[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Apologies for being so tardy in my response time Bold.

I think the 'awful' (and apologies if this was taken as a suggestion that the football is awful as it is not) relates to the play with no end product. Again, I'll reiterate that I'm in no way calling for Potter's head here, although last season when I saw no results and the Albion sinking towards the relegation zone I will entirely admit that I voted for Potter to go - and every time it was with reluctance and based upon results.

In this thread you'll see that I've been balanced and stated that it was, and has been, worrying at times in that we've gone through significant patches where we've been unable to press an advantage home. At the end of the day this is a results business and when there's a significant patch where results don't come then it can be seen as poor management.

I think ‘results business’ is an bad term for fans to use - we don’t support a business otherwise we’d be customers right? Leave results business talk to the media and idiotic owners. You’ve actually stated where we were in certain patches, and that’s having an advantage, you never pull the trigger when that’s the case whether you’re pressing that advantage in a result or not.

I’m just one that thanks our lucky stars we are run in a way that screams stability and loyalty which in term manifests itself as a sustained team spirit that has been on an upward trajectory since Hyppia went. Even when all confidence disappeared under Hughton, the spirit at the club got us over the line. Potter’s now expertly turned spirit into belief, confidence and tactical intelligence. I’d love to say hindsight but I’ve felt this strongly under Potter’s entire tenure, mainly because you can see a group of players completely buying into what we do. Thankfully behind the scenes I don’t think Potter has come even remotely close to being sacked, and now it seems we have a season to really start enjoying that stability.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think ‘results business’ is an bad term for fans to use - we don’t support a business otherwise we’d be customers right? Leave results business talk to the media and idiotic owners. You’ve actually stated where we were in certain patches, and that’s having an advantage, you never pull the trigger when that’s the case whether you’re pressing that advantage in a result or not.

I’m just one that thanks our lucky stars we are run in a way that screams stability and loyalty which in term manifests itself as a sustained team spirit that has been on an upward trajectory since Hyppia went. Even when all confidence disappeared under Hughton, the spirit at the club got us over the line. Potter’s now expertly turned spirit into belief, confidence and tactical intelligence. I’d love to say hindsight but I’ve felt this strongly under Potter’s entire tenure, mainly because you can see a group of players completely buying into what we do. Thankfully behind the scenes I don’t think Potter has come even remotely close to being sacked, and now it seems we have a season to really start enjoying that stability.

I'm sure he hasn't and nor should he.

The next tranche of games will be the most fascinating.
In theory we ought to be delirious by the time we get to Villa (or Watford whichever is last)

palace, Bumley and Villa at home.
Leicester and Watford away.

History suggests Leicester will be the only 'easy' game!
But if GPott can take the current form into these achilles heel games, none of those teams should be able to hold a candle to us.
Not saying they are all bankers, that's ridiculous, but if all we have left after those is classless attacks on decent club men, then giddy up.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I don't disagree with anything you say about stability, which is why every time I considered one of Icy's polls and eventually moved from 'in' to 'out' I was very clear that I was voting so reluctantly, and based upon the results (and some of the decisions) that I saw before me. Each time I expressed a hope that he would turn things around. I think the point you make about long term stability and a reluctance to remove a manager and how this must influence all the back room staff is an excellent one.

I'm pleased that the Albion have never really been a 'sacking' club and I'll bet we've had fewer managers than many others over the year - and that goes back to before TB's tenure. I'm proud of that too.

However, I think football is about results, and even GP will admit to that. Yes, you need to get the set up right first, but after that you'll be expected to deliver results. My use of the phrase 'results business' was not intended to suggest that the Albion is a business. It's not. In other posts I've bemoaned they way an otherwise excellently run club has meddled in 'customer affairs' to the nth degree. But, great football, without results on the pitch, will eventually lead to fan dissatisfaction and I know that we'll both agree that whatever 'boogate' was, it was a reflection of that frustration.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't disagree with anything you say about stability, which is why every time I considered one of Icy's polls and eventually moved from 'in' to 'out' I was very clear that I was voting so reluctantly, and based upon the results (and some of the decisions) that I saw before me. Each time I expressed a hope that he would turn things around. I think the point you make about long term stability and a reluctance to remove a manager and how this must influence all the back room staff is an excellent one.

I'm pleased that the Albion have never really been a 'sacking' club and I'll bet we've had fewer managers than many others over the year - and that goes back to before TB's tenure. I'm proud of that too.

However, I think football is about results, and even GP will admit to that. Yes, you need to get the set up right first, but after that you'll be expected to deliver results. My use of the phrase 'results business' was not intended to suggest that the Albion is a business. It's not. In other posts I've bemoaned they way an otherwise excellently run club has meddled in 'customer affairs' to the nth degree. But, great football, without results on the pitch, will eventually lead to fan dissatisfaction and I know that we'll both agree that whatever 'boogate' was, it was a reflection of that frustration.

