Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Five Clarifications

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Unusual odds.
A manager previously banned for match fixing.
Maybe the answer is as obvious (if unlikely) as it looks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Apologies, got you confused with someone else.

Ok, no worries.

You've not backed anything up with the comments you've made, it should be pretty easy to point to more than a handful of matches when VAR has cost a top 6 club points and there was a fall out after.

No, what I'm saying is that VAR has never done to a big club what was done to Brighton on Saturday. So there are no matches to point to, it's not happened. If you disagree, it's on you to point to those matches.
We should have had 3 penalties and 2 goals - what can you find that even close to that level of biased incompetence?

You are the one that has made the claim about heads rolling after bad decisions you should find the countless examples that apparently exists.

No I have not made that claim. I said if what happened to us had happened to a big club, heads would roll, but it has never happened to a big club, so there are no examples to use. It's on you to show examples where a big club has suffered such ridiculous decisions.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is all reminding me of the 77-78 season when we were denied promotion to the top division by the actions of Spurs and Saints. It made us stronger and we gained our rightful place in the top flight the following season.
Whilst we should make a fuss over these incompetent decisions (any other explanation would be scandalous and warrant an in depth enquiry) they should be accepted for what they are. The team should be kept together as far as possible and these blatant errors used to motivate them, make us stronger and enable us to walk into a top four slot next season.
Also the Ramirez game at Middlesbrough, which ultimately allowed us to enter the Premier League when we were good and ready for it.

Let’s hope we can look back on this game in the same way in a few years time.

Sep 9, 2010
Perhaps significant, perhaps not, but scanning back through news on the official BHA app there was an update / article after the Palace 1-1 game where the apology was reported on and noted by the club.

This most recent "apology" is notable by its absence in official reporting (unless I've missed it).

So if the club reported it last time around, but haven't done yet this time, does it mean anything? Are they are in the process of taking it further before they give an update? Waiting for more info?

Is there any significance to this or am staring into tea leaves?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's the only one that I'm less sure of. He definitely handles it but I'm not sure it warrants an intervention and I would be very annoyed if that went against us.

The rule is that if a player's hand/arm is in an unnatural position (and it was) and it touches the ball (it did) it's a penalty. There's no grey area there, it's a penalty.

its never a penalty IMO

You don't appear to be up to date with the current rules.

Personally think the Dunk one is a bit questionable too to be honest as he’s never getting to the ball

That is not relevant. If you pull someone over, it doesn't matter if they weren't getting to the ball.

You seem to be going with general gut feeling of what seems sensible, as opposed to the actual rules of the game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Darren Cann isn’t allowed to officiate Palace games no surprise he rules out Mitoma’s goal.

Interesting.

After the storm I’m with Stuart Pierce don’t let it effect us move on and we can still achieve European football.
That's the view the players have to take - it's not the view that fans and the club should take.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps there is a handball subrule that means no foul (HWT suggested this earlier) - For example the handball didn’t put Brighton at disadvantage?

No, there is not. It happens plenty of times when a raised arm hits a ball crossed into the box, while the ball was sailing out of harms way.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Dunk one was nailed on. Two hands gripping shirt. Dunk clearly held back.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
While it's great the club are not taking this lying down what is the intended outcome? A) sacked officials b) replay c) stopping Var . Could see A) but not b or c so not sure how the club benefits.
I don’t think it will in terms of results now but hopefully it will achieve an improvement in refereeing and in VAR. We can live in hope.....

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
The one I understand the most is Mitoma's goal being chalked out. I think that is one that despite it seeming insane, according to IFAB, it is a handball. See below:

1681153569304.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You have elegantly demonstrated one more reason why it is not a conspiracy.

No he hasn't, that was one decision in a game, not 5!

It was a mistake, but I can see how it was made. VAR mistakenly thought he was falling, and in that fall his arms had to hit the floor (probably true) and therefore it was an accident (probably false).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
While it's great the club are not taking this lying down what is the intended outcome? A) sacked officials b) replay c) stopping Var . Could see A) but not b or c so not sure how the club benefits.
If A happens, then officials thinking they can get away with such biased/inept decisions against us in the future would be wise to think again. That would be a good result.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ok, no worries.

No, what I'm saying is that VAR has never done to a big club what was done to Brighton on Saturday. So there are no matches to point to, it's not happened. If you disagree, it's on you to point to those matches.
We should have had 3 penalties and 2 goals - what can you find that even close to that level of biased incompetence?

No I have not made that claim. I said if what happened to us had happened to a big club, heads would roll, but it has never happened to a big club, so there are no examples to use. It's on you to show examples where a big club has suffered such ridiculous decisions.
He’s a Spurs fan, you are wasting your time

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The one I understand the most is Mitoma's goal being chalked out. I think that is one that despite it seeming insane, according to IFAB, it is a handball. See below:

View attachment 159522
That drawing is nothing like the examples I've seen before, which suggests it's more in line with the end of a typical football shirt sleeve.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
While we have been concentrating on the disallowed goals and penalties which weren't given, we have been overlooking the two footed assault on Gross by Perisic for which he was only given a yellow.
As far as I can tell, no VAR interjection to alert the referee of possible red card offence, given the challenge was not under control and could have caused a serious injury to Gross.
I think that's because some of us see that challenge as more subjective. It's harder for me personally to be sure which of those are red and which are yellow (I accept that others will be better at judging those). The decisions I'm complaining about are ones that I don't think are debatable - they are terrible decisions by VAR.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The point is - it wouldn't have happened against a 'big club' though.
I know, but kinkiy is blind to this, asking for evidence of heads rolling, when it's never happened to a big club in the first place.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think that's because some of us see that challenge as more subjective. It's harder for me personally to be sure which of those are red and which are yellow (I accept that others will be better at judging those). The decisions I'm complaining about are ones that I don't think are debatable - they are terrible decisions by VAR.
Yup, the way I see it too. Not bothered about any tackles and subsequent bookings. Most are subjective.
We see different decisions for similar tackles in every match.
But a stamp on the foot, a handball, and a two handed shirt pull, all in the box, that's not subjective. They're penalties.
No need to distract ourselves on anything other than those three incidents IMHO.
(Although I'd love to know which angles VAR saw for the Welbz goal because I've not seen any that conclusively prove Mac handballed it. And if it was handball how is Lengelets not spotted?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here