Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Savage and Roberts could not be more wrong on show boating debate.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Anyone been listening to the "show boating" debate on 5 live?

For those who've missed it, Jason Roberts slammed a caller yesterday for daring to defend Jimmy Kebe, the Reading player who "show boated," when they were 2 nil up v West Ham. The caller then dared to question Robert's view that any player doing that should be "taken out." Savage then piled in saying he'd "smash" any show boating player. Ditto other professionals today.

This attitude sums up what's wrong with the English game: that foul play ( and in fact "smashing" implies you want to hurt your opponent), is a perfectly acceptable part of the game whereas cheeky displays of skill are not. That cannot be right. When a Brazilian player does it everyone goes nuts saying how brilliant it is.

No doubt that Roberts & Savage would pathetically argue I've never played the game professionally but as a fan I think they're very, very wrong. We should applaud skill and entertainment on the pitch but condemn serious and deliberate foul play.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Yeah but what Kebe did wasn't show boating? It was taking the piss. He pulled his socks up not did a fancy trick with the ball. He deserves to be taken out and don't say it wouldn't be done in spanish, portugese or italian football. If you watch those leagues, someone doing that would be taken out

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Agree completely. I was also amazed that Shearer and Hansen thought that WBA incident was a penalty

Is that the one in the last minute of the game? Doran I think it was. Complete dive, was expecting them so slaughter him. Nope, they said it should have been a pen. Absolute bollox.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I agree & Along a similar line-when Rhonaldino was just emerging as a talent and lobbed David Seaman in the World cup-all the so called Experts,ex players among them claimed it was a fluke-yet deluded me here who has never played professionally,but has played with 2 ex Brighton before they played for Albion amongst others players at a much lower level,knew all along that it was fully intentioned-look what he went on to do after that world cup ? ? ? amazing,we should praise skill.

I agree & Along a similar line-when Rhonaldino was just emerging as a talent and lobbed David Seaman in the World cup-all the so called Experts,ex players among them claimed it was a fluke-yet deluded me here who has never played professionally,but has played with 2 ex Brighton amongst others players at a much lower level,knew all along that it was fully intentioned-look what he went on to do after that world cup ? ? ? amazing,we should praise skill.

He's since admitted he didn't go for that.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
He's since admitted he didn't go for that.

did he,i stand corrected then,however i still maintain that it's possible to do such things-it happens all day long on the training field-players great players try it in matches and pull it off-

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
If you think its worth getting a ban for giving Kebe a kicking then god help us. Immature is all can say. Collison has deliberately weakened the West Ham team for the next game. Pat him on the back.

did he,i stand corrected then,however i still maintain that it's possible to do such things-it happens all day long on the training field-players great players try it in matches and pull it off-

Of course it's possible, but it happens more often in training when the pressure is off. How much abuse would Ronaldinho have got if he'd gone for that and it dropped safely over the bar?

If you think its worth getting a ban for giving Kebe a kicking then god help us. Immature is all can say. Collison has deliberately weakened the West Ham team for the next game. Pat him on the back.

I don't think it's worth getting banned for, and as we don't play West Ham next I'm not pleased they are weakened, but if a player is taking the piss that will frustrate some and they will get clattered.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Of course it's possible, but it happens more often in training when the pressure is off. How much abuse would Ronaldinho have got if he'd gone for that and it dropped safely over the bar?

Probably a bit,but i like it,we need to see it-looking at George Best videos from the past he would not give a damn and just go for it-oh sod you he would say i'll just lob you etc

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Players get frustrated by things all the time - poor supply, bad decisions by refs, bad decisions by team mates, a goal keeper on unbeatable form, etc. Are they allowed to clatter people just because they've been frustrated? Of course not, so why is it ok to clatter an opponent who is doing something that frustrates them?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I totally agree with the OP. Was listening to the phone in and thought Savage and Roberts were wrong. Yes - showboating may not be the 'English' way but no excuse for Collison crudely clattering the guy which was far worse. Anyone that has played any decent level of footie will be annoyed by showboating but should be capable of dealing with that and if anything use it to get fired up and raise your own game.

Whilst talking about Savage and Roberts I get increasingly annoyed by their overbearing attitude towards callers if they happen to disagree - it's a phone in encouraging points of view. They all too quickly trot out the 'have you played professional footie - no, so you don't know what you are talking about' line which in my eyes means they have lost the point of the show.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What is skillful about pretending to pull your socks up?

Nothing and if that is what has happened i don't know btw,then it's not show boating in my book either,deal with it i say,ask Gus what he would have to say on this and i am sure he would say similar to what he said a few weeks ago about Evra...(just my opinion) too many players like Savage only know one way,their way and if it does not suit them,then they cry like baby's or get all aggressive......the true greats have Savage traits as a base and many more string to their bow.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
People seem to forget that the ball is still in play and its up to the opposition to try to get possession back. If they dont then the team with the ball is entitled to do what it likes - maybe not showboat, prefereably attack or at least pass it around of course. However the Hammers players stood off rather than try to get the ball fairly so they might get back into the game.

It's the same attitude that makes me laugh when opposing fans (and some less than gifted opposition players) try to con the Ref when Casper is playing the ball out slowly. We have possession, if you want it then come and get it. If you can't be bothered then we'll just keep it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
People seem to forget that the ball is still in play and its up to the opposition to try to get possession back. If they dont then the team with the ball is entitled to do what it likes - maybe not showboat, prefereably attack or at least pass it around of course. However the Hammers players stood off rather than try to get the ball fairly so they might get back into the game.

It's the same attitude that makes me laugh when opposing fans (and some less than gifted opposition players) try to con the Ref when Casper is playing the ball out slowly. We have possession, if you want it then come and get it. If you can't be bothered then we'll just keep it.

Exactly-come and get it-meanwhile we will defend by keeping possesion

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree & Along a similar line-when Rhonaldino was just emerging as a talent and lobbed David Seaman in the World cup-all the so called Experts,ex players among them claimed it was a fluke-yet deluded me here who has never played professionally,but has played with 2 ex Brighton before they played for Albion amongst others players at a much lower level,knew all along that it was fully intentioned-look what he went on to do after that world cup ? ? ? amazing,we should praise skill.
It was a fluke. Just because he was the best player in the world for a time doesn't mean that wasn't a fluke - it was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here