Boogate was a reflection that at every football match there are a percentage of idiots. I wouldn’t even credit them but quantifying it as ‘fan dissatisfaction’. We were still top half for most of that time, we only lost 3 times, 4 in total - honestly to have boo’d this season, they’ve got to take a long hard look in the mirror.

What I mean about results business is fans have to have a context and perspective of where their team is in the great scheme of things, and performances, effort, determination, spirit all matter even if results don’t always come.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A lot of holier than thou re booing, I don't think I'd have done it but its just an opinion

Ones things for sure, the intent and results have changed since, so maybe it had the desired effect.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A lot of holier than thou re booing, I don't think I'd have done it but its just an opinion

Ones things for sure, the intent and results have changed since, so maybe it had the desired effect.

If not that, certainly a lot of overthinking.

The team had under performed and had been doing so for a couple of months.
A tiny minority showed their frustration in the heat of the moment in a nearly empty, silent, stadium.

Simple as that.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If not that, certainly a lot of overthinking.

The team had under performed and had been doing so for a couple of months.
A tiny minority showed their frustration in the best of the moment in a nearly empty, silent, stadium.

Simple as that.

Exactly. No justifications either way. Certainly not a prelude to better results! :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly. No justifications either way. Certainly not a prelude to better results! :lolol:

The team has certainly played differently since.

As said earlier with what's to come it's going to be intriguing.

I find it hard to believe we'll return to Dunk - Duffy - Dunk - Sanchez - Dunk...
In injury time of a 0-0 game with no previous shots on goal.

With those that are left standing behind Dunk wildly gesticulating towards the South Stand.

But as the likes of [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] point out, we have previous and those recent memories need to be vanquished.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The team has certainly played differently since.

As said earlier with what's to come it's going to be intriguing.

I find it hard to believe we'll return to Dunk - Duffy - Dunk - Sanchez - Dunk...
In injury time of a 0-0 game with no previous shots on goal.

With those that are left standing behind Dunk wildly gesticulating towards the South Stand.

But as the likes of [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] point out, we have previous and those recent memories need to be vanquished.

They haven’t. We’ve taken chances, don’t think we’ve played better. Games like Arsenal at home we were a lot better overall than Brentford or Everton, just didn’t finish. I think some of you take a result as justification of the performance, and suddenly we’ve played differently. We missed easier chances in the games we drew than those we just won. That’s football at the end of the day.

Just take each game as it comes. Far too much over thinking for me. Points are points regardless of who they are against. Apart from up the road obviously. But the others, it’s just the next game. I’m not hanging on artificial importance of one fixture over another. If it doesn’t happen home to Villa, or Burnley, or whoever I’m not going to lose any sleep if we pick up points elsewhere, otherwise it’s just looking for reasons to be dissatisfied.

Jimmy Grimble

[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] on the money as usual[emoji106]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They haven’t. We’ve taken chances, don’t think we’ve played better. Games like Arsenal at home we were a lot better overall than Brentford or Everton, just didn’t finish. I think some of you take a result as justification of the performance, and suddenly we’ve played differently. We missed easier chances in the games we drew than those we just won. That’s football at the end of the day.

Just take each game as it comes. Far too much over thinking for me. Points are points regardless of who they are against. Apart from up the road obviously. But the others, it’s just the next game. I’m not hanging on artificial importance of one fixture over another. If it doesn’t happen home to Villa, or Burnley, or whoever I’m not going to lose any sleep if we pick up points elsewhere, otherwise it’s just looking for reasons to be dissatisfied.

The result isn't justification.

v Wolves they had 2 shots on target all game.
v Everton they had more than that in the first 5 minutes.

If 'it' doesn't happen v palace Bumley and Villa despite even the kitchen sink ending up in the back of their net then so be it.
The recent results will see them through.

If 'it' doesn't happen despite 80% possession and one shot on target then we're edging back to square one, again, and all the previous frustrations will be bubbling towards the surface

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The result isn't justification.

v Wolves they had 2 shots on target all game.
v Everton they had more than that in the first 5 minutes.

If 'it' doesn't happen v palace Bumley and Villa despite even the kitchen sink ending up in the back of their net then so be it.
The recent results will see them through.

If 'it' doesn't happen despite 80% possession and one shot on target then we're edging back to square one, again, and all the previous frustrations will be bubbling towards the surface

Shots on target / goals - yes it’s been a problem, I thought I said that already? :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shots on target / goals - yes it’s been a problem, I thought I said that already? :shrug:

You had, but you're denying the difference in play in the wake of boogate, as I guess to acknowledge it would give some creditability to the booies.

You seem to be attaching a lot of positivity in games where others saw very little.
You talk of taking each game in isolation but also of holistic approach to the process.

Very few posters saw that run from Junior's perspective (were thumbs down still an option I'm sure he'd have come close to setting a record (even before the aftertimers over the last week) )
Those that got close did so with a heavy heart.

