Stewards!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The FACT is that the stewards at Withdean are pathetic.

I really do not like to speak bad about anyone.

Such contridiction in a mere 23 minutes !

It's very simple :

> Don't use abuse language
> Don't turn up drunk
> Sit down when asked and stand when something exciting happens ( I know that's rare at the moment ! )

Then the stewards will leave you alone. Personally I go to the match to watch the football and support the team - I hardly notice the stewards apart from a brief chat when I arrive. Really can't see what everyone is getting so irrate about !

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I realize this will not be a popular post with all people, but I'm going to put it to you for consideration;

A man goes to a public social gathering where there are other men, as well as women and children. It doesn't have to be church - this could be at one of a variety of entertainment venues - a nightclub, concert, olympic basketball...take your pick.
Said male happens to have been drinking, and is loudly shouting, angrily at the entertainment, he is also gesticulating and shouting at some other area of the public - rudely and aggressively. His state is obtrusive, probably because he has been drinking.

When the word 'antisocial' comes in, is it not reasonable to say that term suggests; 'to work against a social gathering' ?
Where in any social gathering, is it completely acceptable, and which of the above mentioned gatherings deems it so?
Even in a pub, where drinking is actually encouraged and made readily available - is it acceptable to shout at, say the dart players, aggressively?
How about the pool table - walk up to the players and shout "wankers" at them for missing a shot?
At a night club, where you paid to get in, and it's acceptable to drink - is it okay to shout aggressively, and act somewhat 'over the top'? (without necessarily trying to aggravate and goad another group of people)

Many of you will have answered these questions in your own minds already, but I'll ask a vital last question all the same;

Why at a football match?

Yet you seem to think it perfectly acceptable to be as downright obnoxious as you can be on this social gathering where absolutely anyone with an internet access can read it i.e NSC. It's in print and anonymous rather than face to face but does that make it any more acceptable?

And you observed that from where?

And every thread where the stewards are mentioned you pop up like the proverbial bad penny. Did you witness all the incidents that you feel the need to give an opinion on?

*awaits the usual bluster and homophobic abuse from the bigot who can't see the irony in the fact that one of his jobs is to prevent bigotry from being spouted on the terraces*

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

It's very simple :

> Don't turn up drunk
> Sit down when asked and stand when something exciting happens ( I know that's rare at the moment ! )

Then the stewards will leave you alone. Personally I go to the match to watch the football and support the team - I hardly notice the stewards apart from a brief chat when I arrive. Really can't see what everyone is getting so irrate about !

That's not a contradiction at all. What was a contradiction is the comparative stewarding of the Leeds and R&D fans. Agree with your 3 rules for a hassle-free game though.

Yet you seem to think it perfectly acceptable to be as downright obnoxious as you can be on this social gathering where absolutely anyone with an internet access can read it i.e NSC. It's in print and anonymous rather than face to face but does that make it any more acceptable?

And every thread where the stewards are mentioned you pop up like the proverbial bad penny. Did you witness all the incidents that you feel the need to give an opinion on?

*awaits the usual bluster and homophobic abuse from the bigot who can't see the irony in the fact that one of his jobs is to prevent bigotry from being spouted on the terraces*

Lots of issues there son, and the projections could touch the moon.
You have been a poor, sorry, hard done by person by getting banned from the Sportsman for your incredibly poor behaviour - so precious about taking off a hat.
If your kid got hurt and it was on CCTV you'd be asking why no-one could identify the perp. because it was a 'hoodie' - but you think you should be exempt from doffing the headwear! Precious pratt.

Why do I 'pop up' when someone mentions stewards? Ohh, Sherlock, you have to dig very deep to figure that one out! You don't know who else is a steward on NSC though, do you?

Funny - my job assignment that very evening you have singled out, was to witness and make notes on every incident and ejection! Bad luck me old china twat, must try harder (tell Muttley your double-drats!)

b-bye now! :laugh: :wave:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Lots of issues there son, and the projections could touch the moon.
You have been a poor, sorry, hard done by person by getting banned from the Sportsman for your incredibly poor behaviour - so precious about taking off a hat.
If your kid got hurt and it was on CCTV you'd be asking why no-one could identify the perp. because it was a 'hoodie' - but you think you should be exempt from doffing the headwear! Precious pratt.

Why do I 'pop up' when someone mentions stewards? Ohh, Sherlock, you have to dig very deep to figure that one out! You don't know who else is a steward on NSC though, do you?

