Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Savage and Roberts could not be more wrong on show boating debate.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Better that Savage and Roberts concentrate on matters like cutting out diving which is far more serious than doing something that is within the laws of the game. Respect for your opponents? DO NOT DIVE THEN. Now a 'tough' tackle on a player after he has dived earlier does give some sort retribution - but that is as far as it should go.
Note that George Best and other skilful wingers played against Tommy Smith and Norman Hunter, they did not hide and still survived. Good luck to 'showboaters' as they need their skill to keep out of trouble afterwards.
Another 'ball-sitter', incidentally, was Alan Ball playing for Arsenal at Bramhall Lane - a skilful and hard player who would not start something that he couldn't finish.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What's wrong with a bit of showboating / goading? Pulling up your socks in jest is not against the rules of the game, and on that basis Savage and Roberts are wrong to suggest meting out 'natural justice' is somehow acceptable.

Personally, I love a bit of showboating and piss-taking. One of my favourite football moments was Gazza doing a 360 degrees dragback circle 'round a flat-footed Vinnie Jones for Spurs vs Sheff Utd. To hear 40,000 fans laughing at the same time at a football match is quite surreal.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What's wrong with a bit of showboating / goading? Pulling up your socks in jest is not against the rules of the game, and on that basis Savage and Roberts are wrong to suggest meting out 'natural justice' is somehow acceptable.

Personally, I love a bit of showboating and piss-taking. One of my favourite football moments was Gazza doing a 360 degrees dragback circle 'round a flat-footed Vinnie Jones for Spurs vs Sheff Utd. To hear 40,000 fans laughing at the same time at a football match is quite surreal.

Would love to see that. Got a you tube link ? I've tried and can't find it.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea

Absolutely This.

If anything we need more showboating. It looks cool (most of the time), annoys your opponents into playing worse / commiting stupid fouls and entertains the crowd.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
And I have to say that there have only ever been 2 players that I have watched live that have given me the tingle down the spine sensation that comes with the expectation of something special about to happen on a football pitch........Mr Best and Mr Ward

Not Monsieur Cantona? Ah but you're a seagull...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

One of the best characters I saw for exhibition stuff played for Albion towards the end ogf his career. The brilliant Dennis (Denny) Mundee.

I remember after Mundee signed for Albion after a row led to him leaving Brentford, they did a story in the "Argus" about his "twiddle", the step-over which was rare in the English game then. Now at least one player in every team features it. Mundee claimed he learned it off Glenn Roeder when he was an apprentice at QPR.

Surprised Charlie Oatway never tried it.

Precisely. Show boating is disrespectful but if you're outright taking the piss then it shouldn't be too much of a shock if you get a kicking.

Rubbish - if a player 'showboats' or outright takes the piss, then they are the ones sticking their necks out....but only to be put in their place by footballing means if the opposition can manage it. Otherwise, they are simply not good enough and are open to be humiliated. It's a profession, a sport, and time for Savage to recognize that it's still just cards above table - nothing wrong with a bit of extra entertainment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here