Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewards!

Arong692

Oct 2, 2008
Ok then well i dont mind you having a moan as long as you do get behind the team because apart from H block not much of the ground does.

Arong692

Oct 2, 2008
I might ask that steward with the stupid beard if he fancies having it chopped off for charity. It hardly helps his image does it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ok then well i dont mind you having a moan as long as you do get behind the team because apart from H block not much of the ground does.

Igniting this atmosphere agrument further, can I suggest you take yourself down to fratton park one saturday if Brighton are playing too far away and see what kid of noise a group of passionate fans can make.

Over the years, it seems to support Brighton you have to be very "right on" and pc friendly etc. When someone suggests drums, there are moans, when someone suggested a band/trumpeter etc people moaned, when someone suggested more modern music and football type music that is played at premiership grounds, people put on their " we are f***ing Brighton, we dont do entertainment to get the crowd going"....hell when it was suggested a giant scoreboard you should have seen the outcry....

the thing is, we are crap at creating an atmosphere at withdean, mostly because the football is not condusive ( although last night was a great game and people did eventually get behind the team).

Personally, I dont mind drums ( I have seen London Irish at teh Maj and the drummers up there get the crowd going) and so long as you are not sat near them a band is great as we find when watching England! IF people want an atmosphere, you are going to have to have something that creates it....the fans are incapable it appears

BTW personally I would have that Army band playing at the Withdean every week....they were bloody marvellous

In the last couple of weeks I've got the distinct impression that some of the stewards are getting on the job training by imposing themselves on soft targets. Certainly seemed to be the case at the the R&D cup game when the stewards appeared to be unduly on the case of the away fans. Something they didn't dare do at the Leeds or Charlton match. And the lad last night, who was sat directly one row behind me, was guilty of nothing more than being loud on a quiet night. If his mate hadn't said on here that he'd been drinking, you wouldn't have known. He wasn't being lairy, he was just pissed off at our defence rolling over once again. His only crime was being louder than most. Don't think he was even swearing. And the fact that two of the younger stewards were sent up to evict him seems to suggest that they were being given gentle on the job training in how to throw somebody out. Which is not on.

Well, you'd be right to suggest that 'on the job training of young stewards by throwing out a fan' would be "not on", and it's NOT something that is ever DONE either!

Just let's get a couple of other facts out of the way here; The Rushden and Diamonds fans did not have anyone 'unduly' on their case either!
I personally witnessed at close hand, the behavior of the R&D lot who attracted attention - and the Leeds fans did NOT necessitate such attention I can assure you!
It reminds me that non-league and lower-league fans seem to come to cup games with a certain element of trouble-makers - lads who seem to want to 'challenge' the big-time-charlie league club as if they are doing their own bit of giant-killing!
Remember Barnet last season? They got us in the cup before and made trouble, and somehow were given the East Stand again as a courtesy. They gobbed-on, and threw stuff at the Family Stand (at young kids!), and were a right pain in the arse!
R&D had some idiots, and one absolutely demanded attention to the point that he was willing to fight the response stewards!

Do we, and just as importantly, do you want him fighting with YOU, moving to meet YOU outside the ground among the houses and traffic of Withdean (borrowed) Stadium? Haha, great, just like the good old days of a good kicking, some running, some broken bottles, a few cars damaged, and a kicking or two! :thumbsup: Let's 'AVE it! .... or...let's not.

Leeds, en masse, pretty-much knew the drill. They didn't, individually or on the whole, come to Withdean looking to make any trouble. They didn't, from that sadly lacking area of our sadly lacking stadium, want to sit down for the match, but that was about it. Last season I recall one bloke getting into the South Stand though, and when ejected he punched a policewoman :eek: :wrong: I imagine he intended to have some trouble, so he did that rather succinctly just inside the South Stand gates. I doubt he was sent a courtesy ticket for this season's contest though.

Now about the ejected lad - you say he was loud on a quiet night. That reads something like, he was making a noise above the rest of the crowd.
He had also been drinking - a bit of a no-no when attending football at Withdean already! I'm not saying that this lad DESERVED to be ejected by what he was shouting - but stewards look out for people attending the match who are either drunk, or influenced by drink in their behavior.

Now I'm all for stewards explaining to fans, rather than outright ejections - but there are some things that are already explained, and should be self-explanatory anyway. Thus, stewards may feel that they don't need to spend time spelling things out, it's part of the rules that everyone ought to know, and therefore the 'subject' is, preferably, no longer at the game.
Having a drink and going to the football is one thing, having a few and attracting attention is another. Obviously, we are talking about the latter, in this lads' case.
No-one WANTS to see him chucked out.