Funny - my job assignment that very evening you have singled out, was to witness and make notes on every incident and ejection! Bad luck me old china twat, must try harder (tell Muttley your double-drats!)

b-bye now! :laugh: :wave:

I'm not banned from there, Sonny Jim (I too can play the patronising card). Sorry but just because you wish something doesn't make it happen.

Did you answer my point about the gulf between you lecturing people about social norms and your behaviour on here?

No.

And you appeared to miss the subtle reference to the fact that you were rebuking someone for commenting on an incident they didn't witness, yet how many times have you given your opinions on stewarding incidents you have absolutely no first hand ......

You get the picture. You bore me with your smileys, your bigotry and your crap youtube hotlinks no-one watches. Anyway. I'm off out with family and friends. They kind of act as a substitute for being a real man with no chums or family like you.

Ta-ra.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
No the asked us after we had been standing because the team had been attacking!

I have not read any further than page 1 on this thread / subject, but as some will know on here, my wife always comes to the games, she is only 5ft tall and when you get people constantly standing, she cant see a damn thing !!!! it is really annoying for her (and me!!) some people are just really selfish and dont care about others.

And we do try and sit in areas to the side for example, but that is not always possible, and on many occasions people still insist on standing up, a couple of seasons ago at Preston, I nearly had a fight with 3 lads over this, they were rude, and ignorant about the fact my wife could not see as they were standing, I have to be honest, I made them move away !!! but thats really not the way it should be.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
I have not read any further than page 1 on this thread / subject, but as some will know on here, my wife always comes to the games, she is only 5ft tall and when you get people constantly standing, she cant see a damn thing !!!! it is really annoying for her (and me!!) some people are just really selfish and dont care about others.

And we do try and sit in areas to the side for example, but that is not always possible, and on many occasions people still insist on standing up, a couple of seasons ago at Preston, I nearly had a fight with 3 lads over this, they were rude, and ignorant about the fact my wife could not see as they were standing, I have to be honest, I made them move away !!! but thats really not the way it should be.

Football is ruined by the minority few who act like idiots. Always has been the way, always will be unless people learn to respect others... which wont happen, as you say, people are selfish.

I've stopped goin to withdean anyway due to the moaning, unforgiving, judgemental, and frankly rude fans. Its not somewhere I would take a child either, which is keeping much needed bums off seats. And I go to many football grounds, withdean is one of the worst IMHO.

So yes people should get warned, and possibly kicked out for behaving badly in football grounds. Not beacuse you're being outragously awful or doing anything illegal but because a football ground is full of people including kids who have paid good money to attend, and don't want to put up with people behaving like idiots.

Its simple mate if you don't wanna come back don't because I wouldn't expect the majority of fans who attend want you there anyway. Theres always one idiot within a few rows of a STH seat. You're probably it

Arong692

Oct 2, 2008
Phillgull, Tell me what i have done to act like an idiot. I just think that the club is divided by 2 sets of fans. The fans who try to make a good atmosphere and get behind the players and then the ones who sit on there anal all game moaning about near enough anything they can.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Phillgull, Tell me what i have done to act like an idiot. I just think that the club is divided by 2 sets of fans. The fans who try to make a good atmosphere and get behind the players and then the ones who sit on there anal all game moaning about near enough anything they can.

coming back to your previous argument, assuming there are roughly 5,500 fans at most games, H/J block holds possibly 500 odd people? in there , somewhere around 40% want to "sing" constantly....so that is 200 people out of 5,500!

Has it occurred to you that not everyone wants to shout and swear at the top of their voices. there are actually some of us, who sit and watch, yes shout and encourage when it is needed, but dont actually want to sing anti stewards/ anti palace songs?

Now maybe its because you are young ( you didnt actually say how old you are, but i think most people have worked that out) BUT when I was young shouting and singing was part of my matchday experience....myself and certainly those who sit around us do not see that, and they dont sit and moan.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
and to answer PHILLGULL's point, I wonder if the parents of these foul mouthed children in H/J block that seem to have gathered there the last couple of years know that their offspring think it funny to yell C**T at the top of their voices. Or maybe they do that when watching tv at home with their parents?

I would not bring a child to the football and sit anywhere near I sit either

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
and to answer PHILLGULL's point, I wonder if the parents of these foul mouthed children in H/J block that seem to have gathered there the last couple of years know that their offspring think it funny to yell C**T at the top of their voices. Or maybe they do that when watching tv at home with their parents?

