Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Savage and Roberts could not be more wrong on show boating debate.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I thought it was hilarious, literally laughed out loud, wet sham getting beaten 2 nil and having the mick taken out of em, bloody marvellous. Too be honest, I've often wondered why incredibly skillfull footballers don't demonstrate their 'skills' a bit more often on the football pitch. I mean, lots of people can pass a football or hit a half decent shot but these pro's can do all sorts of magic that we never get to see. As for retaliating and getting sent off, WHAT a muppet :)

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
Anyone been listening to the "show boating" debate on 5 live?

For those who've missed it, Jason Roberts slammed a caller yesterday for daring to defend Jimmy Kebe, the Reading player who "show boated," when they were 2 nil up v West Ham. The caller then dared to question Robert's view that any player doing that should be "taken out." Savage then piled in saying he'd "smash" any show boating player. Ditto other professionals today.

This attitude sums up what's wrong with the English game: that foul play ( and in fact "smashing" implies you want to hurt your opponent), is a perfectly acceptable part of the game whereas cheeky displays of skill are not. That cannot be right. When a Brazilian player does it everyone goes nuts saying how brilliant it is.

No doubt that Roberts & Savage would pathetically argue I've never played the game professionally but as a fan I think they're very, very wrong. We should applaud skill and entertainment on the pitch but condemn serious and deliberate foul play.

I heard that debate thought they were spot on the guy who phoned was a total a*se and had no perception of context, as obviously you dont either...

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Not read the whole thread but you have to earn the right to play and skilful players, in an entertainment business, are entitled to show their skills.

I remember the great Leeds team keeping the ball and knocking it around (bit like we did at times last year). I also remember Best toying with opponents, Peter Knowles once siting on a ball, another player being able to take his boot off whilst having the ball at their feet. So all these should have been "smashed" by lesser players?

It's a pro game, if you can play that much better than your opponents and have the time then show some skill. It's what we all want to see, isn't it, that little peice of showmanship & magic?

Was Reyes showboating last week when he flicked that ball over an opponent?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not read the whole thread but you have to earn the right to play and skilful players, in an entertainment business, are entitled to show their skills.

I remember the great Leeds team keeping the ball and knocking it around (bit like we did at times last year). I also remember Best toying with opponents, Peter Knowles once siting on a ball, another player being able to take his boot off whilst having the ball at their feet. So all these should have been "smashed" by lesser players?

It's a pro game, if you can play that much better than your opponents and have the time then show some skill. It's what we all want to see, isn't it, that little peice of showmanship & magic?

Was Reyes showboating last week when he flicked that ball over an opponent?

Well said !

Players who have to resort to clattering a player because they're having the piss taken out of them need to work on their own game.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Does this mean anyone who runs the ball into the corner to use up a bit of time should be smashed or clattered

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Personally I have no interest in what Savage says ...spends most of his time laughing at his own jokes or talking over the top of anyone who dares to offer an alternative opinion

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
I'm not being funny but I could not see how Kebe showboated at all. i swear all he did was pull up his socks?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I agree with the above. Kebe has every right to pull up his socks if literally no West Ham player is going to challenge him. Let's remember how frequently opposition fans get incensed when Casper holds the ball up and does nothing with it in open play - we tell them to f*** off, as if none of their players are going to close him down, then he has every right to do whatever he likes on the ball.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It was a fluke. Just because he was the best player in the world for a time doesn't mean that wasn't a fluke - it was.

no it wasn't. Michael Robinson no less will tell you so.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
A Brighton player showboated a few years ago and the management team at the time 'dealt' with him inhouse at a training session the following Monday for 'taking the piss out of a fellow pro'

smelly

May 23, 2004
Having watched that i can only draw this conclusion-

No show boating in pulling up socks or making it look that way,players do it all the time,i move my balls and my missus inter prates this as scratching-

Can't see show boating at all there,i would expect any team to do the same-

as for the lad sent off-frustration and harsh on him,however his foot was slightly raised,and he pushed the player and being in front of the lino what did he expect..

I would have booked the feigning of injury by the floored player too.

Didn't even "do him" properly just gave him a typical modern day footballer girlie slap.
Like to have seen Kebe try that with Tommy Smith Norman hunter or indeed football genius within a taxi ride of him!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
A Brighton player showboated a few years ago and the management team at the time 'dealt' with him inhouse at a training session the following Monday for 'taking the piss out of a fellow pro'

You've got to give us more than that. I have an idea who the player might be, but who knows which bunch of footballing neanderthals we had on the coaching staff at that time.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
The likes of Tommy Smith and Norman Hunter along with the Dads shouting "kick him" at the school football match might just be the reason our children don't grow up practising technique like the Europeans and Brazilians. Just a thought

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to the laws of the game, law four (players' equipment) under basic equipment is the following requirement

Shinguards
-are covered entirely by stockings
-are made of rubber, plastic, or similar suitable material
-provide a reasonable degree of protection

If his socks were falling down, he is required by the law of the game to pull them up to ensure they cover his shinguard.

Clearly he was just being a good boy, and not showboating.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I laughed when Kebe did that, as did several thousand Reading fans.

If someone takes the piss out of you in the street and you smack them as a result, you have absolutely no defence whatsoever in a court of law as a result. Collision lost his rag, stupid boy, and got what he deserved.

Incidentally, has any football expert described Collison as "not that kind of player" yet, as inevitably happens with red cards these days?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here