Arong692

Oct 2, 2008
The thing is i would be for drums everyweek. Its only for 90 minutes. If it helps gets fans and players going then im all for it. Its the miserable people on here who just go to a game slag the players off and dont try and get behind the team who would moan at drums and things like that. They wouldnt possibly want anything to make more noise would they?

Arong692

Oct 2, 2008
Thanks for all your views. I still dont think he deserved to get thrown out but its happend now and im sure he will be back next home game as passionate as ever.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Oh for them days in the North Stand at the Goldstone when the boring fucks sat in the West and South.

Those days when it was OK to have a bit of passion, instead of the sterile atmosphere wanted by that peice of shit known as NMH...?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Just let's get a couple of other facts out of the way here; The Rushden and Diamonds fans did not have anyone 'unduly' on their case either!
I personally witnessed at close hand, the behavior of the R&D lot who attracted attention - and the Leeds fans did NOT necessitate such attention I can assure you!

Do we, and just as importantly, do you want him fighting with YOU, moving to meet YOU outside the ground among the houses and traffic of Withdean (borrowed) Stadium? Haha, great, just like the good old days of a good kicking, some running, some broken bottles, a few cars damaged, and a kicking or two! :thumbsup: Let's 'AVE it! .... or...let's not.

That is not exactly true. I watched the whole thing unfold with the Rushden fans. They weren't doing anything to offend anyone until the stewards decided to get involved. Their only offence was standing up, exactly the same as Leeds were doing. If some of them got a bit lairy after that then it was because the stewards were getting heavy with them trying to make them sit down (all 100 of them).

Had the stewards tried this on with the Leeds fans I'm sure the response would've been slightly more severe. They didn't have the bottle though and decided to save the bully boy tactics to pick on kids for the terrible crime of BAD LANGUAGE. I've heard worse in the school playground than at withdean last night.

As for defending us all from the nasty hoolies, that is the polices job outside the ground isn't it? If you chuck someone out they can still go and hit someone outside

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Yes i do sit in H block. The reason i sit there is because i want to have a good laugh making some atmosphere and get behind the team! Then miserable fu.cks like withdean wanderer who proabably sit there all game with there flask just complain why we dont win at home! If you tried to make some atmosphere the players might acutually respond! All im saying is the stewards just dont allow any kind of atmosphere to be produced!

Good for you mate! Well said about the Withdean Wankers as well! :clap2::clap2:

That is not exactly true. I watched the whole thing unfold with the Rushden fans. They weren't doing anything to offend anyone until the stewards decided to get involved. Their only offence was standing up, exactly the same as Leeds were doing. If some of them got a bit lairy after that then it was because the stewards were getting heavy with them trying to make them sit down (all 100 of them).

Had the stewards tried this on with the Leeds fans I'm sure the response would've been slightly more severe. They didn't have the bottle though and decided to save the bully boy tactics to pick on kids for the terrible crime of BAD LANGUAGE. I've heard worse in the school playground than at withdean last night.

As for defending us all from the nasty hoolies, that is the polices job outside the ground isn't it? If you chuck someone out they can still go and hit someone outside

And you observed that from where?

And yes, anyone can go hitting anyone outside the ground and have to face the police consequences. Still doesn't mean they are desirable inside the ground for the match.
The troubled gobby types tend to completely simmer down and become friendly once they're away from their mates.

Here's some footage of an away-stand steward talking to the lad who was thrown out at the R&D match;

[yt]CUmTVO8MVK4[/yt]

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
We got moved to the back of j block last night because we got told we could stand there the steward was a nice as pie!:clap2:

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
That would be pretty funny if it did turn out that he sat in H block. Im not sure were you were sitting ringleader but H block the stewards were awful like usual!

I sit in H.

and why would it be funny exactly? :shrug:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
That would be pretty funny if it did turn out that he sat in H block. Im not sure were you were sitting ringleader but H block the stewards were awful like usual!

I do.

I even sometimes stand.

I just don't get in a tardy argument every f***ing week with the stewards - if they say sit down, i sit. If they don't, I stand.

Simple.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
The FACT is that the stewards at Withdean are pathetic.
I have been to loads of away games over the years and i rate our stewards right up there with the worst.
They are quite happy to try and make 20 Rushden fans sit down but if its Millwall or Leeds they are non existant.
I actually praise all those in H Block for trying to create an atmosphere and they in my opinion are doing no harm if they want to stand.
Just remember that most games there are about 3 thousand empty seats so if you are not happy move to another block.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here