Supporters' bar/beer update

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Right, on the basis that it is Heineken who are supplying the beers, except the real ales, the draught cider is likely to be Strongbow, or if you you are lucky Scrumpy Jack. It would seem the only way you apple lovers are going to get a different cider to these two, is if Heineken are willing to do a similar thing to what they have done with the ales.

From Butterball's post:

I am told:

Bud on tap
Hooegarden
Staropramen
Bottled selection including Singha and Duvel

None of these are Heineken products so it would seem to me unlikely that Heineken would stock them. Especially Bud and Star as they would just be supplying competition for their own products. So the likely other drinks found at Falmer will be from this list, all of which are Heineken brands:

Tiger, Amstel, Jacques, Newcastle Brown Ale, Deuchars IPA, Murphy's, Sagres, Zywiec, McEwan's, Birra Moretti, Woodpecker, Scrumpy Jack and Symonds Founders Reserve

Finally, for you stout drinkers there will probably be no Guinness, it will be Murphy's. Heineken have been pushing Murphy's hard for quite a while now and I suspect that with the other concessions they have made they will insist on this.

All of this is speculation on what I know from dealing with Heineken, no insider knowledge from the club, so feel free to prove me wrong if you have better information.

Heineken-Fosters (one company) do indeed have the pouring rights and I suspect you may well be right on this. I did meet up with a couple of Heineken people a while ago and this is the list they showed me. At the very least we should be able to get them to provide chosen items from the list (again, as long as sales figures back us up) Whether there is any further leeway for other products is something for Elliott to tell me since he negotiated the contract with them. I shall direct him to this thread on Monday and should have further info soon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am going to see Elliott Moore, the catering manager, very soon, and on all our behalfs will bring up the question of quality lagers and real cider - not just in the supporters' bar but all round the stadium. Outside of the real ales, which have been negotiated on a separate contract, Heineken-Fosters have the pouring rights, but/and I know that all concerned are really keen to go with customer preference - as long as it is backed up in sales figures of course - and they are aware that it's not just the ale drinkers who want something other than the obvious two. More when I've seen/spoken to Elliott, hopefully next week. Same goes for coffee - I am absolutely with you there, when I'm driving I am an expresso fiend :)

I'm more of a campaign for real lager person, and they're are some great large produced draft products out there, Warsteiner and Bitburger are great examples. If you want to push the boat out then Meantime Helles or Kolsher. They also do bottled London Lager which is possibly the best lager I have ever tasted. Ask them nicely and they might stick it in plastic bottles for you. And if you really want to go mad then Brewdog 77 lager. They do a grand IPA as well.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Well this is all grand news, aside from the absence of Guinness, which is a little disappointing. But given there will be TWO quality ales on tap I won't be too worried about the black stuff not being available.

And as the fizzy stuff goes I don't really mind Heineken these days, in case I ever do fancy deviating from the bitter, which I doubt I ever will.

Top this off with a selection of decent bottled beers and you're talking an almost perfect bar (assuming the Budweiser rumour was bullshit).

Can't wait

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The possible absence of Guinness does bring one benefit ... faster service at the bar.

I believe Murphy's also claim the same nonsense about the two part pouring method. As we all know it actually makes no difference, but it has become such a part of stout's mythology that no bar dares to pour it without settling time.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
So we've got a great range of beers in the stadium and supporters bar that's different to pretty much every ground in the football league and caters for the vast majority of drinking supporters.

And yet still people moan because they've made "crap" beer available (which sells more in volume than most) and because their favourite isn't available.

The club/the people who've made this happen and managed a sensible compromise deserve nothing but praise.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And yet still people moan because they've made "crap" beer available (which sells more in volume than most) and because their favourite isn't available.

The club/the people who've made this happen and managed a sensible compromise deserve nothing but praise.

Absolutely. And its not like the beer selection is cast in stone forever anyways. If people don't drink the "crap" beer, then they'll soon stop stocking it.

I believe Murphy's also claim the same nonsense about the two part pouring method. As we all know it actually makes no difference, but it has become such a part of stout's mythology that no bar dares to pour it without settling time.
Yes, but ... most Guinness drinkers won't ask for Murphy's.

Personally, I prefer bottled Guinness.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I was a bit worse for wear when posting on this thread last night, and apart from the Dark Star and Harveys (which i was told about) unfortunately the rest was my wishlist instead :blush:

Still, would be good if it came true :drink:

Anything but the dreadful triumvarate of Fosters/1664/Stella (does anyone else's heart sink when they walk into an establishment and see these three evil liquids on tap) :down:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Heineken is a good choice for lager drinkers and dark star is an excellent choice for ale drinkers.I had heard that Harveys and Dark Star will change from match to match, one week it'll be Harveys on tap with Dark Star sold in bottles, the next week it'll be Dark Star on tap and Harveys sold in bottles. I might be wrong but it makes sense in a way.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Try the Leon over here, makes Fosters taste like nectar in comparison.

I agree, I don't understand why anyone drinks it I'n preference to the Keo and Carlsberg, both much better IMO.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yes, but ... most Guinness drinkers won't ask for Murphy's.

Personally, I prefer bottled Guinness.

True, but most will drink Murphy's if offered it as an alternative. They will moan about it, but they will drink it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports