Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Of course they are, which is why he laughs when there are over 700 replies.

Has everyone forgotten how Ernest used to wind people up?

ENREST used to make it blatantly obvious it was a joke/wind-up. That was (often, not all the time) funny.

This just comes across as Junior talking shite and, if he is winding people up –*why? The only one it's entertaining is him, which is a weird way for him to get his kicks in life.

But each to their own*– I just don't get why you would contribute to an internet message board your posts are almost exclusively negative/bizarre :shrug:

Like I say, doesn't wind me up, just makes me think he's a bit odd. And why respond? Why not?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I don't believe the deliberate wind-up argument is correct, I think it is more a venting of emotion when games don't go well for us or when the angst of a transfer window proves too much.

Thing is these times are exactly when everyone else is suffering but trying to keep calm which is why the arguments start. The counterparty to this is all the overly excitable types waxing lyrical about every game no matter the outcome or quality of opposition.

If everyone could keep their emotions in check and just be mildly happy/angry that would be great. Thanks all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't believe the deliberate wind-up argument is correct, I think it is more a venting of emotion when games don't go well for us or when the angst of a transfer window proves too much.

Thing is these times are exactly when everyone else is suffering but trying to keep calm which is why the arguments start. The counterparty to this is all the overly excitable types waxing lyrical about every game no matter the outcome or quality of opposition.

If everyone could keep their emotions in check and just be mildly happy/angry that would be great. Thanks all.

You've been on NSC for 11 years and still believe that?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think it's pretty poor form to quote someone out of context, months and months and months down the line to score points. To be clear, I said the same when the positive posts about Potter/individuals were being quoted after long winless runs as well. If you have to temper every post with caution that it might look silly at some point in the future it will kill discussion and debate.

My own thoughts on Potter have been well established and as critical as I have been during those winless runs, I have to be balanced and credit him with the remarkable and sustained run of form we're currently showing. To be in February and to have only lost 4 league games is incredible, especially given that one of them was to Everton! He's doing a fantastic job and as much as I think that's largely because of the quality of the tools at his disposal, the fact remains that he is the manager of a team outperforming all reasonable expectations.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Did Gormless Benny have any input into the recruitment of Lamptey or Cucurella? Was he instrimental in encouraging them to run really really fast? Did he leave Alexis Mac on the bench for yonks for any good reason? Or persevere with that corner thing where you volunteer to leave one of your players off the pitch for aforesaid corner? Or where you dick around at the back for no real reason at all. Nice clothes tho Emperor Potter :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it's pretty poor form to quote someone out of context, months and months and months down the line to score points. To be clear, I said the same when the positive posts about Potter/individuals were being quoted after long winless runs as well. If you have to temper every post with caution that it might look silly at some point in the future it will kill discussion and debate.

My own thoughts on Potter have been well established and as critical as I have been during those winless runs, I have to be balanced and credit him with the remarkable and sustained run of form we're currently showing. To be in February and to have only lost 4 league games is incredible, especially given that one of them was to Everton! He's doing a fantastic job and as much as I think that's largely because of the quality of the tools at his disposal, the fact remains that he is the manager of a team outperforming all reasonable expectations.

Wow, how generous of you. Thank goodness for his tools. :lolol:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Wow, how generous of you. Thank goodness for his tools. :lolol:

Well, yes. But any manager is only as good as their players. Gus Poyet doesn't dominate and win League 1 without the signings we made that summer, with funds which possibly hadn't been available for previous managers. Potter is the beneficiary of years and years and years of investment in the squad, clever bargains like Veltman and Lamptey and expensive signings like Webster and Maupay. I'm not saying he's not doing well, but I am saying his job is made easier because of the structure of our club.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, yes. But any manager is only as good as their players. Gus Poyet doesn't dominate and win League 1 without the signings we made that summer, with funds which possibly hadn't been available for previous managers. Potter is the beneficiary of years and years and years of investment in the squad, clever bargains like Veltman and Lamptey and expensive signings like Webster and Maupay. I'm not saying he's not doing well, but I am saying his job is made easier because of the structure of our club.

Interesting, so conversely it's a bit irrational to blame poor runs of form on the manager when it has so much to do with the players, their confidence, their personal form etc. Making starting threads about sacking managers of team's that are playing well, creating tonnes of chances, dominating games, only for said players to be missing chances - slightly ridiculous.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

1) I'm not trying to score points

2) If he is willing to voice those opinions in the first place – whether to 'wind people up' or because he actually thinks that – I'm sure he can take it :thumbsup:

3) If you stick your head above the parapet with a pretty strong opinion, don't be surprised when it comes back to bite you because that opinion has turned to shite!

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Did Gormless Benny have any input into the recruitment of Lamptey or Cucurella? Was he instrimental in encouraging them to run really really fast? Did he leave Alexis Mac on the bench for yonks for any good reason? Or persevere with that corner thing where you volunteer to leave one of your players off the pitch for aforesaid corner? Or where you dick around at the back for no real reason at all. Nice clothes tho Emperor Potter :thumbsup:

Seriously, you are maintaining that Potter isn't very good? Look at the league table.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Seriously, you are maintaining that Potter isn't very good? Look at the league table.

THPP is your classic wind up attention seeking poster. Why be loving the performances, the football, the climb up the table when you have the chance to swim against the tide being grumpy. It is a role some people are born for.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

2) If he is willing to voice those opinions in the first place – whether to 'wind people up' or because he actually thinks that – I'm sure he can take it :thumbsup:

3) If you stick your head above the parapet with a pretty strong opinion, don't be surprised when it comes back to bite you because that opinion has turned to shite!
But on the back of beating Watford - come on.

At least wait until 10 points have been rattled off from Watford to Villa then come out swinging.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester

Cute.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

I wasn't replying to anyone in particular. The original poster is one of the most loathsome on this forum in my opinion, so I certainly wasn't trying to defend them - it was more a general point about the danger of killing discussion by bouncing old threads with the purpose of quoting out of context.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here