Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Standing in the North Stand

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Exactly , fans need to know that they are not breaking the law , they are breaking ground regulations.

...... not a criminal offence but that doesnt mean acting legally. The club in allowing standing risks having its licence and ultimately league membership revoked but maybe that isnt a concern for "fans".
You may however commit a civil offence and certainly stand (see what I did there?) to lose your season ticket. ???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Could you point to some evidence to confirm this please? I may be wrong, but i'm not aware of any incidents of this. Some clubs have been punished for persistently standing in the AISLES.

Manchester United fans angry over ticket allocation for potential title decider at Sunderland - Telegraph

"persistent standing and bad behaviour"

Liverpool Reduce Uniteds Away Allocation, Manchester City aggressively cut United away ticket allocation due to ‘Persistent Standing’ Ramble United
"Manchester City, Sunderland and Bolton are amongst the clubs to have already reduced our away allocation for persistent standing. "

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Are you a sth in the North Stand and do you stand throughout the game?

I'm not a STH, but I have been in the North Stand and stood. Last few times I've been in the East and sat throughout the game, personally I found the experience very depressing (I was talking in little more than a whisper) and I would hate it if the ground were all like that.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Could you point to some evidence to confirm this please? I may be wrong, but i'm not aware of any incidents of this. Some clubs have been punished for persistently standing in the AISLES.
Last season , Sunderland v Man United. This season Blackpool v Leeds United. I could dig out lots more games if you wish

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
NO IT DOESN'T!!!!!

The Taylor report states that Clubs in the Championship must provide all-seated stadia within 3 years of promotion.

There is NO criminal law banning individuals from standing within a stadium. The Taylor Report states that clubs in the top two divisions in England must provide seats, not that the supporters must sit in them...

Even the Department of Culture, Media & Sport acknowledge that..."At no point has it
been argued that the individual spectator commits a criminal offence by standing in a seated
area"

The law is that supporters should not persistently stand in an all seater stadium whilst "play is in progress".

More details can be found at the link below

http://www.fsf.org.uk/assets/Uploads/Legalities-of-standing.pdf

thank you for clarifying so eloquently and in such detail and (extreme pedantry aside) endorsing my comments entirely.
It isnt an option for the club as the law stands and it certainly isnt worth losing your seat for.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There you go, it's been, what over twenty years and the penalties for persistent standing make UEFA's stance on racism look positively Draconian.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Makes no difference if I sit or stand as the bloke in front of me is 7ft tall! In all fairness I do stand at the back as I am in the last two rows only because others in front of me stand, i.e 7ft tall man! No win situation really.....I would happily sit but those around me of the safe standing persuasion would have an eppy fit... No point in loosing your season ticket, if you are that much enraged just sit there in silence..............

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
NO IT DOESN'T!!!!!

The Taylor report states that Clubs in the Championship must provide all-seated stadia within 3 years of promotion.

There is NO criminal law banning individuals from standing within a stadium. The Taylor Report states that clubs in the top two divisions in England must provide seats, not that the supporters must sit in them...

Even the Department of Culture, Media & Sport acknowledge that..."At no point has it
been argued that the individual spectator commits a criminal offence by standing in a seated
area"

The law is that supporters should not persistently stand in an all seater stadium whilst "play is in progress".

More details can be found at the link below

http://www.fsf.org.uk/assets/Uploads/Legalities-of-standing.pdf

The ground regulations state that no-one is allowed to stand in a seating area while the game is in progress. It goes on to say that persistent standing in a seated area is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection. So the two things contradict each other, if no-one can stand that should be the end of it, the persistent standing regulation is not required. It's not a law and never has been, its a condition of entry you agree to when purchasing tickets.

From the uefa website

10. Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated
areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground.

At the very top of the page it says this

Notice: Entry to the Ground is expressly subject to acceptance by the visitor of these Ground Regulations and the rules and regulations of FIFA, UEFA, The Football Association, The F.A. Premier League and The Football League in respect of the relevant competition. The Ground Regulations incorporate the Club's Customer Charter (if any). Entry to the Ground shall constitute acceptance of the Ground Regulations.

I couldn't find the ground regulations on the FL website. However it does say on there that the ground regulations should be displayed at every entrance to the ground and wherever tickets can be purchased, including online. I cannot find any mention of the ground regulations on either the main website or the ticketing one.

So if the club are trying to enforce the no standing regulation they are failing to provide proper notice of the very regulations they are trying to enforce.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
...... not a criminal offence but that doesnt mean acting legally. The club in allowing standing risks having its licence and ultimately league membership revoked but maybe that isnt a concern for "fans".
You may however commit a civil offence and certainly stand (see what I did there?) to lose your season ticket. ???

Every club in the Premier League and the Championship are in the same position of having their safety certificate withdrawn or league membership revoked for persistent standing but it will never happen.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton

So by restricting the away ticket allocation, away fans find ways of getting tickets in home sections. I love the joined up thinking of the football authorities!

We stood for the whole game at Palace and the whole game at Charlton, no one died, no one was hurt, what is the problem?

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Spoke to a good friend of mine today who's had his ban overturned for so called inciting the crowd in the north stand,all north stand season ticket holders will shortly be receiving a letter from the club telling them what's expected of the fans in terms of behaviour and standing rules.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
That sounds a bit pompous. Do you really think we will have our League membership revoked ?

do you really think the club can or will just ignore the law for the benefit of a very few fans? That surely is pompous.

The problem is the few fans are forcing the club to respond in accordance with the legal situation. If they shut up and carried on there would be no pressure to react but by making a loud nouse on the issue the club's hands have been forced. Laughable really. :lolol: ???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We stood for the whole game at Palace and the whole game at Charlton, no one died, no one was hurt, what is the problem?
You're breaking the rules :lolol: People who know better than you are upset you have made an informed judgement on risk assessment :lol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spoke to a good friend of mine today who's had his ban overturned for so called inciting the crowd in the north stand,all north stand season ticket holders will shortly be receiving a letter from the club telling them what's expected of the fans in terms of behaviour and standing rules.

Is that the chap who was thrown out at the last game?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Has the female steward been sacked for lying ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here