Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supporters' bar/beer update

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am going into Brighton tomorrow, got to go to o2 shop to see if I can get a roaming sim card to get broadband in Portugal on my dongle and while in Brighton might go and try some Hophead where stocks it in central Bighton.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I am going into Brighton tomorrow, got to go to o2 shop to see if I can get a roaming sim card to get broadband in Portugal on my dongle and while in Brighton might go and try some Hophead where stocks it in central Bighton.
The Quadrant is probably easiest if you're heading to Churchill Square.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Quadrant is probably easiest if you're heading to Churchill Square.

I will try that as I used to do the stocktaking there in the 80s when it was owned by Lion Taverns which in turn was owned by Maxwell Josephs ex wife. They also owned The Walmer Cstle. Tha Alhambra Bar on the seafront and a gay pub is it The Sillcott off Western Rd just past Preston St.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Well you see the people who drink ale over the years are a large group who have made efforts to get a decent drink in their watering holes whilst in the main lager boys have no discerning palate to talk of so will drink any fizzy crap that gets them pissed. I

First I'm not a lager boy, I'm a cider boy. As such I have no time for Magners, Bulmers, Strongbow and any number of similar drinks that are cider in name alone.

There really are some pompous drink snobs around.
Why if one person enjoys a particular drink do some have to be so condescending.

C'mon what else are you snobby about, or is it just other peoples choice of tipple ?

Perhaps those with such strong opinions should give us all a guide as to what beverages the drinks police think we should avoid to stop us being inferior drinkers !

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Disagree. They both keep their ales very well but the Evening Star always stinks of urine.

you do seem to enjoy any chance of knocking Dark Star.

Anyone would think you were obsessed by Harveys....

Crikey, it's not a competition, surely people can just be happy we're getting a nice selection of drinks to choose from at the New Ground, unlikely the majority which offer only Carslberg or John Smiths, and unlike Withdean which had only whatever the Sportsman served up!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
you do seem to enjoy any chance of knocking Dark Star.

Anyone would think you were obsessed by Harveys....

Crikey, it's not a competition, surely people can just be happy we're getting a nice selection of drinks to choose from at the New Ground, unlikely the majority which offer only Carslberg or John Smiths, and unlike Withdean which had only whatever the Sportsman served up!

Nope, I wasn't knocking dark star and neither pub sells Harveys. I'm still harbouring some hope that I'll get to like hop head and I do like dark star APA.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There really are some pompous drink snobs around.
Why if one person enjoys a particular drink do some have to be so condescending.

C'mon what else are you snobby about, or is it just other peoples choice of tipple ?

Perhaps those with such strong opinions should give us all a guide as to what beverages the drinks police think we should avoid to stop us being inferior drinkers !

You sound like a shandy drinker to me.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I understand this will be served....

1709.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Disagree. They both keep their ales very well but the Evening Star always stinks of urine.

I went to The Quadrant and it doesnt have Hophead now it is not on the eir beer list for this month. Mostly WJ King beers, which I quite like but defeats the object of going in there.

So went to the Evening Star, the beer was ok nothing brilliant but better than Harveys but for my taste it was too cold. Notters description of the pub was very apt what a dive everything wrong with it. I cannot remember ever running or even visiting such a run down place and I started in the docks of the east end of London. As I said my beer was OK as was my wifes lager but that is where the credit stops. If that is CAMRA pub of the year god help the worst mind you I have a distinct view on CAMRA and their members knowledge, which I have gained through vast experience but I could never piut it on here.

I am not sure whether I would take to Hophead or not so I shall have to go to the Partridge in Partridge Green to give it another try before deciding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here