Standing in the North Stand

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
until there is a sign, clear to me, stating i can not stand at anytime in the seated area, i will continue to stand when i feel im doing no harm and not affecting any other supporters views of the match.

How about notes in a programme?

Or a steward telling you personally?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Several users need to re-read Bozza's post, and take his advice IMO.

Alternatively we should set up a North Stand eviction sweepstake before 3pm tomorrow.

i'll start with 15

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
until there is a sign, clear to me, stating i can not stand at anytime in the seated area, i will continue to stand when i feel im doing no harm and not affecting any other supporters views of the match. can some tell me the problem with that? when i want to sit, i shall sit, when i want to stand, i will stand. if i turn up at a game, and i have a child behind me seated, i will sit, it would be annoying, but i would as i remember the days wen it was roles reversed.

There is, on the wall, as you go in the north east corner turnstiles, entitled Ground Regulations.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
NO IT DOESN'T!!!!!

The Taylor report states that Clubs in the Championship must provide all-seated stadia within 3 years of promotion.

There is NO criminal law banning individuals from standing within a stadium. The Taylor Report states that clubs in the top two divisions in England must provide seats, not that the supporters must sit in them...

Even the Department of Culture, Media & Sport acknowledge that..."At no point has it
been argued that the individual spectator commits a criminal offence by standing in a seated
area"

The law is that supporters should not persistently stand in an all seater stadium whilst "play is in progress".

More details can be found at the link below

http://www.fsf.org.uk/assets/Uploads/Legalities-of-standing.pdf
Exactly , fans need to know that they are not breaking the law , they are breaking ground regulations.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
NO IT DOESN'T!!!!!

The Taylor report states that Clubs in the Championship must provide all-seated stadia within 3 years of promotion.

There is NO criminal law banning individuals from standing within a stadium. The Taylor Report states that clubs in the top two divisions in England must provide seats, not that the supporters must sit in them...

Even the Department of Culture, Media & Sport acknowledge that..."At no point has it
been argued that the individual spectator commits a criminal offence by standing in a seated
area"

The law is that supporters should not persistently stand in an all seater stadium whilst "play is in progress".

Ahhhhhhhhhhh now that's makes more sense.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
But say if a premiership team gets demoted in two seasons to diversion one how has that changed ? .

Again like I said I am not an expert, maybe lower league clubs do not have high attendances. I do not know. I watch lower league football as well and yes you can stand, again the same for when we are away. I would be in favour of standing, as I think it does make a difference to the atmosphere.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Perhaps the club should encourage standing....the old double bluff....you can see the more millitant amongst us demanding that they be allowed to sit, since they have paid for a seat.

:lolol:

I sit in the North Stand in Row J - a fair way in front of "the back of the North Stand". For most of the game, the folk around me are sitting, but when things get exciting on the pitch, we stand. I would estimate that standing during the first half of the game (when the Albion are creating the excitement at the far end), there are probably about half a dozen occasions when I'm on my feet - and each of these occasions lasts between 15 seconds and 1 minute. In the second half, there is about three times as much standing in my area - since the exciting Albion-led action is closer to us. Sometimes we are on our feet for about a minute, sometimes for about 5 minutes.

None of this seems to me to be against the spirit of what is intended by the Club. If, tomorrow, there is any sort of tightening up of the "rules" as they apply to Northstanders in my area, I can only imagine that people will feel pissed off. Even from the point of view of people with gammy legs around me, there is nothing wrong with the way things have been dealt with by fans and stewards since the stadium opened.

Let's keep it like that.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I don't think the club consider the back four rows of the north stand a "large section of our support" do you? Max 200 fans, 100 per row.

I'm talking about the entire North Stand, so that's about 2,500 people. The majority of the people in there would stand all game if given their choice. And for the remaining 20,000 in the ground, i bet the majority of these people would also prefer an all-standing North Stand... it's not much fun listening to the players shout to each other as we all sit in silence watching on.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Standing isnt allowed .. what is excepted and is UNWRITTEN is that it is almost impossible to enforce. . You can't exactly eject a whole area of people for standing if that area becomes united in their approach and do not budge. What happens is that stewards will try and enforce and perhaps eject the odd one hoping that the rest will obey. At the end of the day the stewrds can't be arsed to get the aggrevation (they don't get paid enough) so let standing take place ,apart from those career mined stewrds who want to enforce .
Yes, I agree. I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but the end result of all the pontificating is the boots-on-the-ground fact that standing is allowed. Those who say it isn't are flying in the face of reality and hope that by denying it and waving a, metaphorical, piece of paper they can change the facts. Didn't work for Chamberlain after Munich and it ain't working now!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
NO IT DOESN'T!!!!!

area"

thank you for clarifying so eloquently and in such detail and (extreme pedantry aside) endorsing my comments entirely.
It isnt an option for the club as the law stands and it certainly isnt worth losing your seat for.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, I agree. I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but the end result of all the pontificating is the boots-on-the-ground fact that standing is allowed. Those who say it isn't are flying in the face of reality and hope that by denying it and waving a, metaphorical, piece of paper they can change the facts. Didn't work for Chamberlain after Munich and it ain't working now!

Are you a sth in the North Stand and do you stand throughout the game?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
AFAIK they haven't withdrawn a safety certificate from a Premier League or Championship club , what has happened is away fans allocations have been cut for persistent standing at some clubs.

Could you point to some evidence to confirm this please? I may be wrong, but i'm not aware of any incidents of this. Some clubs have been punished for persistently standing in the AISLES.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm talking about the entire North Stand, so that's about 2,500 people. The majority of the people in there would stand all game if given their choice. And for the remaining 20,000 in the ground, i bet the majority of these people would also prefer an all-standing North Stand... it's not much fun listening to the players shout to each other as we all sit in silence watching on.

Ok, although i don't agree with your figure, lets just says it is the majority of the north stand, this being 2000 of the 2,500.
Its still less than 10% of the number of fans attending each home game. 10% is not "large section of our support".
Hence why the club don't view it as important as those affected do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports