Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supporters' bar/beer update

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Am I the only one beginning to dread that as the real ale bores have made such a f***ing fuss about things to ensure they got their way that, unfortunately, those who like quality lagers and quality ciders are going to be stuffed?

I hope I'm wrong - we'll find out soon enough.

The real ale bores have asked for beers that they actually LIKE to drink and you lager boys will drink any shit put in front of you. That`s what you`ve always done.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
there is the problem of the measly capacity. Particularly if there is SKY sports available showing the lunchtime games there is going to be a massive bundle to get in

250 capacity seems incredibly small - only 1 per cent of the ground capacity! Surely more than that will want to drink in there before the game.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The real ale bores have asked for beers that they actually LIKE to drink and you lager boys will drink any shit put in front of you. That`s what you`ve always done.

Blimey, that was a quick and easy bite.

First I'm not a lager boy, I'm a cider boy. As such I have no time for Magners, Bulmers, Strongbow and any number of similar drinks that are cider in name alone.

Secondly, as this thread illustrates, there are a large number of 'lager boys' who want a well-crafted lager as opposed to the 'shit' you allude to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
250 capacity seems incredibly small - only 1 per cent of the ground capacity! Surely more than that will want to drink in there before the game.

To put it into perspective, I believe the away section of the Saddlers Club at Walsall, that many will have visited, holds 300.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location

First I'm not a lager boy, I'm a cider boy. As such I have no time for Magners, Bulmers, Strongbow and any number of similar drinks that are cider in name alone.

Westons Organic anyone? Now that would be a coup

Premium%20Organic%20large.jpg

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Secondly, as this thread illustrates, there are a large number of 'lager boys' who want a well-crafted lager as opposed to the 'shit' you allude to.

Not a Strongbow fan myself, can stomach the other two if necessary (but never with ice, to put ice in cider is sacrilege to any West Country type). Aren't they all made by the same company anyway? Strongbow certainly used to be made by Bulmers, I remember going on their tour down Hereford way once. And I seem to recall Magners is sold as Bulmers in Ireland.

Weston's Organic would be good, although a couple of them before every game and I'd be struggling to see the centre spot at kick off :clap:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I drink real ale and am in a quandry because as has been said on here before I do not like Harveys either the taste or subscribing to giving them money and when ever I have had Dark Star I have found it rather heavy and in most cases strong. Do they sell a 'session' bitter that is palatable and you are able to have a few pints without getting a thick head.

Just to outrage the cider drinkers I have always found in my pubs that cider drinklers who drank great amounts regularly, have to be very particular about personal hygiene as it tends to get in the pores and when they sweat they smell of stale cider unless they are very careful. I found this particularly with customers who drank Addlestones Cider.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Obviously it'd be good to have some of the away fans' local beer (which they'll get in their end) in our bar too. Needless to say there will be plenty of lager and other drinks available as well!

Ta for the update. But on an away trip one of the pleasures is to drink the local beer. I can't imagine going to say Hartlepool and drinking Dark Star.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I drink real ale and am in a quandry because as has been said on here before I do not like Harveys either the taste or subscribing to giving them money and when ever I have had Dark Star I have found it rather heavy and in most cases strong. Do they sell a 'session' bitter that is palatable and you are able to have a few pints without getting a thick head.

I shouldn't rise to it but - have you thought about bringing a bottle of something you like ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have you tried taking a bottle into a football match or are you a 'stay at home armcahir fan'. I was simply askingthose that know, if Dark Star do a session bitter, not that difficult to answer if you know the answer. I suppose I could get off of the bus to Horsham at the pub in Partridge Green as I believe they own that pub The Partridge?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do they sell a 'session' bitter that is palatable and you are able to have a few pints without getting a thick head.

Wouldn't Hophead be such a beer? They say about it:

An extremely clean-drinking pale golden ale with a strong floral aroma and elderflower notes from the Cascade hops. This beer is full-bodied and full-flavoured yet gentle enough to make it a favourite session beer.

Their site tells you all about their beers, funnily enough.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Well you see the people who drink ale over the years are a large group who have made efforts to get a decent drink in their watering holes whilst in the main lager boys have no discerning palate to talk of so will drink any fizzy crap that gets them pissed. I grant you that companies like Dark Star and Meantime do make Pilsners and a Helles worth drinking but I`m not sure the club will take too much notice of a few straw sucking cider drinkers to stock anything other than one of the big boys.
Whats Stowford Press like as a cider ? You see that around quite a lot.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Attachments

• lager louts.jpg
    lager louts.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 195
  • cider-drinkers.jpg
    cider-drinkers.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 198

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have you tried taking a bottle into a football match or are you a 'stay at home armcahir fan'. I was simply askingthose that know, if Dark Star do a session bitter, not that difficult to answer if you know the answer. I suppose I could get off of the bus to Horsham at the pub in Partridge Green as I believe they own that pub The Partridge?
To answer your question, BG, I don't think they do a session beer. All their beers seem to use very strongly flavoured American hops which make drinking more than a pint or two difficult and they're all 5%

Is there any news on pricing yet? Atilla?

...and going off on a tangent somewhat, are we still going to be allowed lids on our soft drinks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here