against Brighton.

VAR is likely here to stay, so it is only going to come through pressure from clubs that things might change, although like you we're 3 years on and it appears to be worse than when it was first implemented - so not holding my breathe.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
A very close mate was with one of the PL chief execs (not PB) yesterday and in discussing our game that exec said he thought it wouldn’t be long before a club takes legal action. If you were considering legal action, the first thing you might do is seek clarification over the reasons behind the decisions…

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A very close mate was with one of the PL chief execs (not PB) yesterday and in discussing our game that exec said he thought it wouldn’t be long before a club takes legal action. If you were considering legal action, the first thing you might do is seek clarification over the reasons behind the decisions…
Interesting

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This has got tediously obsessive.

Get over it.
If you're over it, good for you. Do you want to write to Bloom and Barber and tell them to get over it too?

If those decisions cost us a place in the CL or Europa, I dare say that our fans will not be over it when our best players leave because they want to play in Europe.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

Get over it.
We’ve gone from being outsiders for CL to scrapping for 7th place and the noddy Euro competition. In the process it’s most likely cost the club £10s of millions and will mean it’s more likely our squad gets dismantled in the summer.

Tony’s put in huge amounts of his own personal wealth and his chance of a big return is knackered because of these thunder****s.

But no you’re right, we should just know our place and doff our caps respectfully and move on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thing is if PGMOL fesses up to 5 (five) result altering mistakes in the same game it would lose all credibility and viability.
Think it would also put the PL in a very awkward position, so expecting a fudge. Good on the club for raising it though.
I imagine there are some people in charge of the PGMOL who are thinking along the same lines as you, so might try to brush it under the carpet - but I disagree. I think that admitting mistakes gives you more credability. I think they should seek clarification from Michael Salisbury on why he made the calls he did, and assuming there's no good reasons (because there aren't) I think he should be suspended, fined the wages he was paid, sent for re-training, or fired completely. That would give more credability to the system IMO. A position that says when humans get it that wrong, they will be punished. Simply pretending it didn't happen does not give credability.

el punal

Get over it.
I would love to. I’ll refer you back to the games where a blatant wrong decision has led us to losing points this campaign - Villa, Palace and Spurs. Those matches the club received an apology for key decisions being incorrect. The thing is how many more times are we going to suffer from the incompetence that was served up on Saturday.

So, in your words, get over it - until the next time. Then what? This problem of VAR decision making and accountability has to be addressed now.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
So the club are asking PGMOL for five clarifications of incidents that occurred in Saturday’s debacle at Tottenham. I think we all know which incidents but what will be the outcome of these clarifications? Five more letters of apology to pin to the boardroom wall? A replayed game because the officiating was so appallingly incompetent? Or will it be the mealy mouthed default statement of we will ensure that this doesn’t happen again(!) and are ensuring improvements are being made?

The true answer to the above is nothing will happen. It will be the classic oh well, it is what it is and just suck it up. FFS! My blood and piss is still boiling two days on! :angry:
The true answer is we could have 55 clarifications and nothing meaningfull would be done, whereas Arteta has 1 rant at much less and a ref is fired.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Am cqClub has this up.

The more I watch these, the more bewildering it is. To be on the wrong end of 1 or even 2 of the decisions would be annoying but you would probably get over it, but 5 is unbelievable.
The one that has gone under the radar in my opinion is the handball by their player,. He clearly flicks the ball away and is deliberate. Therefore that's a stonewall penalty there is more contact than AliMac's "handball".

I would like the PL or PGMOL to show the definitive proof that Mitoma and Ali Mac goals actually were handball. Haven't seen any images from TV footage to suggest they were right.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Good luck with that, I think that's wishful think on their side.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We may be angry, but this is on the OFFICIAL club site. This isn't Ronald having a go but the club. This is going to go the distance and I can see things happening over the next few days. Tony, Paul & Roberto aren't going to sit back and take it on the chin. A big big statement. Well done BHA, shame it will be taken down before the end of the day by the EPL.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Their answers will be:
1) Not a clear and obvious error;
2) Not enough evidence to overrule the onfield decision;
3) There was clear evidence to overrule the onfield decision (Although nobody has seen it).
4) We've said sorry;
5) See 1).

Then they'll give RDZ a touchline ban.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Get over it.
Who exactly are you accusing of being obsessive?

The fans? That's what fans do and you come onto Nsc to complain?

The club? The club have every right to ask why, when they've received three official apologies for mistakes made by referees and/or VAR

The chairman and Chief Exec, who are being denied millions of pounds of revenue?

The manager, who has been barred from the touchline for the antics of his staff, and could face one or two of his world cup stars leaving us in the summer?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The more I watch these, the more bewildering it is. To be on the wrong end of 1 or even 2 of the decisions would be annoying but you would probably get over it, but 5 is unbelievable.
The one that has gone under the radar in my opinion is the handball by their player,. He clearly flicks the ball away and is deliberate. Therefore that's a stonewall penalty there is more contact than AliMac's "handball".

I would like the PL or PGMOL to show the definitive proof that Mitoma and Ali Mac goals actually were handball. Haven't seen any images from TV footage to suggest they were right.
Yep, I've had to point this out on twitter ... it certainly has gone under the radar and yet is so obvious. You can clearly see how the ball was diverted!

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Good luck with that, I think that's wishful think on their side.
In the case of someone choosing to take action, it would depend on what they want to achieve. In this case, let’s be generous and call the 3 handballs (our two disallowed goals and theirs for the non-penalty) 50:50 calls (50% chance of the decision going against you). I think the decisions are worse than that, but being generous. The Dunk penalty is pretty blatant but seen them not given. Let’s call that a 25% chance of it going against you. The Mitoma penalty is a travesty and PGMOL already admitted as much, so let’s call that a 10% chance of it going against you. That’s a 1 in 320 (or 0.3%) chance of all 5 decisions going against you. I think a maths genius (and famous gambler) may be starting to conclude the house isn’t playing fair and want to do something about that.

Worst case scenario he may conclude a million or so on legal fees is worth it to try to focus some minds and swing the dial back towards us in the remaining games. You’d assume ongoing legal action would at least make VAR officials focused on not f***** us over again.

It’s all unlikely, but I’d be amazed if it hasn’t at least been discussed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here