I would not bring a child to the football and sit anywhere near I sit either

The trouble is when we do get to Falmer, the atmosphere won't be much better, because, the fans at Withdean now seem to be either hyper critical or intent on swearing at every opportunity and the supposed thousands of extra fans that we will need to come to help fill the ground are not generally hardcore football supporters otherwise they would already be coming to watch the club.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
The trouble is when we do get to Falmer, the atmosphere won't be much better, because, the fans at Withdean now seem to be either hyper critical or intent on swearing at every opportunity and the supposed thousands of extra fans that we will need to come to help fill the ground are not generally hardcore football supporters otherwise they would already be coming to watch the club.

It is quite simple, good consistant results will produce a good atmosphere and attitude with the fans, wherever a game is played.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
I think when Falmer comes, the 'singing section' if there must be one should be behind the goal, much like the Kop at Liverpool or the Boothen End at Stoke. What we really don't want is a singing section right next to the away supporters, anyone who has been to Reading will know why!

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston

It's very simple :

> Don't turn up drunk

It wasnt a contradiction and please feel free next time to use the whole quote.
The facts are,at the Rushden game there was over 5000 empty seats.I sat in G Block on that game which had no more than 50 people in the entire block.H Block had no more than 200 and they were towards the back of the stand and well out of the way.
They were the only people in the entire ground trying to create an atmosphere during a dire game played in appalling weather,yet the stewards would just not leave them alone.I find the stewarding pathetic when they allow the likes of Leeds, Millwall, Colchester etc to stand yet they make H Bloke or Rushden, Yeovil etc try to sit.
If rules are rules they should be the same for everyone.
And did the stewards report or try to confront the Colchester substitutes on friday night?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It wasnt a contradiction and please feel free next time to use the whole quote.
The facts are,at the Rushden game there was over 5000 empty seats.I sat in G Block on that game which had no more than 50 people in the entire block.H Block had no more than 200 and they were towards the back of the stand and well out of the way.
They were the only people in the entire ground trying to create an atmosphere during a dire game played in appalling weather,yet the stewards would just not leave them alone.I find the stewarding pathetic when they allow the likes of Leeds, Millwall, Colchester etc to stand yet they make H Bloke or Rushden, Yeovil etc try to sit.
If rules are rules they should be the same for everyone.
And did the stewards report or try to confront the Colchester substitutes on friday night?

I quoted the key parts of your posts. In one you mention you don't like to bad mouth people and in the other you call the stewards pathetic - I would suggest you don't understand the meaning of the word contadict if you can't see it in your posts. The rest of your two posts had no relavence to your contradiction.

I couldn't give a monkeys if the away fans stand or not - I'm there to support the team and watch the so called football. Singing anti-Palace songs or steward baiting are NOT supporting the team - only brainless twats would particpate in those activities. For once Withdean Wanderer and I agree !!!

Dandyman

In London village.
And on a different note...top marks to the steward who made the offer of a different seating arrangement to me and my mates in J block on Friday. it showed that there are stewards with brains and was appreciated.:thumbsup:

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate

Just because there are alot of people, I would say the majority of fans who go these days want to sit for the majority of games. With all due respect, which is lettle considering you have come on a website shouting your mouth off, you are the selfish minority.

And just because people want to sit doesnt mean they don't contribute to the atmosphere. Thats just a riddiculos view imho. There are a small amount of fans who sit and moan and a small amount that stand and shout. Neither contribute more to a 'friendly' atmosphere just try to intimidate others. Be oposition fans or players or even their teams players or manager.

In general all seater stadiums allow for a 'friendlier' atmosphere but the limited capacity and design of the site dont let us stick you lot out the way for everyone else to enjoy the football and support the team like most people want to. In a way that allows everyone to enjoy it and not just you. Shame

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
And on a different note...top marks to the steward who made the offer of a different seating arrangement to me and my mates in J block on Friday. it showed that there are stewards with brains and was appreciated.:thumbsup:

Personally never had bad experiences of the stewards, all seem good natured and are doing a job that benifits the club. Fans that act negatively towards them and take their frustrations out on them are frankly wrong.

In most cases they don't have a choice and are acting with regards to their employers requests.

My partner works on the turnstiles at Chelsea with her family volintarily to be able to watch the game. They get alot of abuse from ignorant fans who frankly don'y knw any better. Despite the fact that they generally have no choice but to do certain things under their employers request. And when you do abuse stewards or any other matchday staff your just making their job less enjoyable and your abuse will fall on death ears

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
I refuse to go to the withdean anymore. The stewards are kicking anyone out who tries to get the fans going. They should really think about treating the away fans the same! bunch of wa.nkers!

Just pathetic. Not coming to support your team because you're scared of the stewards. No wonder our home support is piss poor

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports