Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skalak

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
As the OP I feel I should qualify my post; I think Skalak is going to be a class player for us and he has already shown glimpses of that. He had two bad moments in front of goal which I am more than prepared to forgive him for as we were already 4 goals to the good. That said, I wonder if the admirable defence of JS on this thread would have been quite so emphatic if we had been a goal down. #just saying.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
As the OP I feel I should qualify my post; I think Skalak is going to be a class player for us and he has already shown glimpses of that. He had two bad moments in front of goal which I am more than prepared to forgive him for as we were already 4 goals to the good. That said, I wonder if the admirable defence of JS on this thread would have been quite so emphatic if we had been a goal down. #just saying.

I don't think he would have had that opportunity if we were chasing a goal, Zamora would have come on instead of Wilson and Skalak would have been on the wing instead of down the middle like last night. In the end he was our only threat at the end as Wilson was wandering around the touchline area doing nothing leaving Skalak as our sole attacker.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Its a good point.

For the record I think he looks a promising prospect, but had we been chasing an equaliser or a winner, he'd be getting a few more pelters that's for sure.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was more impressed with the Jiri attempt to score than the second goal.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
in what way?

In a one on one to beat the keeper, it looked done and dusted, whereas the second goal was flukey.

Both were short of PL standard.

The best way is to shoot, on a one on one, with a curl past the keeper. I daresay neither Baldock and Skalak were not up to this.

It is the difference between willing a Cup Final (shooting low near the keeper's body is not good enough to win a Final), or avoiding going out of the Football League (Craig Maskell curled the ball around the keeper and on to the post).

Circumstances sometimes dictate shooting first is not best*. Vardy tends to hit them accurately with power with the pace to line up the angles nicely. Peter Ward used to hit the ball quick and hard (more like Vardy) and relied on his quick reactions which not not so much quicker the higher up the Leagues, although still quite good in the old Division One. (*sometime depends on if the ball falls onto the stronger foot of the striker.)

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
He looks like a player with bags of potential and is really keen to impress. But maybe he's too keen to impress and he's putting extra pressure on himself. Getting his first goal will help a lot, and he had a great chance to get it. But he'll get more chances.

I'm disappointed that he didn't bury the chance, as it was a great chance to round of a brilliant night for the Albion. But I'll keep the faith and hope he gets his goal soon. Being over critical isn't going to help him. At least he's playing with desire and getting into good positions.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I just don't get why people are saying he 'looks like he's got bags of potential'.
So far he's done very little and made a p*ss poor attempt to score last night . That said he hasn't been on much.
I'm not saying he's necessarily a duffer, but why would anyone think that (so far) he's going to be a big success? Where's the evidence beyond dreamy thinking?

Remember, Knockaert came in, and immediately looked brilliant - it can be done.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The best way is to shoot, on a one on one, with a curl past the keeper. I daresay neither Baldock and Skalak were not up to this.
Baldock didn't have control of the ball (it was getting away from him), he couldn't shoot with any power so tried to lay it off.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Had he of scored, I reckon he would of of jumped into the north stand ! Got to admire his enthusiasm ! Seems really keen to make an impression, he will come good !

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I thought he was going to do a GOTSMANOV.

But he just ran out of talent at the crucial moment.

Have watched this over and over again, several things strike me - firstly an excellent through ball by Bruno and a perfectly timed run by Skalak, who then has the talent to send the keeper to ground, wrong footing him, despite Skalak slipping slightly on the turf (watch the Sky highlights at 4:38), he is then flattened from behind by the Leeds defender, just as he has teed himself up to stroke into what was now an empty net.

I suggest had that challenge happened on the half way line Skalak would have got a free kick and the way the ref had started dishing out yellows like sweeties, Leeds player would have got a nice card too.

Skalak does look a little over keen and desperate to impress - but do you blame him, with the squad we have and the players on the bench, it is great to see someone who wants to play and not just sit warming their arse and taking the money like many have done before!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have watched this over and over again, several things strike me - firstly an excellent through ball by Bruno and a perfectly timed run by Skalak, who then has the talent to send the keeper to ground, wrong footing him, despite Skalak slipping slightly on the turf (watch the Sky highlights at 4:38), he is then flattened from behind by the Leeds defender, just as he has teed himself up to stroke into what was now an empty net.

I suggest had that challenge happened on the half way line Skalak would have got a free kick and the way the ref had started dishing out yellows like sweeties, Leeds player would have got a nice card too.

Skalak does look a little over keen and desperate to impress - but do you blame him, with the squad we have and the players on the bench, it is great to see someone who wants to play and not just sit warming their arse and taking the money like many have done before!

Same - doesn't deserve the stick he is getting. Clattered from behind after wrong-footing the keeper.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I just don't get why people are saying he 'looks like he's got bags of potential'.
So far he's done very little and made a p*ss poor attempt to score last night . That said he hasn't been on much.
I'm not saying he's necessarily a duffer, but why would anyone think that (so far) he's going to be a big success? Where's the evidence beyond dreamy thinking?

Remember, Knockaert came in, and immediately looked brilliant - it can be done.

Knockhaert is proven in this country, that's why he's come in and looked brilliant. If Skalak had come in and made that impact then we wouldn't be saying he had potential, we'd be saying how good he was. I put in my post what I thought the good things were.

You can't really compare him to Knockhaert, they're at different stages of their career. I guess it's about focusing on the positives, sometimes it's a fine line between average and brilliant. If you only saw him in the Cardiff game you'd probably say Knockhaert was average.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

I've watched it through a ton of times too and I don't think it was a pen at all. Have a look at this in slow motion (click on the settings wheel and change the speed to 0.25)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmL_FQl8uPM

He fluffed the chance and chopped the ball a yard too far wide, directly into the path of Bamba. Bamba just maintains his run and shrugs off an already off-balance Skalak with his shoulder.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
How can you possibly judge him on the game against Cardiff and 20 mins on Monday in a game that was already won when he came on. In the Cardiff game I thought he was one of the few positives. Clearly has a quality delivery. On Monday he made 2-3 very good runs that got him in behind the backline. As some have said he may be trying a bit too hard but loads of strikers mess up 1 on 1's when they have so much time. I can't see him getting too many chances this season but think he can make an impact when he does. Let's not be too quick to judge.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I've watched it through a ton of times too and I don't think it was a pen at all. Have a look at this in slow motion (click on the settings wheel and change the speed to 0.25)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmL_FQl8uPM

He fluffed the chance and chopped the ball a yard too far wide, directly into the path of Bamba. Bamba just maintains his run and shrugs off an already off-balance Skalak with his shoulder.

I agree that it wasn't a penalty. Skalak was already off balance and Bamba simply got between him and the ball and then used his strength to put Skalak on the floor.

He's not the first player to miss a sitter, and he won't be the last. It's easy to forgive because we were 4-0 up at the time. I still think Skalak has potential, mainly because of his desire and from the brief time we've seen him on the pitch. I'm forgetting the Cardiff game, as it's hard to show your ability in a game where everyone was poor. He'll get another chance, and hopefully he'll take it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Way to early to make a judgement. But at this stage, there is no way that I would kick Kaz off the bench to accommodate Jiri.

Many have stated that Jiri needs time to settle in and acclimatise and I totally agree. Until he does, it's Kaz on the bench for me every time.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Way to early to make a judgement. But at this stage, there is no way that I would kick Kaz off the bench to accommodate Jiri.

Many have stated that Jiri needs time to settle in and acclimatise and I totally agree. Until he does, it's Kaz on the bench for me every time.

A thousand percent this . Kaz must be livid

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here