While I think the majority were just annoyed, weary, frustrated, anxious, whatever adjective you want to politely describe pissed off!!!

What's happened since, with for me Chelsea rather edging out the other 2 to top spot, in my mind does show it wasn't just the fans that were pissed off.

The XI, either by luck or design, got mixed up, they started drinkIng Red Bull instead of Horlicks and the performances and results have made a mockery of those seen against Leeds, Newcastle, Villa.and Southampton.

All of which are similar to the games we have upcoming.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Surely Graham Potter has taken us as far as he can.

11 without a win, soul destroying boring boring football, continued denial that we need a striker and utterly perplexing substitutions week in week out.

People bang on about where he's got us, potterball, suggesting I'm trolling etc. I'm not, I've been trying to get this across to you for 2 seasons now. If this is Potterball it's an actual pile of shit. Football is about winning and scoring goals and we do neither.

We are sinking like the titanic and Potter is out of his depth.

This aged well.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Slipped down to 9th tonight, he's on thin effing ice my pedigree chum, and Uncle Tony will be under it when it breaks

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You had, but you're denying the difference in play in the wake of boogate, as I guess to acknowledge it would give some creditability to the booies.

You seem to be attaching a lot of positivity in games where others saw very little.
You talk of taking each game in isolation but also of holistic approach to the process.

Very few posters saw that run from Junior's perspective (were thumbs down still an option I'm sure he'd have come close to setting a record (even before the aftertimers over the last week) )
Those that got close did so with a heavy heart.

While I think the majority were just annoyed, weary, frustrated, anxious, whatever adjective you want to politely describe pissed off!!!

What's happened since, with for me Chelsea rather edging out the other 2 to top spot, in my mind does show it wasn't just the fans that were pissed off.

The XI, either by luck or design, got mixed up, they started drinkIng Red Bull instead of Horlicks and the performances and results have made a mockery of those seen against Leeds, Newcastle, Villa.and Southampton.

All of which are similar to the games we have upcoming.

Well, we’re back to square one. I thought we were very good against Leeds, did everything you could want in a game bar score. You’ve chalked any performance where we haven’t won against a side you feel we should beat as a poor one. Villa away I grant you wasn’t our best day, and neither was it at Southampton, however Southampton and West Ham were the games that really paved the way for starting believe in ourselves a bit more in getting a goal. Wolves was our first game without Dunk, Duffy or Webster if I recall, and we got undone in a first half I again thought we played well. Brentford we scored two difficult chances so the confidence just started to build a little more in front of goal each time.

Had we not equalised against Chelsea, I’d have still waxed lyrical over the performance, but I expect some wouldn’t have, just another defeat where we squandered chances, however Welbeck turns into a transformation story.

So hence I’m not going to buy into there’s been a sudden change or Redbull instead of Horlicks, it’s been confidence and belief in front of goal slowly but surely emerging.

I have no doubts there will be future games we have 20 chances, 60% of the ball and don’t score, par for the course I feel, because it’s not a magic button that’s been flicked or changed, it’s just a bit of belief and it can go as quickly as it arrives.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, we’re back to square one. I thought we were very good against Leeds, did everything you could want in a game bar score. You’ve chalked any performance where we haven’t won against a side you feel we should beat as a poor one. Villa away I grant you wasn’t our best day, and neither was it at Southampton, however Southampton and West Ham were the games that really paved the way for starting believe in ourselves a bit more in getting a goal. Wolves was our first game without Dunk, Duffy or Webster if I recall, and we got undone in a first half I again thought we played well. Brentford we scored two difficult chances so the confidence just started to build a little more in front of goal each time.

Had we not equalised against Chelsea, I’d have still waxed lyrical over the performance, but I expect some wouldn’t have, just another defeat where we squandered chances, however Welbeck turns into a transformation story.

So hence I’m not going to buy into there’s been a sudden change or Redbull instead of Horlicks, it’s been confidence and belief in front of goal slowly but surely emerging.

I have no doubts there will be future games we have 20 chances, 60% of the ball and don’t score, par for the course I feel, because it’s not a magic button that’s been flicked or changed, it’s just a bit of belief and it can go as quickly as it arrives.

Fair do's.

We (many of us) are looking at similar glasses with a similar amount of water in.
We're just looking at the very differently. :lol:

I don't believe those that think (thought) the glass was empty have any credibility.
The same for those that think the glass run'th over.

Irrespective of the score the Chelsea game was 'the' game.
40+ years of watching the Albion told me their second goal was coming in the 79th minute.

It didn't.

The right substitutions were made at the right time (not hindsight) and the team got their goal.

We differ in that I don't believe many of the opposition teams in that run could have laid a glove on the team that played in the last two and a half games (2nd half v Brentford notwithstanding)

but that's Coolio!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I love what we are doing and where we are at the moment, but I will be even happier when we show we can demolish teams like Norwich rather than struggling. All the big teams have the occasional freak result, but everybody knows we have made a habit of it over the last three or four seasons…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports